Question Difference Between ......Android 13...... and....... MIUI 14 ??

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
hi, i'm considering between 2 phones..........i know almost nothing about phones.....

the Oppo one is on Android 12 (upgradeable to 13).........while the Redmi one is on MIUI 14 - so can it still use Whatsapp ??

so, what's the difference between the 2 ??..........would i be better off with the ''safer'' Oppo ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, MIUI 14 is Xiaomi's Android UI that is based on Android 13. It's akin to Samsung's One UI, which is their Android UI, although Xiaomi's numbering scheme is more confusing. I wonder if it's on purpose -- perhaps to make the user think (at least unconsciously) that they always have the most current Android version on their phone. So when Android 14 gets released later this year and Xiaomi's still on 13, users and prospective buyers will think they're on Android 14 because of MIUI 14.😵‍💫

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep, MIUI 14 is Xiaomi's Android UI that is based on Android 13. It's akin to Samsung's One UI, which is their Android UI, although Xiaomi's numbering scheme is more confusing. I wonder if it's on purpose -- perhaps to make the user think (at least unconsciously) that they always have the most current Android version on their phone. So when Android 14 gets released later this year and Xiaomi's still on 13, users and prospective buyers will think they're on Android 14 because of MIUI 14.
Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
What's..... with..... all..... the..... full..... stops.....?

MIUI is the name for Xiaomi/Redmi's skin for Android. I think MIUI is based on Android 13.

Yep, MIUI 14 is Xiaomi's Android UI that is based on Android 13. It's akin to Samsung's One UI, which is their Android UI, although Xiaomi's numbering scheme is more confusing. I wonder if it's on purpose -- perhaps to make the user think (at least unconsciously) that they always have the most current Android version on their phone. So when Android 14 gets released later this year and Xiaomi's still on 13, users and prospective buyers will think they're on Android 14 because of MIUI 14.😵‍💫

many thanks for the replies............i think i'll go for the Oppo........i think it'll be more reliable and durable and easier for me to use despite being more expensive with lower specs......

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
You don't say which phones they are, but sone 2020 Xiaomi models can be on MIUI 14 but received their last OS update with Android 12.
I have a Poco F2 Pro (high spec) which has MIUI 14, is currently on Android 12 but is due to receive Android 13.

I also have a Mi 10 Lite 5G (medium spec and released similar time) which also received MIUI 14 but will not get Android 13.

I have no problem with that, and the Poco is my main phone and has been terrific for almost 3 years Security patches still arrive on the Poco, are some months behind and probably stopped on the Mi 10 Lite.

Xiaomi have improved and extended their updates policy in the last year.

Redmi models have in the past been the least supported, and some low end models have adverts you cannot fully turn off, afaik.

I would still recommend all Xiaomi, Mi, Poco and Redmi phones.

Oppo I also like but have no experience of their software.

You should be able to check or be advised how long any phone will get updates.

Regarding WhatsApp I can't see an issue no matter how old the Android version or security updates.

I'm a virgin WhatsApp user of just a few weeks on my Android 12 / MIUI 14 Poco.

I do have Contacts / Privacy questions about WhatsApp I can't resolve so I may post a thread on Android Central.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
You don't say which phones they are, but sone 2020 Xiaomi models can be on MIUI 14 but received their last OS update with Android 12.
I have a Poco F2 Pro (high spec) which has MIUI 14, is currently on Android 12 but is due to receive Android 13.

I also have a Mi 10 Lite 5G (medium spec and released similar time) which also received MIUI 14 but will not get Android 13.

I have no problem with that, and the Poco is my main phone and has been terrific for almost 3 years Security patches still arrive on the Poco, are some months behind and probably stopped on the Mi 10 Lite.

Xiaomi have improved and extended their updates policy in the last year.

Redmi models have in the past been the least supported, and some low end models have adverts you cannot fully turn off, afaik.

I would still recommend all Xiaomi, Mi, Poco and Redmi phones.

Oppo I also like but have no experience of their software.

You should be able to check or be advised how long any phone will get updates.

Regarding WhatsApp I can't see an issue no matter how old the Android version or security updates.

I'm a virgin WhatsApp user of just a few weeks on my Android 12 / MIUI 14 Poco.

I do have Contacts / Privacy questions about WhatsApp I can't resolve so I may post a thread on Android Central.

sorry about not talking about the phone models.............didn't think it would be important........

it's the Redmi Note 12 (4G) and the Oppo A77s (4G)............the Redmi has a better screen and CPU at a lower price..........but the Oppo has 2GB more RAM + 1 more year warranty............i'm not into performance and more focused on reliability, user-friendly and durability

Redmi's OS seems more complicated with people talking about the frequent updates creating more bugs.............the adverts........and use up more RAM.......and while the AMOLED panel is much better than the Oppo's - seems that AMOLED is prone to burn-in and colours fading........

Reactions: Madd62

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Screen burn in is not a thing on phones in my experience, though a few say they have experienced it. I had a Samsung Note 3 for 2 years, a Moto and my two Xiaomi amoleds now for 3 years.

I'm fairly sure Xiaomi give a 2 year warranty on Redmi here in the UK, but I can't find proof right this moment.

I take it you are in a different world region. Do you have a local Mi. com or Xiaomi. com site or Mi Store app. They do fair to very good daily and weekly discounts.

The A77s is not sold here. It's probably good enough. It has a 720p LCD / IPS screen which is fine, but the 1080p Amoled with eye care features seems a lot better, plus the newer SD685 chipset etc

I can only soeak from experience, what I've learned and what I read but I think the MIUI experience is very good and at least equal to Samsung"s user interface. I never signed in to their own Mi Browser and only recently used their Mi Cloud storage allowance.

There are short tutorials and videos on where to turn off Ad Preferences in various areas (maybe 4 or 5). I uninstalled unwanted pre installed apps like LinkedIn, Facebook etc and my system storage is very low.
I think that's the same with most Redmi models.

So I'm selling the Redmi big time!! it looks like.

Update bugs have not been apparent with mine, and I personally wouldn't consider it a concern if I was buying a new Redmi.

The Redmi Note 12 4g is currently only selling a 4gb ram / 128 gb storage version from their store currently.
If you can get a 6gb version all the better, but 4gb wouldn't trouble me for my uses. Does the A77s have 6 or 8gb of ram.

Check out the Spec sheets of both if you haven't done (GSMArena or Phone Arena)

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Screen burn in is not a thing on phones in my experience, though a few say they have experienced it. I had a Samsung Note 3 for 2 years, a Moto and my two Xiaomi amoleds now for 3 years.

I'm fairly sure Xiaomi give a 2 year warranty on Redmi here in the UK, but I can't find proof right this moment.

I take it you are in a different world region. Do you have a local Mi. com or Xiaomi. com site or Mi Store app. They do fair to very good daily and weekly discounts.

The A77s is not sold here. It's probably good enough. It has a 720p LCD / IPS screen which is fine, but the 1080p Amoled with eye care features seems a lot better, plus the newer SD685 chipset etc

I can only soeak from experience, what I've learned and what I read but I think the MIUI experience is very good and at least equal to Samsung"s user interface. I never signed in to their own Mi Browser and only recently used their Mi Cloud storage allowance.

There are short tutorials and videos on where to turn off Ad Preferences in various areas (maybe 4 or 5). I uninstalled unwanted pre installed apps like LinkedIn, Facebook etc and my system storage is very low.
I think that's the same with most Redmi models.

So I'm selling the Redmi big time!! it looks like.

Update bugs have not been apparent with mine, and I personally wouldn't consider it a concern if I was buying a new Redmi.

The Redmi Note 12 4g is currently only selling a 4gb ram / 128 gb storage version from their store currently.
If you can get a 6gb version all the better, but 4gb wouldn't trouble me for my uses. Does the A77s have 6 or 8gb of ram.

Check out the Spec sheets of both if you haven't done (GSMArena or Phone Arena)

hi, many thanks for your reply............i'm from Singapore and the Redmi phones here has only 1 year warranty whereas Oppo has 2 years..........

the screen isn't that big a deal for me as i don't play games and hardly ever go online with a phone.........i hardly uses the camera too........the thing is i'm used to the AMOLED screen from my ancient Samsung Galaxy S5.......

the Redmi Note 12 (4G) has 6GB + 128GB while the Oppo A77s has 8GB + 128GB..........

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I picked up a few pointers during the day, most of which I'll forget right now!

The Redmi should ship with Android 13 out of the box, so you should get at least Android 14 and 15,and probably 3 years of security patches which tend to slow down to every 3 months. Oddly the Note 12 5G ships with Android 12,not 13.

The battery scored very high endurance on GSM Arena .

MIUI 14 is the latest User Interface for all Xiaomi models, even though some models remain on Android 12, while others are posted as due to receive Android 13 long after updating the UI to MIUI 14 and miss out on a few new features until then.

Color OS13 is Oppo"s equivalent but you might get 12.1 out of the box. Both UI will update to the latest version at some point and receive minor or major tweaks and feature updates along the way.

Reactions: Findcount

Findcount

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi. I picked up a few pointers during the day, most of which I'll forget right now!

The Redmi should ship with Android 13 out of the box, so you should get at least Android 14 and 15,and probably 3 years of security patches which tend to slow down to every 3 months. Oddly the Note 12 5G ships with Android 12,not 13.

The battery scored very high endurance on GSM Arena .

MIUI 14 is the latest User Interface for all Xiaomi models, even though some models remain on Android 12, while others are posted as due to receive Android 13 long after updating the UI to MIUI 14 and miss out on a few new features until then.

Color OS13 is Oppo"s equivalent but you might get 12.1 out of the box. Both UI will update to the latest version at some point and receive minor or major tweaks and feature updates along the way.

many thanks for all the info.............i've asked some users that owned Redmi and Oppo before and they say Oppo is more reliable and durable so i'll go for Oppo.............Redmi has better specs at better prices though.........

Reactions: Madd62