December Update is out

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, while guesturs are now supported on Nova, they are NO WHERE close to the animation and smoothness on the pixel launcher. I went back to default launcher. I enjoy Android 10 gesture navigation A LOT.
I can't handle the recent apps/app drawer two stage open thing on the Pixel launcher. It just doesn't work well for me. My brain can't handle it for some reason. Also there's the whole swipe down for notifications and double tapping to lock I just can't do without which any decent third party launcher has the ability to do.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I can't handle the recent apps/app drawer two stage open thing on the Pixel launcher. It just doesn't work well for me. My brain can't handle it for some reason. Also there's the whole swipe down for notifications and double tapping to lock I just can't do without which any decent third party launcher has the ability to do.
Swipe down anywhere to pull down notification is now supported on pixel launcher after the December patch ;).

I got use to recent app guesture. Every thing just flows nicely I think.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Swipe down anywhere to pull down notification is now supported on pixel launcher after the December patch ;).

Thanks, I forgot they were supposed to add that. Guess I'll give the Pixel launcher another shot.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but I'm on an unlocked Pixel, I shouldn't get anything custom for my carrier.

That's what you think should happen but the reality is the carrier does have control of these updates. I've not heard of any TMo or Fi users that have got the update, outside of sideloading or pulling the sim.

edv713

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
That's what you think should happen but the reality is the carrier does have control of these updates. I've not heard of any TMo or Fi users that have got the update, outside of sideloading or pulling the sim.

I just called Google and they told me that it had nothing to do with the carriers. It's all rolled out in batches and sometimes you end up being one of the last batches. I'm not sure how true this is but that's what I was told.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Capture.PNG

Well, today marks the last day of the 2 weeks.

I guess virtually all of us must have been in that last batch - and those who put in a VZ or other Sim and had it immediately update must have coincidentally been a part of a batch that was issued in the time they were inserting it.

Makes sense.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I keep checking Android Authority for new information, I would think they would have picked up on this problem and ran a story about it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The blur function requires a face to be detected in the photo I believe
My wife's pixel 2 xl has it on pretty much every picture that has a person in it. My pixel 3 xl on December patch and exact same photo app version doesn't show the blur option (still shows the pop slider). Makes no freaking sense. It must be server side enabled and has not hit my pixel 3 xl.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, I forgot they were supposed to add that. Guess I'll give the Pixel launcher another shot.
Ok tried the pixel launcher and the new gestures again. Pixel launcher is ok, but I like my customizable gestures in Nova and my custom icon pack better. Can I use it, yeah but I don't have to so I'm not going to.

As for the A10 gesture system, it's ok, I can use it, it took me a couple days to acclimate bit I still don't see the point. The buttons are faster, and the work with all apps. Some of my apps and games use similar swiping gestures so I end up doing something I don't want to often. Recent apps is slower to and honestly I don't go very far into the recent apps list, never have really so it's not a huge deal and easier to just double tap the square button for quick switching easier.

Just my opinion but I don't see the allure of the swiping. It works and o can use it but I don't see how it's better.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok tried the pixel launcher and the new gestures again. Pixel launcher is ok, but I like my customizable gestures in Nova and my custom icon pack better. Can I use it, yeah but I don't have to so I'm not going to.

As for the A10 gesture system, it's ok, I can use it, it took me a couple days to acclimate bit I still don't see the point. The buttons are faster, and the work with all apps. Some of my apps and games use similar swiping gestures so I end up doing something I don't want to often. Recent apps is slower to and honestly I don't go very far into the recent apps list, never have really so it's not a huge deal and easier to just double tap the square button for quick switching easier.

Just my opinion but I don't see the allure of the swiping. It works and o can use it but I don't see how it's better.
The nice thing about Android OS is options! Do what works for you :)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I just called Google and they told me that it had nothing to do with the carriers. It's all rolled out in batches and sometimes you end up being one of the last batches. I'm not sure how true this is but that's what I was told.

That's strange because the whole time I've owned my pixel on AT&T I've always received my monthly updates right when I was supposed to except twice, and I always received them by hitting the check for updates button... even though it would always say it just checked for updates. The whole staged rollout thing kinda sounds like a way to get impatient pixel owners off their backs.

Of course we have to remember they're changing the way updates come out with the whole feature drop thing...... not to mention big software changes on a brand new phone. It does make me wonder though if the days of clockwork like updates might be changing.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm also on Fi with a Pixel 3XL, and I have not received the update. This is the first time this has happened to me without a real explanation, and I've had the Nexus 6 (Dec 2015 - August 2016), Nexus 6p (August 2016 - August 2017), Pixel XL (from August to October of 2017), Pixel 2XL (Oct 2017 - Sept 2019), and now the 3XL (Sept 2019 - current).

I've been on Fi since February of 2018. Before then, I was on Verizon. I also have a Pixel 3a on Fi, and it received the update last week (which was also late).

Perhaps I'll wait until next month and see what happens.

solo2112

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I haven't received it yet. I'm not too worried about it though, figure I'll just be skipping right to the January update at this point lol

I haven't received it either and am contemplating of sideloading it. But since it's already late December, I might as well hold it off until January too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authority_Institute