Cloud gallery hiding duplicate images

theprawn

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
This morning in my notification center, I have a new item I have never seen before... it has been running for hours. I haven't installed any new apps, I presume an app update changed something. The App title is "Cloud Gallery" in the status, if I click on it it pops up a notification that says "Hiding duplicate images may take a while. Do you want to wait?"

Screenshot_2014-12-12-08-22-08.jpg

Any idea what's up?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it has to do with the recent HTC Gallery app update. I updated yesterday and then started getting that notice too. I know the update info did list something about cloud browsing being a new feature, but I haven't looked into it much because I don't use the normal cloud services.

theprawn

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to do with the recent HTC Gallery app update. I updated yesterday and then started getting that notice too. I know the update info did list something about cloud browsing being a new feature, but I haven't looked into it much because I don't use the normal cloud services.

Huh... there's nothing in the settings, what is this cloud service?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your guess is as good as mine, but it's mentioned in the app description on Play now. It does connect to my Verizon cloud storage, but it did that before the update and Verizon wasn't listed as one of the compatible services. It did say it's coming soon in some regions, so maybe that's why we're not seeing any settings for cloud browsing.

theMaudDib

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been scouring the net for answers to this, but this is the closest post yet. My M7 has been updating constantly to the gallery cloud. But I get a notify every 10 minutes or so saying "Cloud Gallery - Duplicate images hidden". But every time I click it, it goes away. Opens nothing. I go to my gallery to try to turn this feature off, and I can't. But my gallery photos are constantly cycling. So instead of opening it and seeing my folders and the most recent photo, they are cycling through the whole gallery in that folder. It keeps doing that over and over. I try to open the folder and it keeps cycling through my photos in the 'highlights' section. This is incredibly annoying and I can not find any answers as to how to get it to stop.

More so, I don't care for my photos to go to a cloud that I, as of yet, can not figure out how to access or shut off. :mad: Made an account here just to hopefully get some help. Don't know if there is any for this issue yet.

NickGood

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Im having the same problem. I don't want my stuff in the Cloud and never use it. Its forever asking if I want to put stuff on the Cloud and I always answer no.

Now I cant turn this thing off. Also if I go to Google Photos and hit Settings, Settings doesnt do anything, it doesnt take me anywhere at all as though there no link attached to it.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's from the new update to Gallery, which is supposed to have enabled some kind of cloud support but hasn't fully done so. (Frankly, sort of half-assed, not unlike the way HTC rolled Zoe out initially). If you go into Settings - Apps - All - Gallery and turn off notifications it goes away.

dj9281

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Im having the same problem. I don't want my stuff in the Cloud and never use it. Its forever asking if I want to put stuff on the Cloud and I always answer no.

Now I cant turn this thing off. Also if I go to Google Photos and hit Settings, Settings doesnt do anything, it doesnt take me anywhere at all as though there no link attached to it.

Try apps/cloud/settings and click 'what to backup.' Mine was set for all photos and I deselected it. Maybe that will help.

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. First of all, I didn't ask to hide my possible duplicate pictures and even less to upload them to a shady half functioning cloud. I don't backup my pics on the Verizon cloud (there many other much better). This noitification keeps coming on and the process never ends. What I care mainly about is not the notification but this unrequested, useless background process sucking up resources. I don't even use the Gallery at all, but Google Photos. Hopefully it will go away with Lollipop.

Waiting for somebody to find more about this and how to kill it.

hytekjosh

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try apps/cloud/settings and click 'what to backup.' Mine was set for all photos and I deselected it. Maybe that will help.

Where exactly is this setting? I can't find it.. I do have the "Cloud" (which I think is Verizon's cloud app) disabled and it has been disabled since day one. So if its a setting under that app it has nothing to do with this issue.

Herjant

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
From the Play Store description:

"You can also browse your photos and videos saved in the cloud from one convenient place–the built-in Cloud Gallery. Just connect your Facebook, Google Drive, Dropbox or Flickr accounts to enjoy easy access to all your favorite memories."

So, rather than uploading your pictures to the cloud, it seems to be downloading pictures from other cloud services do you can browse them in the HTC gallery. Weird though that you can't disable it, and that it's not visible in the app yet.

misterlindsey

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The images flashing through is just their new way to show photos instead of the fading Zoe effect. Also, there are no cloud options yet. I never even saw the Accept or Decline screen that they show in the screenshots of the app in Google Play. I simply uninstalled the update and turned off auto-updating for now.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The images flashing through is just their new way to show photos instead of the fading Zoe effect.
I'm talking about it doing this on the album view, not the highlight reel thing at the top of the album's gallery like you're talking about. I'm thinking about uninstall the updates too.

hytekjosh

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried contacting HTC support to alert them? I sent an email to the address they have listed on the app in playstore directing them to this thread.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. First of all, I didn't ask to hide my possible duplicate pictures and even less to upload them to a shady half functioning cloud. I don't backup my pics on the Verizon cloud (there many other much better). This noitification keeps coming on and the process never ends. What I care mainly about is not the notification but this unrequested, useless background process sucking up resources. I don't even use the Gallery at all, but Google Photos. Hopefully it will go away with Lollipop.

Waiting for somebody to find more about this and how to kill it.

I have been facing this annoying problem and I cannot really seem to figure it out or fix it. I am not sure if it's actually uploading my pictures to the cloud (which would be REALLY annoying since it's without my approval) or downloading pictures from cloud services like Facebook, Instagram, and such ALSO without my approval. The Gallery app itself isn't much help so I'm not sure what to do at this point. And as for your last statement, I am actually using Lollipop GPE with HTC Gallery and it has the exact same problem.

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here (on sprint). I don't think its eating a bunch of my battery in the background. The notification is only there in the morning and never shows back up again during the day. I never gave permission or setup a cloud for gallery to backup to. My guess is there's a job that runs overnight that checks for duplicate images ( which I know I have ) and this is the default message I get.... Slight annoyance...

poko2121

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and it's really bugging me. Every time I plug my phone into the charger I have to also cancel the Cloud Backup feature. I never even enabled this thing. Anyway to stop it?

Bassbiker

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
This had to be the most pointless irritating dysfunctional "feature" I've seen. Someone in the app department at HTC must of been bored.