Charging, no data, security plug

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! I was thinking of buying a security charging cable or plug adapter so there is no data exchange in cars or public charging locales.

I wonder if anyone has found a good one that blocks all data exchange yet allows fast charging?

I've read that some don't really block data and some only allow < 1 amp slow charging?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The simplest way would be to avoid directly plugging in to a USB port, and instead always using a charging plug or a car 9V adapter (ie, a cigarette lighter adapter). That way you can be sure you're just getting power, without the data transfer. Do you often face a situation where you only have a USB port available?

Reactions: J Dubbs and rvbfan

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The simplest way would be to avoid directly plugging in to a USB port, and instead always using a charging plug or a car 9V adapter (ie, a cigarette lighter adapter). That way you can be sure you're just getting power, without the data transfer. Do you often face a situation where you only have a USB port available?
It's often used by their phone charger. I also want it for my own car (usb c plug closer to my phone holder, 9V is in my console) and charging at airports and hotels. Carrying the charger brick in my pocket and looking for ac plugs gets old.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My solution is to not plug my phone into random USB ports. Not the solution you're looking for, but it does work well.

You probably won't be able to get a USB condom that allows fast charging though. Fast charging with standards like USB-PD requires negotiation between the host and client device that require some of the data lines to be intact.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I tend to burn out my phone battery so it isn't an option for me unless I carry a storage battery which is even bigger than a charger brick. Nothing else to do on a flight but play with the phone!

Reactions: J Dubbs