closing apps on xoom?

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
How does one close open apps? When I have a lot of apps and tabs open I definitely experience significant lag when browsing.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
How does one close open apps? When I have a lot of apps and tabs open I definitely experience significant lag when browsing.
I experience the slowdown when multiple tabs are open, but not when multiple apps are open. There is a thread for the browser lag here: bogging down when multi tab browsing?

As far as the multiple apps, I don't have problems there. You can go to Settings > Applications > Running Services and see all apps currently running and from there force close those you desire, but I'd advise first that you monitor the apps fro the Settings to see what the table will do on its own.

There is much debate about closing apps in Android forums, but Android is designed to manage apps and close them when they no longer seem to be needed. Several apps need to have services (ex: Twitter, email, news aggregators) running in order to keep you alerted when new content arrives, but other apps will automatically be terminated by the OS after an undetermined period when the OS deems them no longer needed.

If you open several apps you can monitor them through Settings to see wht the OS is doing with them, and likely you will see as you continue to monitor that they will start to be closed the longer you monitor.

Note: There are some apps that are just poorly designed and it's tough for the OS to close on its own. This is why there is a Force Close button for the rare instances when you need it.