Chromecast control

May 3, 2015
Visit site
So the 2 things that are missing is the ability to send a txt using svoice (a strange subtraction since I can text from contacts). And the ability to control a chromecast device. Anyone know if there is a way to control Chromecast from s3? Otherwise I'm really liking this watch and os. In many ways it is far superior to wear. I love how it handles notifications. The lingering notification always annoyed me. Can anyone recommend a good photo watchface with more than just time. Maybe complications.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So the 2 things that are missing is the ability to send a txt using svoice (a strange subtraction since I can text from contacts). And the ability to control a chromecast device. Anyone know if there is a way to control Chromecast from s3? Otherwise I'm really liking this watch and os. In many ways it is far superior to wear. I love how it handles notifications. The lingering notification always annoyed me. Can anyone recommend a good photo watchface with more than just time. Maybe complications.

That's the kind of stuff I really loved about Android Wear when I had an ASUS ZenWatch. I'm dreading not having Google Now/voice commands if I get a Samsung watch.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Chromecast play, pause, next and back work great on the music widget.. I use plex and chromecast a lot and it works flawlessly.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
11C1O55.jpg

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I hope there's more support in the near future. I'd love to see Logitech Harmony support, smartthings, etc. Id be interested to see if you could do a ifttt through the triggers app .. ie send a command to Google assistant.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I've been able to text just by voice the whole time. May be fixed by a restart?

The best app I've found for making watch faces from your own "photos", which thankfully really means any image you can get onto your phone, is called Photo Watch (free) with limited capabilities and the pay version is Photo Watch Pro. With any of them they tend to center the photo instead of letting you crop it on the watch so keep that in mind if you want to use a photo that's not currently centered where you want it to be for the watch face.

yoggee

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
@tntsniper#CB, could you advise how you setup or connect Chromecast with the GearS3? Can it work on streaming videos, or just videos you have on the phone? Thanks.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@tntsniper#CB, could you advise how you setup or connect Chromecast with the GearS3? Can it work on streaming videos, or just videos you have on the phone? Thanks.

I didn't do anything, really. All I do is cast whatever I want to watch from my phone to the Chromecast. It then shows up on the "Music" widget on my watch. It also works when I bluetooth music from my phone to my car. Same concept. Keep in mind though, I have a Nexus 6p running BETA 4.1.1. This maybe a new android feature.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I'm thinking could be done as an alternative and I'll try later on when I'm home:

I bet you could create "Trigger" events through IFTTT. i.e. IF I press Play, tell Google Assistant to Play, if I press Pause tell Google Assistant to Pause.

If you cast through your phone first, then Google Assistant already knows you're watching a video, thus, it's smart enough to know if a Pause Command is sent its way, to pause Chromecast.

The only thing that sucks is the "Triggers" app has trouble staying "online". Its a great app and I use it to control my home, but it does error out sometimes.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been able to text just by voice the whole time. May be fixed by a restart?

The best app I've found for making watch faces from your own "photos", which thankfully really means any image you can get onto your phone, is called Photo Watch (free) with limited capabilities and the pay version is Photo Watch Pro. With any of them they tend to center the photo instead of letting you crop it on the watch so keep that in mind if you want to use a photo that's not currently centered where you want it to be for the watch face.

Do you have a Samsung phone?

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I too can start, dictate, and send a text message from my Frontier LTE, in standalone mode- not connected to a smartphone at all. Unless the BT version is completely different, a Samsung phone is not required.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a HTC One M9 and a Gear S3 Frontier LTE. S Voice works pretty well considering I don't use it enough to truly dial it in.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Can you send a text by voice from the watch when the phone is BT connected? That shouldn't be any different than when an LTE watch is BT connected to the phone.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Can you send a text by voice from the watch when the phone is BT connected? That shouldn't be any different than when an LTE watch is BT connected to the phone.

If I say hey gear text (contact) it says sms not available. If I go to contacts and select someone to text it works. With my Moto 360 OK google text (contact) works. It takes an extra step on s3. Not a huge deal...But annoying, since it's a pointless problem. Also, since I don't use a Samsung phone. I can't see conversations. Just notifications.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Comviq