Can a link hack my phone by simply clicking and opening it?

Basuny00

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
I got a link from my friend on Facebook
I opened the link and it was a fake poor designed copy of Amazon with the name of "Amazon 30th anniversary celebration"
As soon as I saw the webpage I answered all 4 personal info related questions on the survey
With wrong and random answers
And then left after I got bored with the webpage

A few hours later the link is now known by almost everyone in my country to which I was surprised thinking I was the only one who got the link

What scares me is that everyone claims it hacks your phone and installs malware and steals all your sensitive data

It has been about 24 hours since this happened and nothing was installed nor any private account or data were hacked or stolen on my phone

But I am still not sure if I have been really hacked or not because I don't know how infected links and hacking in general really work

Update: I used link checkers and all came as "malicious" and even checkers like "scumware.org" pointed out the file that the website downloads it was something like "xxx.Atrojan"and I don't know what to do at this point as there is no app/file installed by the website to even try to delete

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

The answers that you gave to those questions were of no interest to them. What they wanted was a reply, so that they would have your account details or similar. Since you sent no reply, that attempt will have been frustrated.

Basuny00

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
There wasn't actually any Question about my email/passwords or any fake login pages

My problem is that everyone is telling me even if the website didn't download anything, it could still have hacked me because I opened it.

And I am not yet ready to do a factory reset because I have no backups prepared

So I wanted to know if a link could really hack my phone without any downloads

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Simply going to the link wouldn't cause any harm. If you were prompted to download a file and then agree to its installation, that would be bad. But as a general rule, don't even mess around with any bogus sites -- it won't achieve anything.

It would be reasonable to install Malwarebytes and run a scan to be more reassured.

Basuny00

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Yes
I was expecting a surprise on his face
But it turns out he shared it to all his friends because the survey asked him to and not a hacker who did it

That is very common to happen from my friend he falls for such stuff easily and I helped him recover his hacked accounts several times but this time

Instead of usually opening the links he sends to me (and mostly all of his friends) on an old test phone I had for scenarios like these
I instead rushed and directly opened it from my main phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty