Can't get my laptop to find my Chromecast

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
So I finally got a response back from Google. Here' s a copy of what they sent:
We're sorry to hear you're having issues with your Chromecast. If you?re still experiencing issues, it may be easier for you to call our support line so we can walk you through some troubleshooting steps. You can reach our support team by calling (855) 836-3987.

You may also want to have the following information readily available when you call:

- The device you are using to set up Chromecast (i.e. HP Win Laptop / Macbook Pro / Galaxy Nexus / iPad, etc)
- What operating system the device is running (i.e. Windows 7, Android 4.1, etc)
- Your router make and model (Netgear N150, etc)
- Any special configurations on your router that you are aware of (i.e. AP isolation enabled, uPNP disabled, Static IP addresses)

So I called them and the agent on the line said I would need to reply with the answers of their questions and the agent assigned to it will contact me. To make things even better he said he doesn't have a time table available on when they will call but soon.

I'll update this if I hear anything

OmegaNemesis28

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issues. Wired on my Win8 machine, cannot see Chromecast on the same network but obviously its wireless.

I'm using Verizon FIOS, so its an Actiontech router. Which apparently doesnt even support AP isolation.

It is worth noting though I have been having trouble with chrome lately on my desktop. Google Update service fails to function, and thus Chrome Remote Desktop also doesn't work. Is the Chromecast service somehow linked to that as well?

Steve Dankert

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same symptoms. I can cast from my android tablet and my daughters chromebook. On my laptop, when I launch the chromecast app it finds my device. When I try to cast from my chrome browser however it says no device found.

I logged a help case with Google and they sent me their phone number. I called and spoke to a technician. He was confident that the issue is in my laptop...no surprise, the other devices all cast fine. No one can tell me why my laptop doesn't work however. I have all of the required elements...latest version of chrome, windows 7, etc.

I'll post any solution I find here.

vxshinobi

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Found this post SOLVED my problem hope it helps...
"Try disabling network adapters like Hyper-V or VM Ware adapters. I had a internal Hyper-V adapter causing my problem. Once I disable it, everything was golden. Good Luck!"
source: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/qFEswK0C8ao

NOTE: You have to do this through Windows, using Device Manager. Go to Device Manager select Network Adapters, look for any virtual adapters created by something like VM ware or some other virtual
machine environment. Right click them and select disable.

kgh6lys.png

Last edited:

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Found this post SOLVED my problem hope it helps...
"Try disabling network adapters like Hyper-V or VM Ware adapters. I had a internal Hyper-V adapter causing my problem. Once I disable it, everything was golden. Good Luck!"
source: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/qFEswK0C8ao

Thanks for the information but it seems I don't have those features in NY router settings. Here's a screen shot of what I have

Sent from my Z10 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1376051141760.jpg
    1376051141760.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 32

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with my Dell laptop also....

I solved it by adding Google Chrome to my exceptions in my firewall.

Once it was added, I reopened the Chrome Browser and it showed up!

My Dell Laptop is using the standard Windows Firewall on Windows XP.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with my Dell laptop also....

I solved it by adding Google Chrome to my exceptions in my firewall.

Once it was added, I reopened the Chrome Browser and it showed up!

My Dell Laptop is using the standard Windows Firewall on Windows XP.

I just tried, nothing. I did call tech support and they said if I don't hear back from them by the time I need to return the unit to do so.

vxshinobi

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information but it seems I don't have those features in NY router settings. Here's a screen shot of what I have

You actually have to do it from Windows, using the Device Manager, then select Network adapters. Look for any of the virtual Network Adapters installed with something like Virtual Machine then right click and select disable.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
You actually have to do it from Windows, using the Device Manager, then select Network adapters. Look for any of the virtual Network Adapters installed with something like Virtual Machine then right click and select disable.

OMG it worked! Woohoo! It was the Blackberry Virtual Private Network. As soon as I disabled it my Chrome browser flickered and it now shows available.

Thank you so much!

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
OMG it worked! Woohoo! It was the Blackberry Virtual Private Network. As soon as I disabled it my Chrome browser flickered and it now shows available.

Thank you so much!

Same here. Went into Device Manager > Network adapters and I disabled Blackberry Virtual Private Network. That fixed it for me too.

Thank you vxshinobi for the fix and thank you kidkamel for confirming the fix!

rbodden89

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any resolutions for someone using Mac OS. I would like to try the same steps but obviously they are different for my OS and I'm unsure how to go about troubleshooting the dilemma. Thank you

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I finally received a response saying they are unsure of the issues. I replied back with the steps of disabling the steps provided. Hopefully they will add it to their FAQ section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali