Chromebooks are awful. And here are some examples why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I have a proposal to all you Chromebook lovers.

Since you all tout the benefits of a Chromebook because they boot fast and require no maintenance and just work, and yet agree that a Chromebook will always be a secondary device, here's what I suggest you do.

Buy this. It's a 240 GB SSD for $150.
Newegg.com - Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1

Install it into your laptop and it will be quicker than your Chromebook. It's a SATA III SSD, not an eMMC flash drive like the ones in Chromebooks.

Get an antivirus so you won't get malware.

BOOM. Now you have a fully functional and speedy Windows laptop for less than the cost of a Chromebook. You can do all of the things a Chromebook can and more. Your antivirus will prevent your laptop from getting malware and slowing it down. You don't need to carry around two laptops - a Chromebook and your Windows laptop - all you need is one. No remoting into a Windows machine is required, because you're already using one.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I've got 100 bucks left for my laptop after buying that SSD. What kind of Windows machine can you get for $100 these days?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

jparker71

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I live in the cloud, 16 GB is more than enough for me. When my chromebook dies, I'll buy another one, log in, and not miss a beat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I've got 100 bucks left for my laptop after buying that SSD. What kind of Windows machine can you get for $100 these days?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

But Chromebooks will always be a secondary device, remember?

Do you think you could live with a Chromebook for EVERYTHING? If not, you're going to need another machine.

Why not just take the $200 you would spend on a Chromebook and spend it on the machine you already have and make it even better? That way you only need to carry around one laptop, not two.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I live in the cloud, 16 GB is more than enough for me. When my chromebook dies, I'll buy another one, log in, and not miss a beat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I have a media library that's about 4 TB large. Living in the cloud with 4 TB would be awful. I don't even want to think about how long, slow, and tedious it would take to stream a Blu-ray movie every time I felt like watching one.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
But Chromebooks will always be a secondary device, remember?

Do you think you could live with a Chromebook for EVERYTHING? If not, you're going to need another machine.

Why not just take the $200 you would spend on a Chromebook and spend it on the machine you already have and make it even better? That way you only need to carry around one laptop, not two.

Some people van live with a chromebook its that simple. There's no they need to spend a bunch of money on a window laptop because their lifestyle does not call for more than a chromebook. That's not a bad thing.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a media library that's about 4 TB large. Living in the cloud with 4 TB would be awful. I don't even want to think about how long, slow, and tedious it would take to stream a Blu-ray movie every time I felt like watching one.

You can't live in the cloud so the chromebook is obviously not for you.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
When I really think about it the only thing I really can't do on my Chromebook is play PC games. Basically everything important I can accomplish with a chromebook. The only reason I turn on my PC most days is just because I like having multiple monitors and a larger screen. If I didn't already have the desktop I might just buy a chromebox and use that instead.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

So don't buy a Chromebook. Crisis averted.

See how easy that was?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Some people van live with a chromebook its that simple. There's no they need to spend a bunch of money on a window laptop because their lifestyle does not call for more than a chromebook. That's not a bad thing.

Right. But some people clearly have a problem with that.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You're finally catching on. That's what I've been trying to tell everybody.

Don't buy a Chromebook.

You don't need to buy one. But people are buying them, I have seen multiple chromebooks at my college I go to a college with a population of almost or over 10,000 students in the Atlanta area. They are catching on with the general populace and can only get bigger from here on out.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to buy one. But people are buying them, I have seen multiple chromebooks at my college I go to a college with a population of almost or over 10,000 students in the Atlanta area. They are catching on with the general populace and can only get bigger from here on out.

That's a nice subjective conjecture, but how about some actual facts and data to support your claim?

Latest IDC figures show Chromebooks continue to struggle | ZDNet

Rajani Singh, Senior Research Analyst for IDC's quarterly PC Tracker, [says]:

"Chromebooks from any vendor except Samsung have not fared particularly well. Even with Samsung's products, they're primarily only having an impact on K-12 education in the US--as a replacement for aging netbooks. In Q3 '13, Samsung shipped roughly 652,000 Chromebooks Worldwide ... Among other vendors Lenovo, Acer and HP have shipped, but in tiny volume. Samsung continues to hold the number one position..."

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I have a proposal to all you Chromebook lovers.

Since you all tout the benefits of a Chromebook because they boot fast and require no maintenance and just work, and yet agree that a Chromebook will always be a secondary device, here's what I suggest you do.

Buy this. It's a 240 GB SSD for $150.
Newegg.com - Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1

Install it into your laptop and it will be quicker than your Chromebook. It's a SATA III SSD, not an eMMC flash drive like the ones in Chromebooks.

Get an antivirus so you won't get malware.

BOOM. Now you have a fully functional and speedy Windows laptop for less than the cost of a Chromebook. You can do all of the things a Chromebook can and more. Your antivirus will prevent your laptop from getting malware and slowing it down. You don't need to carry around two laptops - a Chromebook and your Windows laptop - all you need is one. No remoting into a Windows machine is required, because you're already using one.

Some of us WANT a secondary device. We either have large, powerful laptops or desktops. We want a small, light portable device for when we need something more than a tablet but don't need the power of our main machine. For example, I have an Asus G75VX (which j did put an SSD in). It is 2" thick and weighs 10 lbs. If all I am doing is working on text documents for the day, I don't want to lug around that behemoth. I use it for gaming, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, premier pro, and coding. If all I am doing is working on a report or essay, I take my Chromebook. If I'm just posting on class message boards, I use the Chromebook. If I am going somewhere for 2-3 days, I just take the Chromebook and remote desktop to the Asus if I need to. I would rather have two highly specialized machines that are great at what they do than one general purpose machine that is okay ate everything. That's why I have a Chromebook.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Some of us WANT a secondary device. We either have large, powerful laptops or desktops. We want a small, light portable device for when we need something more than a tablet but don't need the power of our main machine. For example, I have an Asus G75VX (which j did put an SSD in). It is 2" thick and weighs 10 lbs. If all I am doing is working on text documents for the day, I don't want to lug around that behemoth. I use it for gaming, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, premier pro, and coding. If all I am doing is working on a report or essay, I take my Chromebook. If I'm just posting on class message boards, I use the Chromebook. If I am going somewhere for 2-3 days, I just take the Chromebook and remote desktop to the Asus if I need to. I would rather have two highly specialized machines that are great at what they do than one general purpose machine that is okay ate everything. That's why I have a Chromebook.

Have you considered purchasing an ultrabook? It would do everything you want and it would do it well.

I find it funny that you would rather have two devices - both of which are just okay at what they do - instead of just one device that's superior than both. But it comes down to personal preference, really.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's a nice subjective conjecture, but how about some actual facts and data to support your claim?

Latest IDC figures show Chromebooks continue to struggle | ZDNet

Rajani Singh, Senior Research Analyst for IDC's quarterly PC Tracker, [says]:

"Chromebooks from any vendor except Samsung have not fared particularly well. Even with Samsung's products, they're primarily only having an impact on K-12 education in the US--as a replacement for aging netbooks. In Q3 '13, Samsung shipped roughly 652,000 Chromebooks Worldwide ... Among other vendors Lenovo, Acer and HP have shipped, but in tiny volume. Samsung continues to hold the number one position..."

They can't smaller if they are already small right? I'm talking from what I've seen hence no hard facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.