Do unlocked Samsung phones get updates quicker?

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer looking to upgrade my Galaxy S6 and I have a question for the gurus out there.

I'm considering getting an unlocked S8 instead of the carrier version maknly because I've always heard unlocked phones get updates sooner. Is this still true or do the carrier versions get updates sooner now?

Are there any benefits to getting a carrier model vs unlocked?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Carrier-branded phones get updates from the carrier. Unbranded phones get updates from Samsung, and since they have to do that all over the world, instead of just one country (like Verizon does), it usually takes longer.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My unlocked S8 (SMG950F) is on July security patch.
However, I don't get any carrier bloat and am not locked to any network, so when I travel, I get a local prepaid and away I go...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The S6 was specified to update to Nougat. You may never get Oreo. (And you can't complain - even flagship phones only get 2 updates. My Note 3 is still on Lollipop and it won't be getting any further updates.)

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, I have no expectations at all of getting Oreo on my S6 lol. As you said, I've already gotten my allotment of updates for that phone.

I was only wondering how long it would take an unlocked S8 to get it vs a carrier branded S8.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen Samsung updates come faster and I've seen carrier updates come faster. It's a toss of the dice. They make a list of phones to be updated and update a few at a time (to avoid overloading the servers). Where your phone gets placed on the list, Samsung or carrier, is pretty random.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress