Confused about ETF. Is it $175 or $350?(can't call and ask Verizon for fear of losing unlimited data

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I have 2 lines on my account.

Line 1 is unlimited data and just became upgrade eligible

Line 2 is basic phone on contract.(contract was the result of purchasing a flip phone, which should be $175 ETF)

I used VerizonWireless.com to transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and ordered a smartphone. This resulted in putting Line 1 back on contract for another 2 years, which, hopefully, will prevent the UDP plan from increasing from $29.99 to $49.99.

As soon as the new smartphone arrived, I opened the box and destroyed the SIM card by cutting it into several pieces. The phone was never powered on. In addition, I will never use this smartphone on any of my lines, in order to avoid having to pay $30/month for data for 24 months.

I am a bit confused as to what will happen if I cancel Line 2 right now. Will that incur a $175 or $350 ETF? I can't ask Verizon because I don't want to involve a live Verizon rep when it has anything related to unlimited data plan.

Any ideas?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
on Line 2? (which originally upgraded to a flip phone... line is data blocked)

so by transferring the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2, both lines now each have $350 ETF?
If you upgraded to a smart phone on line 2 the data block was lifted. Data is part of the contract now. Smartphones have a $350 ETF. I'm assuming you transferred your upgrade from line 1 to line 2 so you can keep your unlimited data, I am also assuming you upgraded to a smartphone on line 2 which would have lifted the data block and its $350 ETF. If you upgraded to a feature phone then it's $175.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
If you upgraded to a smart phone on line 2 the data block was lifted. Data is part of the contract now. Smartphones have a $350 ETF. I'm assuming you transferred your upgrade from line 1 to line 2 so you can keep your unlimited data, I am also assuming you upgraded to a smartphone on line 2 which would have lifted the data block and its $350 ETF. If you upgraded to a feature phone then it's $175.

Yes, I transferred the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and purchased a smartphone from verizonwireless.com. However, the SIM card was immediately destroyed upon delivery, before the phone was ever turned on. The phone is now being used with a prepaid T-Mobile SIM card. The same old basic flip phone is still on Line 2 and data block is still in place on my account. I'm still only being billed the basic line access fee for line 2. I guess I can just call Verizon and ask, but then again, speaking to a live Verizon rep is the last thing people want to do when it even remotely relates to grandfathered unlimited data plans.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I transferred the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and purchased a smartphone from verizonwireless.com. However, the SIM card was immediately destroyed upon delivery, before the phone was ever turned on. The phone is now being used with a prepaid T-Mobile SIM card. The same old basic flip phone is still on Line 2 and data block is still in place on my account. I'm still only being billed the basic line access fee for line 2. I guess I can just call Verizon and ask, but then again, speaking to a live Verizon rep is the last thing people want to do when it even remotely relates to grandfathered unlimited data plans.
Sounds to me I would leave it alone then. You might have slipped thru the cracks.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
ok... proof that Verizon is screwed up. I spoke with three different Verizon reps on three different days. (including one supervisor) None them can tell me if the ETF on that line is $175 or $350.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
ok... proof that Verizon is screwed up. I spoke with three different Verizon reps on three different days. (including one supervisor) None them can tell me if the ETF on that line is $175 or $350.

Just see how long it has been in contract and go off this...

your early termination fee will be $350, which will decline by $10 per month upon completion of months 7–17, by $20 per month upon completion of months 18–22, and by $60 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of your contract term.

Source: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...al/notices/customer-agreement/&token=onzdopKb

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! :) but I was not trying to determine the prorated ETF.
As I stated in post #1, Verizon couldn't tell me if Line 2's ETF
should be $175(basic device) or $350(smartphone).

That is also in the source ;).

For other contract terms entered into on or after November 14, 2014, your early termination fee will be $175, which will decline by $5 per month upon completion of months 7–17, $10 per month upon completion of months 18–22, $30 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of your contract term.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
That is also in the source ;).

actually... Verizon now tells me that Line 2's ETF is also $350.

their reason: Line 2 was originally on contract and the ETF was $175. However, when I transferred Line 1's upgrade to Line 2, both Line 1 and Line 2 contracts became $350. (even if line 2 was and still only has a flip phone on it)

that makes no sense to me...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

their reason: Line 2 was originally on contract and the ETF was $175. However, when I transferred Line 1's upgrade to Line 2, both Line 1 and Line 2 contracts became $350. (even if line 2 was and still only has a flip phone on it)

The reps don't know squat. Call three times and you will get three answers

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

You bought a smartphone so the ETF is $350. Regardless of if you went back to a flip phone, you still bought the smartphone so therefore $350 ETF.