Changing 2,4ghz to 5ghz on Galaxy A3 2017 phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey guys. I was wondering how to change frequency from 2,4ghz to 5ghz on my Galaxy A3 2017 phone? I am fairly sure I have checked every option and checked every page on internet but no luck. Only place I can see 2,4ghz is when I activate mobile hotspot but for example in Wi-Fi options there is nothing about 2,4 or 5.

I am using my mobile phone as on hotspot on my desktop computer. Computer has a TP-link DWA-171 dongle on usb slot and according to specs it should understand 5ghz frequency. How can I make my phone to understand it also? :) I have wipe cache and restored phone to factory defaults but nothing

Greets,
Timo

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're generating the WiFi signal, either there's a choice in the app (in which case you use that) or there isn't (in which case you can't choose).

If you're using a WiFi signal, set up your router to use different names for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, and connect to the one you want.

Verrieri

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
If you're generating the WiFi signal, either there's a choice in the app (in which case you use that) or there isn't (in which case you can't choose).

If you're using a WiFi signal, set up your router to use different names for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, and connect to the one you want.

I dont have any specific application for the hotspot. I just use the one in galaxy A3. Settings --> Mobile hotspot and tethering and connect to DWA-171 using that. Basically DWA-171 is not a router. Its just dongle. I wonder if I get a router for this would it make possible for me to use 5ghz on my mobile?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As I said, "either there's a choice in the app (in which case you use that) or there isn't (in which case you can't choose)".

If you get a router, you'd have to connect it to the internet through a modem (fed by a cable), which, if you could, I assume you'd be doing already. Connecting a router to the phone to create the hotspot? No - Android doesn't do that.

I don't know why you care which band you're using anyway - you don't use a hotspot for long-distance WiFi, and if the PC (or whatever you're connecting to the hotpot) is near the phone, you won't be getting interference from other 2.4GHz signals (which would be the only reason to use 5GHz - the range is shorter, but if there's no clear channel on 2.4GHz where you are [lots of neighbors], using 5GHz gives you come clear space - which isn't a problem with a hotspot and PC near each other.)

Verrieri

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
As I said, "either there's a choice in the app (in which case you use that) or there isn't (in which case you can't choose)".

If you get a router, you'd have to connect it to the internet through a modem (fed by a cable), which, if you could, I assume you'd be doing already. Connecting a router to the phone to create the hotspot? No - Android doesn't do that.

I don't know why you care which band you're using anyway - you don't use a hotspot for long-distance WiFi, and if the PC (or whatever you're connecting to the hotpot) is near the phone, you won't be getting interference from other 2.4GHz signals (which would be the only reason to use 5GHz - the range is shorter, but if there's no clear channel on 2.4GHz where you are [lots of neighbors], using 5GHz gives you come clear space - which isn't a problem with a hotspot and PC near each other.)

Okays, lets see. I was thinking of testing with router in following way. Plug router to my desktop pc via RJ-45 and then share mobile hotspot from my phone to that router. That doesnt work? I am no expert what it comes to these things. Thats why I ask before buying anything new. Afaik that DWA-171 dongle does just that same thing except it is just a stupid dongle without anykind of utility programme where I could choose with frequency to use.

I do have fairly fast connection on my mobile and to my knowledge (I might be very wrong here) 5ghz could increase the speed quite a lot compared to 2,4ghz. According to some info I got from the net, I think thats the case. Also I still wonder why I cannot change frequency on my mobile at all even tho it supports both frequency's?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Okays, lets see. I was thinking of testing with router in following way. Plug router to my desktop pc via RJ-45
There's no way to get internet to the router that way, If you mean connect the PC to the router using Ethernet (RJ-45) that's different.

and then share mobile hotspot
1. The hotspot is a router. 2. You don't "share" the hotspot with anything, things connect to the hotspot.

from my phone to that router. That doesnt work? I am no expert what it comes to these things. Thats why I ask before buying anything new. Afaik that DWA-171 dongle does just that same thing except it is just a stupid dongle without anykind of utility programme where I could choose with frequency to use.
A dongle is just a WiFi adapter for a computer that doesn't have WiFi, but has a USB connector. (Or adding 802.11 ac to an old computer that has only bg.)

I do have fairly fast connection on my mobile and to my knowledge (I might be very wrong here) 5ghz could increase the speed
No, frequency has nothing to do with speed. Protocol (b, g, n, ac, ax) controls speed. (That and the signal strength and quality.) Going to 5GHz basically gives you more channels (useful in a crowded building, especially if it's full of 2.4GHz signals from other families) but shorter range and less penetration.

Also I still wonder why I cannot change frequency on my mobile at all even tho it supports both frequency's
What you can do depends on the software provided, and that depends on the manufacturer (Samsung may only allow band changing in flagship phones, for example) and the carrier (some may actually have the hotspot disabled for certain plans).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp