Can I undo a settings change on a Galaxy?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So, I was in "Settings> Connections> Data usage> Wi-Fi data usage" going through the list of Apps to see if anything unnecessary was on it. I routinely go through Apps turning off background data (even though my understanding is that it applies to mobile data/ metered networks only), and was just coming at it this way to see if any were falling through the cracks.

I did find a few that had escaped me before and toggled off background data for them, no problem. Then there was one called "10000" which wasn't familiar to me. It had the green Android head icon so I presumed it was a system app, but couldn't tell anything else. I saw it had background data enabled.

Since I was on a tablet, not a phone, and since (to my knowledge?) the only data available to it is Wi-Fi, and since background data shouldn't therefore serve any purpose, I toggled it off.

I then got feedback that some of my assumptions may have been in error because Settings promptly crashed. Vague alarms went off in my brain, but I tried to quell the rising panic and reopened Settings. It opened. Yay! I went to Connections. Still ok. Yay! To Data usage. All fine. Whew! With happy feelings of relief coursing through me, I went to Wi-Fi data usage again to turn background data on for "10000" until I could find out more. Anybody know what happened next?

Yep - Settings crashed. Again. Not yay. So now I don't know what I've done or broken or how to fix it. I can get into Settings, but not "Wi-Fi data usage" as it crashes at that point, even in safe mode (which I tried as a Hail Mary). I can't find this mystery app "10000" in my Apps list, even with "Show System Apps" on. So I'm out of ideas.

Google seems to say no, but is there any Master "Undo previous action" command? I'm keeping factory reset as a last resort, so is there anything I could try before that? I do backup all Apps as well as my Settings to Cloud Storage, but I've never had to revert to a previous version of anything, so I'm a bit ashamed to admit I don't know how to go about it. Normally I'd just feel my way through but I'm a bit gun shy right now lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I apologize for how long this is - I've yet to work out how to be succinct.

dreamrealm

Oct 14, 2019
Visit site
Ok, thank you! I hadn't thought about that and I'd definitely prefer it over factory reset. I've been looking around since I posted this and restoring settings from a backup is seeming less likely.

Do you know, is there a way to grant all apps permission for background data? At once, I mean? That would let me fix just this issue, rather than having all my settings revert to their defaults. I'd still need to go through apps individually afterward if I wanted it off for any. It would be less work than all my settings though because I have way too many things customized.

Thanks again either way; that's a much better option than anything I'd thought of!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo