Current Barometer on Android Pay?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Android Pay has been around for quite some time and it seems like it's stalling a bit.

Does anyone know why there is such a slow adoption rate in terms of financial institutions getting on board?

Does Google reach out to financial institutions to let them know it's available and to highlight the benefits? Is it up to the financial institution's IT to say, let's enable this?

I'm trying to use this technology and method of payment but my local bank only supports apple pay. What are your thoughts on Android Pay?

At the very least it would be nice to see a major update that allows for the manual entry of barcodes and making them have custom locations. When I go to my gym, I'd like to see the barcode pop up waiting to be scanned.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I tweeted my bank just a few weeks ago, telling them that, "If you don't support AndroidPay soon you are going to lose most of my debit card business. Just sayin..." I should say that I do a significant amount of monthly debit card transactions on which, if I understand correctly, the bank earns about 0.80% of the sale amount plus an additional $0.21 per transaction.

So, in fact, they already have lost most of my debit card business as I linked my Discover card (with 1% to 5% cash back on most all purchases) to Android Pay and recently began using it everywhere that contactless payments are accepted. I pay it in full each month, so I have set aside my concerns about paying interest on my grocery store purchases - which is the main reason I have refused to use a credit card for such purchases in the past.

My bank has supported ApplePay for at least a couple of years. They did reply to my tweet, telling me that my comments have been forwarded to the powers that be; I tweeted back, "Been waiting patiently; note that [bank name] has had ApplePay for some time even though there are way more Android devices!"

It is an annoyance, to be sure. Thankfully, AndroidPay *does* work with both my Discover card and my Bank of America Visa card.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Cool!

But, my bank is one of the largest in Connecticut and still not in the list. :(

Of course, some would say that Connecticut is a tiny state, not worthy of attention, but the flip side of that is that Connecticut is one of the wealthiest states in the nation and there are bazillions of dollars floating around in our banks. :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
All the cards I have are supported. I use it every chance I get. Some functions of the app are a bit buggy (long-press the icon and select the card from the pop-up but it loads a different card when the app opens) but overall it works. I've had some authentication issues recently (unlock the phone, tap to pay, get a failure then get prompted to authenticate on the phone again, then it works) but I haven't tried it since updating the app yesterday.

Worked fine today, after updating the app...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174