Custom Ringtones for the Razr

ramireh3

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to get my custom ringtones available for my contacts? Everytime I hit the ringtone option it only shows the preloaded sounds but none of the ones available on my SD Card. I hit the menu button but it won't do anything. I'm coming from the DINC1 and am still trying to learn Moto's version of Android. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This is how I do it.. I use handcent app for my messaging., so any time you want to change a ring tone or sound on the phone it gives you the option of choosing by the handcent app (versus choosing Android system). You choose handcent then you choose system then wherever your music file is. But how do you get to change one contact's tone? Easy. Go to contacts then find the person. Hit menu then view contact. Hit menu again and choose options. Right there is the custom ringtone changer. Lots of steps for something simple huh? Gone are the days you could go into the file manager, find the file on the sd card then hit menu set as contact ringtone.., but hope this helps.

ramireh3

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for answering back. My problem is that my ringtones don't show up when I do that. Only the Moto ringtones. Does anyone know how to change the default on what is being pulled up? I accidently didn't hit Astro and pressed the search engine that comes with the phone and now I can;t get back to the stage where they offer me the option of which app to use to search.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
On my wife's Bionic, custom ringtones had to be set through the stock music app., Try opening the music app and playing the custom ringtone from there and then save it as a ringtone. After doing that with each of the ones I put on her SD card, they worked just fine.

Hopefully the same on the Razr.

Reactions: MrVeda

LinuxAddict

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
While all those methods work, if you have the ringtones on the sdcard, when plugging it into a computer you lose your custom settings and have to reset them, which is annoying. You can make them permanent but it requires a rooted phone. Get root explorer and make sure you tap mount as r/w(read/write) at the top, in the root directory (/). Move all your ringtones to /system/media/audio/ringtones or alerts to /system/media/audio/alerts then restart your phone and they will now appear with the default ringtones and you wont lose the settings when mounting to a computer.

Kari Brumbaugh

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

This is how I do it.. I use handcent app for my messaging., so any time you want to change a ring tone or sound on the phone it gives you the option of choosing by the handcent app (versus choosing Android system). You choose handcent then you choose system then wherever your music file is. But how do you get to change one contact's tone? Easy. Go to contacts then find the person. Hit menu then view contact. Hit menu again and choose options. Right there is the custom ringtone changer. Lots of steps for something simple huh? Gone are the days you could go into the file manager, find the file on the sd card then hit menu set as contact ringtone.., but hope this helps.

my only problem is i know how to do this, but when i was going to select ringtones, when it gave me the option to use default tones or use handcent to select it, i accidentally selected the default and hit the always use this option checkbox which i wanted to do that for handcent and i do not know how to reverse it so now i cannot select handcent as an option, any solution ? ive deleted handcent and re installed and still no luck

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

my only problem is i know how to do this, but when i was going to select ringtones, when it gave me the option to use default tones or use handcent to select it, i accidentally selected the default and hit the always use this option checkbox which i wanted to do that for handcent and i do not know how to reverse it so now i cannot select handcent as an option, any solution ? ive deleted handcent and re installed and still no luck
You will need to go into settings/apps and find the system app for setting default ringtones (I confess that I don't know it off-hand) and select "clear defaults".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000