Can I use the USB port for charging and a mouse at the same time?

donald_s

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My tablet has a mini-usb plug. I can charge with it, or I can hook up a hub and use a mouse and keyboard with it. But I can't seem to get both to work. Do I need a special hub? Or is it somehow exclusive?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My tablet has a mini-usb plug. I can charge with it, or I can hook up a hub and use a mouse and keyboard with it. But I can't seem to get both to work. Do I need a special hub? Or is it somehow exclusive?

It's likely due to the power output needed to power each device. If both are in use at the same time, and not working, then not enough power is being supplied so neither will work.

You'll need to find alternatives that use less power. Unfortunately if none are available, then there may not be a workaround aside from going with a Bluetooth solution.

Let us know how it goes.

donald_s

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that is the problem. I have it hooked up to an a/c plug that is charging the tablet. They can get all the amps they needs. I just don't think it can deliver power and a signal at the same time. I don't know why.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only way to connect a mouse and a charger to the same port is with a microUSB Y cable - and they're wired to provide power to the device plugged into the phone (the mouse in your case), not to the phone. (The power wire only goes one way.) You'd have to find a "charge the phone while having something plugged in" cable or rewire a standard one to use a USB mouse and charge the phone at the same time. (Or use Qi wireless charging. Or a wireless Bluetooth mouse.)