Can I use the Note 4 without battery, just plugged to the socket?

zorg

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I use a lot the Galaxy Note at my desk, doing tethering or just using the phone sitting in the same place for hours, near a power point (socket).

To avoid using the battery unnecessarily, couldn't I use the phone without battery, plugged to the socket?
Thank you in advance.

ssundaybay

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Impossible! Your phone won’t work as a laptop. When you remove the battery you break the charging circuit. When you take out the battery and turn the charger on, you lose the circuitry, cause the thing you call “a charger” isn’t a charger in reality. It simply provides your device with power right out of the socket. The real charger is your battery – it regulates the voltage and makes your device work. If the battery is not compatible with your phone you’ll kill your beloved device.

zorg

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your answers.
I'll do what Jay Sacks said. When I'll be at my desk for hours, I'll use the phone plugged to the socket and with the battery in it.
Sometime ago people said that batteries could be damaged (because of the heat or something like that) when plugged, but I think that's no true any more.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your answers.
I'll do what Jay Sacks said. When I'll be at my desk for hours, I'll use the phone plugged to the socket and with the battery in it.
Sometime ago people said that batteries could be damaged (because of the heat or something like that) when plugged, but I think that's no true any more.

That will work fine. While leaving the battery at 100% voltage for extended periods of time is not the best thing in the world for the battery, the overall damage done is very minimal, and probably unnoticeable over a year or two.

Plus, a new battery for the thing is $10-20. I currently have a total of 4 batteries for my Note 4. It's a whole lot easier to just pop a battery out and pop a fresh one in than walking around with a battery pack hanging off the delicate USB port.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

This was more true several years ago when early smartphones weren't really smart enough to stop pumping juice into the battery once it was fully charged.

I wouldn't use my phone for 8 hours straight with it still plugged in, but a 10 min here, 20 min there over an extended period of time shouldn't hurt it.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think you are pretty safe leaving plugged in as much as you wish. I am going on 4 years plugged in with my Droid x as a clock.
They are now advertising new apps to use your old smart phone as security cameras. Plugged in all the time of course.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I've been using my 2-1/2 year old phone exactly that way (plugged in for days) and the battery still has about the same discharge curve it had after its first conditioning, I think it's safe to say - without all the guessing - that it's safe to use a phone that way. (I still keep my older phones - pre-smartphone-era - plugged in too. I haven't run discharge tests on the batteries, but they seem to work about the same as when they were new.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
razpie