Cannot update latest security patch Essential PH-1.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I bought a second ESSENTIAL PH-1 as a backup phone, but I am not getting beyond the May security update. The phone arrived Tuesday and all seemed well. I still don't have a sim card in there but basically installed the phone from my other PH-1's cloud backup. Again, all was fine.

Until yesterday when the latest security patch wouldn't update. At just before it is finished downloading it stops and I get a message "Installation Paused. Installation will automatically resume when the device is idle" Uhhhh, wtf? I am doing nothing with the device. It's sitting next to the wifi router with no apps open.

So I hit RESUME and then I get COULDN'T UPDATE, INSTALLATION PROBLEM.

I have rebooted multiple times, tried my neighbor's wifi network. Nothing works.

At a loss after much research I wiped the phone and installed as a new phone. No copying from the cloud.

SAME RESULT!

I am just lost here, folks and no, I do NOT know how to sideload. That looks way beyond me.

What can I do? I am, thinking of just returning the device to Amazon .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
New phone + doesn't work = have it replaced. Stop wasting your time trying to fix the manufacturer's problem.

Bay 13

Apr 29, 2018
Visit site
I bought a second ESSENTIAL PH-1 as a backup phone, but I am not getting beyond the May security update. The phone arrived Tuesday and all seemed well. I still don't have a sim card in there but basically installed the phone from my other PH-1's cloud backup. Again, all was fine.

Until yesterday when the latest security patch wouldn't update. At just before it is finished downloading it stops and I get a message "Installation Paused. Installation will automatically resume when the device is idle" Uhhhh, wtf? I am doing nothing with the device. It's sitting next to the wifi router with no apps open.

So I hit RESUME and then I get COULDN'T UPDATE, INSTALLATION PROBLEM.

I have rebooted multiple times, tried my neighbor's wifi network. Nothing works.

At a loss after much research I wiped the phone and installed as a new phone. No copying from the cloud.

SAME RESULT!

I am just lost here, folks and no, I do NOT know how to sideload. That looks way beyond me.

What can I do? I am, thinking of just returning the device to Amazon .

Hi, was it new, open box, refurbished or used? I purchased the PH-1 off ebay and the seller sent me an open box display phone. It would not update at all. I do believe that phones that was supplied to retailers as display units do not ever update. I sent it back and brought a mint white open box phone that was unlocked and updated the OS and security patch as soon as I popped sim in. It is on July Security Patch.

I would send it back ASAP...