Do you like Nougat or Marshmallow?

Emily 1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Overall I like Nougat. I have an S7 and I think it did improve my phone. I noticed previously I needed to have background data restricted on my phone to get decent battery, and it still drained quite a bit while the phone wasn't in use. With the N update my battery barely drains when not on. I am able to get home and still have around 50% battery, even with some use of the phone throughout the day. Right now my battery is at 85% and it has been 5hr 38m since the last charge. Screen on time is only 22m though. Still my phone would be a lot more drained than 85% when it was still on MM. It'd probably be like 60% right now.

I don't really have an opinion on the new notifications bar. I don't really like it any more or less than I did on MM. One of my news apps was not working properly with the updated notifications and I ended up disabling Notifications from that app. I do like the pull down settings a little better, mainly just the way it looks. Also I prefer the lock screen with N. I had to use a Lock Screen App with MM because I hated the font it used. I removed the Lock Screen App from my phone once I received the N update. Also for the most part the phone seems smoother. The only time I noticed it lagging a lot was when the battery was getting low and I was using several heavy applications. I think when I haven't been overloading the phone with tasks, it has been running better than it was on MM.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE

It has been almost 3 days since this conversation started. It seems like the thread is still going strong, but here are the results of our informal poll as of today. These are the results from the people that have installed Nougat on their device.

22 people favor Nougat
2 people favor Marshmallow
7 people like both or don't have a preference

There were a few that were on the fence as to whether or not they should update yet. Also, there were a few that have not had the Nougat update available to them yet.

I have found everyone's comments quite interesting. I appreciate the time you have taken to express your thoughts. I will post the final results once this thread has died down.

I love this community, you guy's/girl's rock!

Last edited:

srayjacobs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The 7.0 seems faster and smoother. I didn't do any kind of test there. More options for battery and screen resolution. I like it

dew066

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
One thing I didn't see mentioned much here is the speed of the device and the increase with Nougat. When I turned animations off in developer options the device flies. I find it faster than Marshmallow.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
One thing I didn't see mentioned much here is the speed of the device and the increase with Nougat. When I turned animations off in developer options the device flies. I find it faster than Marshmallow.
I kind of like then animation on Nougat but I might give that a try. Not off but bring it down to 0.5 from 1.

Also, one more thing. My overnight standby battery is crazy good. About 3 to 4% drain in a 7 to 8 hour of sleep. My MM used to cause at least 15 to 18% battery lose overnight.

liveli46

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
NO. I don't like Nougat.

I have update my Galaxy S7 to t and it sucks!!!
1. The interface is all white. YAK!!!
2. The pull down feature is so small and ALL white. You can not- almost - distinct what is theb source of the message (Yahoo acct? Gmail? Briefing? IT IS nothing like the previous version which was great.
3. There is no way to make a call from Messages by swiping or by clicking on the Phone icon. It'll show the Phone page for a split of second and disappears. I can not make calls unless going to Phone; finding the name and clicking on the number.
4. Probably more issues will pop up in a day or so..

Suggestion:
So - Google ! why not go back to the old nice interface of Marshmallow? Or at least create a button to have an option to us to choose which interface we wish to use? the new one or the old one?
For those of us who want to use that old wonderful interface- let's the option. !!
Fix the bugs quickly - or let us go back to the previous OS until all bugs and issues are resolved.

NOUGAT is not an improvement on my Galaxy S7. It's a worse OS. And actually apps like Yahoo..and some others are SLOWER than before.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Most things that people say they don't like, including this one, can be adjusted in Settings.
That would require very little effort. Surely you don't expect that do you. What's wrong with you!

Edit: I was just trying to be funny. After going back I can see that it could have offended someone. If anyone was offended by this I apologize. That was not my intention.

Last edited:

Tachead7075

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I kind of like then animation on Nougat but I might give that a try. Not off but bring it down to 0.5 from 1.

Also, one more thing. My overnight standby battery is crazy good. About 3 to 4% drain in a 7 to 8 hour of sleep. My MM used to cause at least 15 to 18% battery lose overnight.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you turn the animations fully off the edge lighting will no longer work.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One way is to go into settings > display > screen zoom and font and increase screen zoom from medium to large.

Yes. Also, when you increase zoom, you may want to decrease font size. That will make the objects like notifications bigger without making the font size too big.