Can't turn off underlining for words typed

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,
I so far had phones from Samsung and never had this problem before. Now I got a Xiaomi Note 10 Pro and I can't turn off text underlining. What is happening is that every letter or word I type gets underlined, not in red just normal black underlined, until the word or letter is over and a space is pressed. I have disabled every possible spell checker, word suggester or dictionary possible however it still does this and its very annoying.

Is there any way to get rid of this? It does this in all the apps so its not app specific. If I open the same app on my Samsung this isn't present.

Shorty_86

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,
I did register there, and if I click your link it takes me literally there and I can find the above posted question by me.
Anyway, the only available keyboard on the phone is Gboard, I am using that. Haven't tried replacing it with anything as I like it.
I checked and my Samsung uses the Samsung keyboard so it looks like I wasn't using Gboard before, however on the new phone I am using that. So is this a feature that can't be turned off in Gboard?

Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,
I did register there, and if I click your link it takes me literally there and I can find the above posted question by me.
Anyway, the only available keyboard on the phone is Gboard, I am using that. Haven't tried replacing it with anything as I like it.
I checked and my Samsung uses the Samsung keyboard so it looks like I wasn't using Gboard before, however on the new phone I am using that. So is this a feature that can't be turned off in Gboard?

Thanks
Hi, welcome to AC!
That's usually word correction , you mentioned you turned off all those settings that might be by default , I posted screenshot is this what you see ?Screenshot_20210810-230622.jpg

Shorty_86

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi Mustang,

Yes thats the one, however it underlines grammatically correct words too and it disappears after I press space. Also I don't get any correction suggestion under the word like in your case since I've turned everything off.
It does underline totally nonsense word which are obviously not words at all but still disappears after a space:

Screenshot_2021-08-11-06-26-50-776_com.miui.notes.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-11-06-26-58-222_com.miui.notes.jpg

My system language is set to English however my keyboard isn't, but like I said it exactly the same way on my Samsung too and I never get this.

Here are also all the options I could find that are related to word/spell checking and you can see they are all off:

Screenshot_2021-08-05-08-35-09-925_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-05-08-34-57-775_com.google.android.inputmethod.latin.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang,

Yes thats the one, however it underlines grammatically correct words too and it disappears after I press space. Also I don't get any correction suggestion under the word like in your case since I've turned everything off.
It does underline totally nonsense word which are obviously not words at all but still disappears after a space:

View attachment 335827

View attachment 335826

My system language is set to English however my keyboard isn't, but like I said it exactly the same way on my Samsung too and I never get this.

Here are also all the options I could find that are related to word/spell checking and you can see they are all off:

View attachment 335828

View attachment 335829
Hi, this happens both Samsung keyboard and Google with those correction off in settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's just normal behavior. It seems to me just to be an indicator to the user which word is currently being typed, and therefore which word would be replaced if any of the word suggestions were selected. I tested it on my Pixel 3a XL using Gboard and Keep.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I believe that's just normal behavior. It seems to me just to be an indicator to the user which word is currently being typed, and therefore which word would be replaced if any of the word suggestions were selected. I tested it on my Pixel 3a XL using Gboard and Keep.
Im thinking the same , im testing this out both keyboards samsung and gboard

Shorty_86

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site

Could be but I still want to get rid of it, and like I said word suggestion is off so I don't see any reason why its there if the word suggestion is off.

Shorty_86

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Try turning off every Text Correction option in Gboard's settings, and see if it still shows up.

Everything except auto capitalization and double space full stop is off and I still get this.
You are right with that just showing which word is currently highlighted since if I go back to any word typed previously it gets underlined, however I just want this gone.

Shorty_86

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Everything except auto capitalization and double space full stop is off and I still get this.
You are right with that just showing which word is currently highlighted since if I go back to any word typed previously it gets underlined, however I just want this gone.

Yes I did that before, its off and I looked through the phone numerous times but can't find any other options related to spell checking or word suggestion.

Screenshot_2021-08-11-07-06-14-601_com.google.android.inputmethod.latin.jpg