Can't flash new ROM - can't restore backup - stuck in BOOT LOOP. HELP!!!

lj5625

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all!

Here's my situation. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, especially since I need my phone for work!!!

I have an HTC Evo (bought it in December) that I rooted through UnrEVOked 3.3. I flashed a free Cyanogen Mod from piece of sh*t ROM Manager, and all was well (except for Android Market not showing up).

The problem arose in Clockwork Mod (v. 2.5), when I tried to restore either of my two nandroid backups (Jan 3, 2011, and Jan. 16, 2011). I kept getting back an "MD5 mismatch" error on both backups.

So, I tried to simply reboot, and I got stuck in a BOOT LOOP! I followed some advice on forums and tried moving a custom stock ROM to my SDcard and PC, then flashing it to my phone.

However, once I tried to flash either of them, I got this message:

Copying files ?

E: Can?t symlink /system/xbin/[

E: Failure at line 13: symlink busybox SYSTEM:xbin/[

Installation aborted

I've done countless battery pulls, wipe data/factory reset, wiped cached - did these numerous times.

I'm at wit's end on what to do...Can anyone please help me, either with restoring my backups or flashing a new ROM. This bootloop is killing me ...

If you'd like to e-mail me, I'm at lj5625@gmail.com.

Thanks!

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
*Unroot 2.2* 3.29.651.5 10/20/10 - xda-developers

Use that to unroot. Then instead of the pc36img they give you use this one

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Then use this to reroot.

[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers

Then use Amon RA Recovery instead of Clockwork.

[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.2.1 - xda-developers

Then download your ROM's zip file to your computer. While it is downloading reformat your sd card.

[ROM][BBQ] CyanogenMod-6.1 for EVO :: V6.1.2 (12/30/2010) - xda-developers

Then put it on your sd card and then flash it thru recovery instead of Rom manager.

Last edited:

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thefredelement my friend he has the same exact problem I had I ended up with a craped out sdcard but managed to use it to get the phone back up and running because the rom manager doesn't wipe the phone it says it does so you think you could flash right over but you cant.

what he should do is get the amon RA recovery back on or plain out on there use the 2.2 not the 2.2.1 once you do that wipe everything in the recovery menu and if your sdcard holds up you should be able to flash your backups if not just get a damn good old stock rom on there.

what will start to happen like with mine it was f#*#ing up my phone using that sdcard it was doing major damage if I stuck the sdcard into my gf phone her phone would freeze up and almost to the point where you had to pull out the battery and in my optimus s that I originally used it in and first starting to show signs of craping out on me it completely stopped the phone and started constantly rebooting.

and wouldn't turn on if that sdcard was in so just extract that recovery image onto the root of your sdcard and in command prompt type this command in

(Flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery <-- what ever recovery image you have and after that type

reboot recovery

Hope you get your phone up and running I just figured this out by personal experience a week ago

Sent From PrittyBoy's Evo 4G

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I mean just ones with root access in corporated and wipe I mean do a factory reset and wipe the data the cache and the dalvki that's what clears up the phone but your recovery image that you have isn't wiping crap it looks like it but your not so when you flash anything your getting the same exact errors thar I had

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
UNrevoked wont really do much but if you do what I said about putting the amon RA recovery image on your sdcard and do that command with the last part using the name of the recovery image you can get a better recovery image on your phone that will wipe it an the you'll be able to flash roms again trust me its better than waisting alot of time it way quicker and will work

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
So what have you tried since finding out your phone bootloops? Do you have a sdcard reader the one you put the sdcard into your PC does that come up with errors or does it tell you you might have to format the sdcard? Cuz that happened to mine but for some reason it barley worked im my phone

lj5625

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So what have you tried since finding out your phone bootloops? Do you have a sdcard reader the one you put the sdcard into your PC does that come up with errors or does it tell you you might have to format the sdcard? Cuz that happened to mine but for some reason it barley worked im my phone

My computer and laptop both have built-in SD card readers, and I'm using an adapter. I did a check on the SD card for errors, and the scan came back negative ...

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok so its not your sdcard but your phone might not be wiping Cuz of the clockwork try to get the other recovery image up and then factory reset your phone and wipe the cache and dalvki then flash your backups or flash a rom and you should be good with you alot of work trust you have a few options but its up to you on what you want to do you know

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok so its not your sdcard but your phone might not be wiping Cuz of the clockwork try to get the other recovery image up and then factory reset your phone and wipe the cache and dalvki then flash your backups or flash a rom and you should be good with you alot of work trust you have a few options but its up to you on what you want to do you know

It could still be the sd card. More the files on their sd card. The card should be formatted. They should go back to stock and then root the right way and then do a clean flash of a rom.

lj5625

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I want to thank EVERYONE who offered forth advice. I FIXED my problem, thanks to all the help. I located an Amon Ra recovery file, downloaded it to my sd from my PC, updated it as my new recovery, then flashed a new stock rom. Bam! Fixed!

Rom Manager and Clockwork Mod can KISS MY A**!!!!!! I'm deleting them from my phone into oblivion! Can't believe they've been around so long, and yet they're still so buggy. WEAK CHEESE!!!!

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I want to thank EVERYONE who offered forth advice. I FIXED my problem, thanks to all the help. I located an Amon Ra recovery file, downloaded it to my sd from my PC, updated it as my new recovery, then flashed a new stock rom. Bam! Fixed!

Rom Manager and Clockwork Mod can KISS MY A**!!!!!! I'm deleting them from my phone into oblivion! Can't believe they've been around so long, and yet they're still so buggy. WEAK CHEESE!!!!

It is most likely Unrevoked. You will probably have the issue again because of it. I did. Once I went back to stock and then rooted the right way and now I don't have the problem unless I download a corrupted file.

And I would hope you could locate the Amon RA Recovery file because I posted a link to it in post #2. Lol.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Glad to here which did you use there was also conflicts with both clockwork and Amon RA 2.2.1 they both where doing something funky with the phones also they are updating something where this thing called legacy script or smali idle something in code or what ever is getting updated so that gingerbread is support with these recoverys so the 2.2 is solid and wont Jack anything up its the most reliable one that still supports old roms and file types im not exact on what is changing but I read to much my brain can't handle all this crazy codes and rooting things lol :) glad your up and running

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Cyanogen is the most stable, awesome, most feature packed rom out there in A LOT of peoples opinions. So id suggest giving it another go when your up to it, i really doubt it was the roms fault.

Wish i woulda got here earlier, you coulda just loaded sprint lovers rom thru the bootloader :p

JayStation3

Nov 21, 2010
www.wwwdotcom.com
*Unroot 2.2* 3.29.651.5 10/20/10 - xda-developers

Use that to unroot. Then instead of the pc36img they give you use this one

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Then use this to reroot.

[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers

Then use Amon RA Recovery instead of Clockwork.

[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.2.1 - xda-developers

Then download your ROM's zip file to your computer. While it is downloading reformat your sd card.

[ROM][BBQ] CyanogenMod-6.1 for EVO :: V6.1.2 (12/30/2010) - xda-developers

Then put it on your sd card and then flash it thru recovery instead of Rom manager.
I would just do this ^^^ - and you should be okay... I had the same problem using RM, I have written off CWMod and now only use Amon_Ra... I too bought ROM Manager - but I really dont use it - I do everyt hing manually now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85