Coming from a Nexus 5 - Will I like the Moto G?

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I liked my Nexus 5 overall - but it's been temperamental for months, has required lots of factory resets, and finally, at 18 months old, has become a brick. (Husband has had to replace his twice - but while still under warranty.) I'm leery of another Nexus, and besides, I don't want to spend that much money on a device if it's only going to last a year and a half.

I use my phone for calls, email and texts, GPS and maps, listening to audiobooks/music, and taking pictures. I'm a Mom, so the camera is fairly important.

Is the Moto G close to equivalent to the (2013) Nexus 5 in those areas? Any big downgrades from the N5? Does the Google backup work the same as on the N5? (Not sure if that's a feature of using Google apps, or a feature of the Nexus 5 itself.) How about reliability and customer service? Are there other phones I should be considering? Anything else I should know, coming from a Nexus 5?

Thank you!

Morgan

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Even though the Moto G has low tier chip than the nexus 5, the Moto G 16/2 performs same or better than the nexus. It has a better camera and the battery is fantastic. When I had the nexus 5, I had to keep a charger with me all the time. The only thing missing on the Moto G is the notification light. But things that you will be upgrading from the nexus 5 to Moto G will be battery and camera. Screen is very good even tho it is only 720p. Not a deal breaker as things still look sharp enough. Make sure you get the 16 storage with 2gb of ram Moto G.

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto X 2014/Moto G3/Moto G1/Lenovo Tab S8/ Lenovo Yoga 11 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

jstrat73

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I just made the switch from my Nexus 5 to a 16/2 Moto G a couple of days ago and wish I had done it sooner. I was torn between a Nexus 5X and the Moto, but battery life was my primary concern. The Moto G is easily getting me from 6 am to 11 pm with out needing to recharge. Pictures look great. The Moto display and actions features are well done. I compared the screens side by side and could not see a difference between the 720 and 1080 screens. I couldn't be happier with the decision to go with the Moto G!

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both! Yes, I forgot to mention the terrible battery on the Nexus 5! The last few months I was lucky to make it until noon without a recharge, with light usage. Definitely looking forward to better battery life!!

Thanks again!

Netherdrake

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Don't expect a good camera. Moto G camera is really bad. I hate mine. Btw i got moto g1, maybe thats not the case with g3.

Posted via the Android Central App

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't expect a good camera. Moto G camera is really bad. I hate mine. Btw i got moto g1, maybe thats not the case with g3.

Posted via the Android Central App

We are talking about Moto G3 which is day and night compared to Moto G1. Camera, battery life, and shake gestures in the Moto G3 are awesome. I even like it better than my Moto X2.

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto X 2014/Moto G3/Moto G1/Lenovo Tab S8/ Lenovo Yoga 11 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplacey