Difficulty accessing Wifi on airplanes

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange that the phone's browser thinks that domain doesn't even exist -- that kind of screen would only show up if it actually looked up the domain and found that it was no longer owned by anyone.

Are you including the "www" when you enter "aerlingus-wifi.com"? It shouldn't make a difference, but I think there have been times when it has mattered for me.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Strange that the phone's browser thinks that domain doesn't even exist -- that kind of screen would only show up if it actually looked up the domain and found that it was no longer owned by anyone.

Are you including the "www" when you enter "aerlingus-wifi.com"? It shouldn't make a difference, but I think there have been times when it has mattered for me.
Which is why I suggested that the phone may have been going out to the wider internet to find the page, where the page doesn't exist. I just tried to go to aerlingus-wifi.com from my phone while sitting in my house, and I got the exact same page as shown in his first screenshot, the one with the blue boxes on a white background.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which is why I suggested that the phone may have been going out to the wider internet to find the page, where the page doesn't exist. I just tried to go to aerlingus-wifi.com from my phone while sitting in my house, and I got the exact same page as shown in his first screenshot, the one with the blue boxes on a white background.
That's interesting -- I didn't realize a domain could be specified for only a local intranet, and not the wider web.:unsure:

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Also check your DNS and it's not affected by any ad blocker or VPN. Your device goes to the DNS to resolve your domain names and if it's not found or the DNS is not working, you will get these errors.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also check your DNS and it's not affected by any ad blocker or VPN. Your device goes to the DNS to resolve your domain names and if it's not found or the DNS is not working, you will get these errors.
Ah yes, excellent point! Go to Chrome's settings, then Privacy and Security>Use Secure DNS, and make sure it's set to "Use your current service provider." In addition, go to the main system settings, then Network & Internet>Private DNS, and make sure that's set to Automatic.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My experience on my recent flight on AA wasn't great. I paid for the wifi to watch YouTube on my Tab S8 and YouTube was the only app that wouldn't stream without buffering literally every minute unless I switched it to 480p. Netflix and Disney plus had no buffering issues whatsoever with streaming. Just wanted to share my experience. After that experience, I didn't pay for it and downloaded shows on Netflix and Disney plus to watch on the remainder of the trip. I also don't have YouTube premium where I can download videos.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a lounge and the exact same issue. After googling (while using data), I came across a site which suggested resetting my network settings. It sucks because I'll have to repair with every wifi and Bluetooth device but it seems to have worked because now I'm connected and it's not telling me *no internet available. "

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice if Google could at least figure a way to save wifi passwords after a network reset. Re-pairing bluetooth isn't ideal, but at least there aren't passwords to remember.