CPU Usage 35%?!

asianguy335

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
So thus far i've been very very disappointed in the battery life and i think i've found out why, although the real reason is still a mystery to me. every other battery breakdown i've seen posted has typically shown the CPU as being the least culpable for drain, usually hovering around 3-4%

yet on my bionic i'm getting as high as 35%, which to put it in perspective is about 5 hours and 50 minutes of usage on a total 10 1/2 hour battery life where the display has consumed a paltry 4% and wifi was nearly entirely OFF. something clearly is wrong here.

here is the full report:

10 hrs 30 min on battery

Android OS: 35% 5 hrs 49 minutes

Cell Standby: 29% 10 hours 30 minutes, Time without signal 0%

Phone Idle: 25% 8 hrs 57 minutes

Display: 4% 1 hr 10 minutes

WiFi: 3% 56min

Voice Calls: 3% 4 minutes

Speed Test: 2% 41 seconds

And there you have it. Some things to note, yes i am rooted, yes i have removed a lot of verizon bloatware, i have a few basic widgets running, namely beautiful widgets home, photos, world clock, shazam, pandora, and power control. THAT'S IT.

battery mode: performance (not that it used much)
screen brightness: auto
tactile feeback: off

so what in the name of effed-up-robot-consciousness could be hogging so much cpu power?? for crissake, 5 hours??

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Android os isn't CPU usage, it's literally the os. It doesn't mean anything really, and doesn't have much to do with your battery life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

asianguy335

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: CPU Usage 35%?!?

Android os isn't CPU usage, it's literally the os. It doesn't mean anything really, and doesn't have much to do with your battery life.

are you really trying to tell me that running the operating system doesn't largely depend on the cpu? because im pretty certain that even vanilla gingerbread would have a difficult time running on zerOMAP gigahertz no core processor, nevermind motobloat...

either way it seems to make more sense that on everyone else's OS usage is virtually nil when standby is a big % of total consumption.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that the display uses less power, therefore percentage wise, screen consumption seems to be very low.
That's a good thing.
The screen on my current Android device eats up battery like crazy.
The display percentage will be like 70-80%, while everything else is lower.
So if i keep my phone in standby, it does OK. As soon as I start to use it, the display will quickly kill the battery.
The screen on the Bionic doesn't seem to eat up battery while in use. That's something I wish my phone could do.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Android OS at 35 percent is not normal. It should be in the single digits.

Something is not right.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Taz

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

I have the Bionic, I'm not sure if you have to be rooted to get the exact figures you got but the majority of my battery drain goes to:

Cell stand by: 29%
Phone Idle: 28%
Bluetooth 23%
Voice calls 16%
Display 3%

debonu

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that is not right at all... Mine is at 2% and I've been on this thing constantly since I picked it up on Thursday. Something is chewing up way too many resources on your DB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
are you really trying to tell me that running the operating system doesn't largely depend on the cpu? because im pretty certain that even vanilla gingerbread would have a difficult time running on zerOMAP gigahertz no core processor, nevermind motobloat...

either way it seems to make more sense that on everyone else's OS usage is virtually nil when standby is a big % of total consumption.

You're trying to correlate the OS in a battery life monitor with CPU usage. You can't do that. In order to actually find out how long it was using the CPU, you have to tap on the android os percentage.

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

is the battery usage moniter instant or based on XX period of time?

i was under the impression that it was instant....so if something was using 53% battery, it was using it at that very moment. the rep told me it was actually based over a time period

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
is the battery usage moniter instant or based on XX period of time?

i was under the impression that it was instant....so if something was using 53% battery, it was using it at that very moment. the rep told me it was actually based over a time period

It's usage since unplugged.

asianguy335

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

i'm on my second bionic. same problem with the android OS usage @ 36% of battery drain.
for what it's worth, it only seems to amass when i'm not using the phone.

anyone able to figure out what the issue is? anyone else even having this issue? task manager doesn't show any apps misbehaving.
i have not rooted this second phone or removed any of the stock apps. battery profile is on maximum battery profile, screen (4%) set to automatic.

downloaded apps include:

beautiful widgets with active homescreen widget
world clock with active homescreen widget
pandora with active homescreen widget
shazam with active homescreen widget
power control widget enabled
gallery widget with facebook sync
power amp
yahoo fantasy football
netflix
vignette
google sky map
google voice + voice choice
google translate
angry birds
drag racing
speed test
skype (not signed in)
pic say
usaa
words free
yelp
texas poker

anyone have any idea what is causing the android OS to suck down such a large portion of the battery? do i need to replace this one too? i don't seem to have problems with 4g signal interruption. i shouldn't have a 10 hour battery life when the phone is essentially on standby for 10 3/4 hours but yet again i do.

any chance that motorola tech support would be able to help?