cannot unlock Kindle Fire HD 8.9

jsfrisbie

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
I have had a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for 6+ years and it has served me very well - until today.
Normal operation: When I first power ON, the UNLOCK screen shows and I swipe to unlock; no password or PIN required.

Now: When the UNLOCK screen shows, I swipe and nothing happens. I know the touch screen is active, since I am able to shut down by responding to on-screen prompts .

I have tried the shutdown "reset" procedure by holding down the Power button, a couple ways: 40 seconds while holding Volume Down button, and 40 seconds without holding the Volume button.

Suggestions?

jsfrisbie

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to mustang7757 and B. Diddy for the quick responses and suggestions. Well, it seems I have a couple problems. I could not get past the Unlock screen to even get to the Settings menu. I finally got past the Unlock screen by holding down on the Lock for several seconds; it then responded. So, once I got in I was able to open a game [slowly, not very responsive] but am not able, no matter what I try, to swipe down and get to Settings. Suggestions for that? I did another Soft Reset but that did not help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to mustang7757 and B. Diddy for the quick responses and suggestions. Well, it seems I have a couple problems. I could not get past the Unlock screen to even get to the Settings menu. I finally got past the Unlock screen by holding down on the Lock for several seconds; it then responded. So, once I got in I was able to open a game [slowly, not very responsive] but am not able, no matter what I try, to swipe down and get to Settings. Suggestions for that? I did another Soft Reset but that did not help.
Hi , no problem

Try this to do factory reset

https://youtu.be/KCNfGf7OMO4

jsfrisbie

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
Sorry - I forgot to mention that part. No I was not. When I did the Soft Reset [repeatedly], it just booted up normally to the Unlock screen, not into Recovery mode.

jsfrisbie

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
OK - Well, thanks for the suggestions you gave. I wonder if there is something where, if it is opened up, a couple strategic contacts could be shorted. Just a random idea. . . .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK - Well, thanks for the suggestions you gave. I wonder if there is something where, if it is opened up, a couple strategic contacts could be shorted. Just a random idea. . . .
If you like maybe take look at xda forums see if any tips over there might help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos