Charging port in the way

IntheStorm

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So has anyone else notice that while using the kick stand and having the phone side ways to watch a movie, the charging port gets in the way if you want to continue to keep the phone juiced. I wish they could have places it somewhere else. Maybe on the other side.

Beyond that I love this phone....so much better than the Storm V1. Even on 3g, the network flies compared to how it would load on my storm.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
They probably figured that with the great battery life who would need to charge and watch video at the same time.

/sarcasm

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, they probably intend to come out with all sorts of docks, in which case the port would probably benefit from being downfacing.

But yeah, it's annoying. I actually made a little stand out a 2x4. I made a notch where the kickstand lands and a notch where the phone rests and then drilled a hole for the power cord.

That way I can use it as my alarm clock while it charges overnight. ;)

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If they don't come with some docks and its just poor planning, I'm going to be upset.

Same with the HDMI deal. Doesn't make sense to have such a multimedia powerhouse and no HDMI.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If HTC and Verizon are really making the claim that you should just buy a dock (which I haven't heard, but it's likely), it's ridiculous. All they really had to do from the jump is flip the kickstand opening direction and modify the software to play movies/etc. in any orientation.

If you're watching a movie without the dock, flip it the direction the kickstand goes and the charger is on the top.

Want to stick it on your bedside table, flip it over so the volume button is on the top and the charger is in the dock.

Voila, problem solved. It literally is because they messed up the direction of the kickstand...and it was definitely to sell docks. Guaranteed.

You shouldn't have to carry around a dock everywhere you go just so you can plug in your phone and enjoy a movie.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If they don't come with some docks and its just poor planning, I'm going to be upset.

Same with the HDMI deal. Doesn't make sense to have such a multimedia powerhouse and no HDMI.

The rep at VZW told me the dock has not been released by HTC yet but to expect it in April. And DLNA is on the phone. While I understand HDMI is not obsolete yet, and not everybody has DLNA. Wireless streaming is where technology is headed. I personally am very happy they didn't include HDMI as it would probably be on the wrong side, again. And just take up more room. I would suggest looking into TV's with DLNA in your next purchase, whenever that may be.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, they probably intend to come out with all sorts of docks, in which case the port would probably benefit from being downfacing.

But yeah, it's annoying. I actually made a little stand out a 2x4. I made a notch where the kickstand lands and a notch where the phone rests and then drilled a hole for the power cord.

You made it out of a 2x4? I highly doubt my wife would let putting that on the nightstand fly.

Also, if you look at the hinge you will see that it goes pretty deep into the phone on the hinge side. I'm pretty sure the charger HAD to be on the other side because of how deep the hinge is.

OP - how did you miss the other 8,200 posts on this exact same thing?

Tortan

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

Pics or it didn't happen! LOL, J/K ;)
Pics would be nice though...

wallyweaver

Dec 9, 2009
www.google.com
Fix for charging and watching video at the same time

root the beast, flash CM7, one of the options is to be able to rotate the phone all the way around for viewing no matter how you hold your phone.

Done.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So has anyone else notice that while using the kick stand and having the phone side ways to watch a movie, the charging port gets in the way if you want to continue to keep the phone juiced. I wish they could have places it somewhere else. Maybe on the other side.

Beyond that I love this phone....so much better than the Storm V1. Even on 3g, the network flies compared to how it would load on my storm.

This why the phone comes with a box. Put the phone on top of the box with the cord hanging down the side. ;)

Yes, it's been mentioned a time or two. ;)

However I just watched a movie this morning unplugged with no problems and with battery power to spare.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I use the alarm clock in "portrait mode" with the charger plugged, no problem.

But I like your 2x4 idea, looks like I have my weekend project lined up for me, THANKS! :D

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ha. Well, yeah, the 2x4 was version 1. Version 2 was a piece of oak cabinet I had left over, but it didn't work quite right because it wasn't thick enough. Version 3...well, that's going to be something special! ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid