Deploying Android App for Demo

ganilb

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I am coding a QR Code scanner and I'd like to demo the app to my Client who is in a remote location. However, I can't determine how I can do that without physically showing the app on the device? Here is what I could think of and I'd like to get your advice on how I should proceed:

1. Install the app on the device and demo the app?
  • How to side load an app in an Android device (Samsung Captivate or G1)?
  • But the Client is in a different location so I need to have him fly?

2. Is there a way to upload to Market where only a few set of users can access the app?

I am certain I am complicating this scenario because there must have been tons who would have done this before me. I ran out of ideas and hence reaching out to you for help.

Thanks in advance.

-Anil.

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Have him go into Settings>Applications and check Unknown Sources. Then, you should be able to just send him the APK file for install.

Reactions: ganilb

ganilb

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response. What you suggested is side loading, correct? If yes, my Captivate (Froyo on AT&T) didn't allow me to load an APK. Also, I don't see Unknown Sources in Applications. I do remember seeing that in G1.

ganilb

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the client is also on AT&T. But, my question is not unique in that how are apps getting to Market without being tested/demo'ed; agreed that Android apps don't need permission but folks must be demo'ing it to their Clients/VCs etc before putting it on Market.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the client is also on AT&T. But, my question is not unique in that how are apps getting to Market without being tested/demo'ed; agreed that Android apps don't need permission but folks must be demo'ing it to their Clients/VCs etc before putting it on Market.

No, they aren't. That's why there is more junk in the Android Market than good apps. And why Google had to hire developers just to write good apps for consumers.

I'm a developer as well, and embarrassed by the quality of some of the apps. I do however like being able to spend a week and give my client a prototype and have them test it on their phones. When I do an iOS app, I have to get device ID's, generate ad-hoc certs and jump through hoops just to have the client test it. I usually just do a GoTo Meeting and let them see it running on the emulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yessica8yessica