Can I remove those big faces?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I have just started to use an Android phone, and I'm really irritated by all these big boxes in the contacts and phone applications. I didn't understand what they were, and then I realised that they are there for us to put photographs of contacts.
But I have no wish to mount photographs of my contacts, so these big box-faces are a real waste of space. Is there anyway to get rid of them?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Nova Launcher?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

What does Nova launcher have to do with the People app??

You'll have to try a 3rd party contact manager. The photos are not a defeatable option of the built-in contact manager.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have just started to use an Android phone, and I'm really irritated by all these big boxes in the contacts and phone applications. I didn't understand what they were, and then I realised that they are there for us to put photographs of contacts.
But I have no wish to mount photographs of my contacts, so these big box-faces are a real waste of space. Is there anyway to get rid of them?

I would want the same thing. But, unfortunately, Google decided not to give us that option- which is really stupid because it wastes so much vertical space (making the list twice as long as necessary). You would have to use a third-party contacts app (if you can find one).

Most of the stock Android apps have very few customization options.

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
A smart phone would not force me to do what the majority of people do. And in any case, I doubt very much if the majority of people like the "faces". They're just resigned to what they are given.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't really like the faces either, so I ended up replacing them with a solid black background. The little box is still there but at least you don't have to see the faces.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CM 11

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't really like the faces either, so I ended up replacing them with a solid black background. The little box is still there but at least you don't have to see the faces.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CM 11
Although, this could be quite time consuming, given the number of contacts one has, it is an excellent suggestion. :cool:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
A smart phone would not force me to do what the majority of people do.
It doesn't. Android has 3rd party app integration...you are never forced to use Google's default app for anything.

The reason the option does not exist in Google's app is because, as stated before, the vast majority of users like faces. It would be like asking "why does google have the Androuid UI in color when I only like monochrome?"

And in any case, I doubt very much if the majority of people like the "faces".
Start a poll and find out. Don't take our word for it.

Yes, most people consider faces to be an asset. Not just on Android, but on all smartphone platforms. WP, and iOS and BB do it too.

Thanks.
That's a shame. Can you recommend a third party contacts app, by any chance?
All the 3rd party apps I know of also include faces. It is a running theme. There does not appear to be a huge demand for faceless contact apps.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not even think about that. But that's a great solution. Make the box the same color as the background and you will not even notice it at all.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I did not even think about that. But that's a great solution. Make the box the same color as the background and you will not even notice it at all.

It is not a solution at all because the primary reason for not wanting the faces is that it takes up tons of space and makes the list of contacts 2 to 3 times longer/larger than it needs to be.

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, it appears that nothing can be done about these big empty boxes. Perhaps I should ask all my clients for their photographs. Ha ha. I'll just look for a more efficient contact manager. If I find one I'll let those of you who are interested know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24