Can I install CM11 on my Sprint s3 running KitKat already?

geronimo4242

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I want to make myself clear. I have a stock sprint s3 running KitKat 4.4.2. I am rooted and have TWRP recovery. Can I install CM11 on TWRP? Or do I have to downgrade to a certain O.S to install CM11? Thanks for replying. :)

BTW- Ignore the " G " on the title, it was a mistake. Can't figure out how to edit that.
Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There have been a lot of changes to the S3 since I used it. I would guess that since you are already rooted, and have a custom recovery on, you can flash CM as you are right now. However, I would also confirm that before doing anything. As always, make a Nandroid backup of your current setup in case anything happens.

Edit: you might want to check this out: http://galaxys3root.com/

geronimo4242

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks but flashing CM11 failed. I don't know why, as I have the latest twrp. I couldn't really know why as when it failed, it said something along the lines " get prop ; bootloader " or something like that I am not really sure.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but flashing CM11 failed. I don't know why, as I have the latest twrp. I couldn't really know why as when it failed, it said something along the lines " get prop ; bootloader " or something like that I am not really sure.

Try redownloading the file.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

geronimo4242

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again, but it still failed. I even tried to download another cm11 file. Still failed. I tried installing a 4.3 ROM but it says the same thing. I tried installing a 4.2. ROM specifically Pacman ROM but it just stayed at the pacman logo forever. So I knew it didn't work.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Knox is getting in the way. I will be honest, I do t know how to flash a ROM with Knox installed.

geronimo4242

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
You were right. I had Knox. I forgot about that whenever I was trying to flash. But then the problem is still occurring even though I removed it with titanium backup.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Knox is in the bootloader too. I think you have to bypass that. I think you have to use a safestrap method.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Could someone explain what Knox is? Thanks!
Update, OK I Google it and see that it is an app you use to separate personal from work stuff on your phone, so I think I don't have to worry about it. I haven't Downloaded it.

Last edited:

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Not quite. Knox is a security suite. It's been around on most Samsung devices since 4.3 (with some devices even getting it when they got updated to 4.2!). So if you have an S3 that was updated through 4.2/4.3/4.4 or came right out the box with one of those, then it's in there. Knox isn't just an app, either - part of it, as mentioned before, is also in the bootloader. So getting rid of it can be quite a pain in the nuts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome