Can I restore an album I moved to my SD card?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Moved an album of over 2500 items to my sd card and it has absolutely no order at all. No sort option will get it the way it was. Can I restore my original album somehow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I believe that when you move or copy a photo file, its date changes to the date of the file transfer. So any gallery app will think every photo was "taken" on the same day. The filename should still reflect the date and time it was taken, so you could try a gallery app that sorts by filename, not date.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
A bad design decision by the Android team was to not preserve the file dates when moving/copying files.

Badly written picture viewing apps will look at the file dates for sorting purposes.
The correctly written picture viewing apps will look at the capture dates in the EXIF data. If you need a gallery app that does it correctly, give this one a try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diune.pictures

ErikB335

Jul 17, 2019
Visit site
Its an s10

Problem with file names is theyre all random because they were downloaded through the browser and other apps

My older phone (s7) had a small chance of keeping files in the same order when copied/moved to the sd or internal

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Its an s10

Problem with file names is theyre all random because they were downloaded through the browser and other apps

My older phone (s7) had a small chance of keeping files in the same order when copied/moved to the sd or internal
Hi ,welcome!
The only thing I can think , if you had sync on to your Samsung cloud before moving a to sd card might be able to restore them

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So how were you organizing them before? Presumably it wasn't by date taken, since it sounds like they're not camera shots.

You could rename the files manually so that they're displayed in alphanumeric filename order (if you use a gallery app like Piktures, as suggested by ManiacJoe above).