Confused about the Atrix

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been following the Atrix forums for a couple of months since I'm due for a phone upgrade in three weeks. I was all set to get the Atrix until the Infuse came out and then I started following it as well. I've been concerned about some of the problems with the Atrix that keep coming up: overheating, forced closures, unexpected reboots (even in the middle of calls), battery life, and so on. Initial reviews for the Atrix were glowing and the Atrix forums are full of comments like: It's the best phone I've ever had. On the Infuse forums I see a lot of posts from ex-Atrix owners trashing the phone. Some of these are the same ones for whom, I suspect, it was the best phone ever. I like the Infuse but I don't think I can live with the size. The Atrix size seems to be the sweet spot for me. I don't do games, watch movies, text,or social network. My phone is used for calling, email, a lot of browsing, and reading documents and articles. The first two are great on my BB and the last two are lousy. I had hoped the Atrix would be the best of all worlds for me. Anyway, am I missing something about the Atrix or am I just getting nervous from the postings of a few disgruntled forum users? I have to live with the phone for the next two years. Thankfully, there is the 30-day return period.

Conor18

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Atrix for about... 3 months? Ya lets go with that.. Anyways, its the best phone I've had. Past phones BB curve? iphone 2g, iphone 4, htc aria, some flip-phone. Browsing is great, not sure how much the dual core improves this but i think it makes flash content run awesome. I have also heard lots of problems with peoples calling experience. Mine, amazing. Nothing to complain about. Email is also fine. I didn't expect anything else from Gmail and the other email app works fine too. If it doesn't suit you there is plenty of apps in the market. If you don't like the screen size of the Infuse, don't get it. Its the screen. You are going to be looking at it all day. But, from the sounds of it the Infuse would work just fine if all your going to be doing is calling, email, browsing, and stuff with documents. Which ever phone you pick, you still have that 30 day return window. Can't go wrong with the Atrix though! ;) i think this is the longest post I've ever done :O hope it helps! Ask more questions if you need to.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I confess to being one who has complained about the Atrix, as I own one with defects. But, far and away, not every Atrix is afflicted with one or more defects.

As I've posted before, if you get an Atrix without defects, it is a superb device. All you have to do is buy one, use the heck out of it during your trial period, and you will almost surely discover if there are any defects in your Atrix. If, by chance, yours is defective, then simply exchange it.

As you can see by a great many posts, folks with good Atrixes really love them. I'm certain that some of those will post, shortly!;)

Myself, I could never see myself holding one of those Infuse slabs up to my face to make a phone call.:p

Reactions: Mycopsycho

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had it for about 2 weeks. Battery life well I have discovered that if I am surfing or playing around on it tend to be at 20% with in 12 hours. If I am hanging out friend busy doing other stuff and just do more normal things like I did with my 8900 at 15 hours it is at 50-60% battery left so it could easily be pushed to 24+ hours. Just I will say the screen is what sucks down battery.
Yes the phone gets warm but that does not seem to bother me that much. It is great phone.

Also remember the ex atrix owners tend to want to justify jumping ship. Some of them jump ship a lot so it is safe to say in a few months they will be trashing the Infused in favor of the Galaxy 2S or LG thrill.

I will admit if the thrill was out at the same time as the Atrix I would of gone for the LG phone in a heart beat.

ccpooch

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I came from a BB and love my Atrix. I haven't had any problems, just some getting used to, especially the touch screen keyboard. Good luck with your decision.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
first off its not every unit and if yours happens to be defective they will give you a new one.With that said I don't see why you should freak out,just test it like crazy the first few days and see how it turns out.
You can't get web-top with other devices,at least that I know of.
Also infuse runs at 1Ghz but is single core,not much different but two cores has its advantages in some aspects.Battery life for me is 16 hours with mid to heavy use,you can't beat that its pretty darn good.No muffled voices or jumpy screens so I can't complain.Apps that act stupid aren't the phone's fault its just they are poorly written.
Also rooting and removing unwanted crapware from your device can really speed it up,also make sure you don't have apps running like crazy through the day killing your phone.as for screen taking battery life you can set it to turn off in 15 second if you're that concerned.
All in all I can't say its a bad phone

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Atrix since it was first released. In fact I have purchased 2 more for my company. None of these 3 phones have had any issues with call quality. I have had many smartphones over the years and the Atrix is the best so far. Sure, you read about glitches and problems in the forums. People usually only post when they have an issue - not when things are going fine (obviously this post is an exception). Though, you have to remember that any Android phone is going to have an occasional small glitch as it's still a maturing platform.
I know for a fact that I could never go back to a single core smartphone. My previous Nexus One had problems when running Live Wallpaper. It would make a noticeable hit on performance. The Atrix can run the most demanding Live Wallpaper and still run just as smooth.
Battery life is good also. I can run 12 hours with light usage and still have 70% battery left.

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll agree with some of the sentiments posted above. I've had a pluthera of business and personal smartphones, iPhone2, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, BB 9800, BB Torch, and now have settled in with the Atrix. I made a great choice on 2 fronts, I love the hardware and the atrix device itself and obviously love the android OS.

It seems thus far I have lucked out with no real defects. Sure, the battery gets a little warm but its not to the point of frying an egg on it. Call quality for me has been great. The device is fast, I never seem to run low on memory. Gingerblur runs seemlessly with tons of apps and widgets running in the background. Since rooting/custom Rom I have noticed better battery life. I'm thoroughly happy. As you will see most people around here say, use your 30 day grace period get the phone home... use it...

Rickroller

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I've read about people with issues and despite some obvious hardware defects (which occurs with every phone) most issues are user error (knowing or unknowing).

I read a post about someone complaining that every month he has to factory reset because his phone starts bogging down..and all he really does is browse internet. I can pretty much guarantee that this person doesn't clear his cache or browser history..all of which gets stored and uses memory on the phone. Simple maintenance is required using these new "superphones"..just as you need to do maintenance on a home computer to keep it running smooth.

As for mine? I got an awesome device with great battery life. As I see more and more games/apps getting released that are specific to the Tegra 2 processor..I know I made the right decision in upgrading from the Desire Z after only a few months. And now that Tango video chat has been improved..I can actually use the FFC to videochat with the wife's i4 :)

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard of a case where the phone overheated to the point of shutting itself down. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't say it gets any hotter than my BB9700 did. I does get quite hot when playing games, but I would expect a dual core processor to get hot. There are quirks with this phone no doubt, but I have yet to hear of any phone that doesn't. Just look at what the Thunderbolt is going through right now.

I'm running GingerBlur 3.5 and I think the battery life is at least 1/3 better than with the stock ROM.

This is only my third smartphone and my first Android. I really like it. My gripes are mostly with Motorola, and not with phone itself. I recommend that you go to the store and play with both phones. Choose the one you like best. As you said, you'll have 30 days if you change your mind.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets really hot really fast at the bottom and sometimes will shut off in middle of a phone call, or while doing random things.. Not due to overheating I don't think, cause sometimes I won't even be using my phone and it'll be turning on. And sometimes my phone just freezes..

Battery life for me, sucks.. So much worse than my bb

I do like the phone very much, but knowing the battery should be amazing, but isn't really does annoy the hell out of me..

But all in all, it's a nice phone, with great apps

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I recommend that you go to the store and play with both phones. Choose the one you like best. As you said, you'll have 30 days if you change your mind.

Thanks. That's what I've been doing and, although the Infuse is a great phone, I still keep coming back to the Atrix. I just find it more comfortable to hold and it is really fast. I find it also easy to use one handed. Well, just a couple of more weeks.

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
I have had my Atrix since they were first released this year. I have unlocked, rooted, side loaded and messed with it. The only time it has ever failed me is when I have messed it up. Mine is rock solid and a great performer. I use it extensively to remote control and maintain my POS system in my bar. It has never let me down. My calls are clear and if it drops a call it has always been due to lousy reception on Telcel here in Mexico. My background is IT so I consider myself pretty anal about how tech works. This is the best phone I have ever had. It rivals my very current desktop computer. No I don't sell them. LOL

ps.. I we don't have 4G available here but my 3G works just fine.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Its pretty much a hit-or-miss experience. Smartphones are computers and like every computer in the world may have factory defects and unexpected issues so if there is a problem better exchange it quick sometimes even with a refurb. Some people say that refurbs actually work better as ther previous issues were fixed... not from my experience though lol :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Whichever phone you feel most comfortable with should be the one you go with. At the end of the day you'll be the one using it and need it to be reliable. Hopefully the bugs in the Atrix get worked out.

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That's what I've been doing and, although the Infuse is a great phone, I still keep coming back to the Atrix. I just find it more comfortable to hold and it is really fast. I find it also easy to use one handed. Well, just a couple of more weeks.

Couldnt agree more. SmartPhones (as someone said earlier, are just like computers) are being released daily. You'll constantly see floods of new posts around here about Samsung or HTC or Moto releasing a new phone. I chose mine because i felt the hardware on the Atrix (now) should last me through the 2 year agreement until its new phone time. I could've waited for the Droid X2 or the Nexus 4G or countless others, but the atrix felt most comfortable... and i didn't have to wait (I'm super impatient, and was growing tired of my iPhone 4).

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I pulled the plug today on the Atrix and, as a former BB user, I'm in a steep learning curve. But it's fun and I'm looking forward to using Android and the Atrix. Thanks for all your comments.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I pulled the plug today on the Atrix and, as a former BB user, I'm in a steep learning curve. But it's fun and I'm looking forward to using Android and the Atrix. Thanks for all your comments.
Congratulations and welcome from a former BB user, I never looked back after I started using Android, specially the Atrix.

Have fun with your new toy.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29