Do you think these "issues" are worth returning this phone for?

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
- The charging port is not tight and I can wiggle the cable a bit from left to right, although it still charges fine but I'm afraid it will get worse over time to the point where it won't charge anymore.
- The power button is uneven; the left side sticks up and the right is flush. Works fine, but after a bit more than a week I'm afraid it's still quite noticeable when I push it.

I only get one exchange with Rogers in Canada and then I have to deal with the manufacturer so that's why I'm worried. I think the whole batch in the store is messed up so I don't know if I'm willing to go through all the effort just to get a phone that doesn't have a loose charging port and uneven power button.

So, my question is... Should I a) try to exchange the phone, contact HTC if all the other phones are messed up, fight through this till I get a phone with no issues, b) accept my current phone for what it is and move on with my life, or c) just give up and go with the nice, safe, cheap, contract-free (and boring) Nexus 4? I wanted the HTC One for months but I'm just so disappointed with the build quality, especially after all those reviews saying how amazing it is... I don't even know why I need a phone. I guess to text and to make calls and for the occasional browsing. Both phones work perfectly for both those things, which makes this even harder. Then again, if you asked me before I bought the HTC One which phone I'd rather have, I'd choose the One over the Nexus in a heartbeat... Argh, I dunno.

I realize I'm posting in the HTC One section so you will all probably tell me to keep it, but please try to not be too biased :)

Thank you!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Having a Nexus phone is never boring. You'll get all the Android updates first and way before anyone who doesn't have a Nexus. If you want to root your phone--and you really should never say never--the developer scene for Nexus phones is unparalleled.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
What is really killing me most of all is how easy it's to get micro scratches on the metallic borders,then of course there is the tiny 4mp...

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the HTC One and to answer your first question is: IMO you should absolutely return the phone if the defects are bothering you to the point where you are thinking about them every time you look at your phone. This is my first HTC device and my only complaint is the inconsistency in the final product coming off the assembly line. Some people report gaps, small scratches and what seems to be the very common stuck/dead pixel, yet others get phones they say are perfect. The first device I received had a dead pixel that was very visible so I sent it back for a replacement. The new phone also had a stuck pixel but it was located in a spot where it was covered by something else most of the time so I kept it.

The bottom line is this is a high-end smartphone that retails for $550 when buying direct from the carriers. A company's "flagship" device at that price point should be pristine out-of-the-box but unfortunately this is one of the problems HTC has and one of the reasons they will never come close to a company like Apple in terms of sales and fit n' finish on a mass consistent basis (HTC seems to be hit or miss with their production. Some batches seem to be perfect while others have the issues we are discussing here.). With that said this phone is awesome and probably the best Android device in 2013 so I would try to get one that is "perfect" in your eyes but there has to be a limit. Sending one or two back for a replacement is OK IMO but if every phone you get has defects you have to draw the line somewhere and move on. I really do hope you get a phone w/o any issues because I'm sure you will love this device, Good Luck :)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Whether your paying $1 or $500 if what your buying is not up to your realistic expectations then u need get one that is up to your expectations. No reason you shouldn't expect and absolutely perfect device when paying a premium for it.

Posted via Android Central App

Neox3d

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
First, in terms of value and features, nothing beats the Nexus 4, same for its modding, rooting and updates.

Second, I think you should return your phone ASAP and get it replaced.

Third and this is a minor point but in defense of HTC one, all manufacturers have problems, including apple, when the iphone 5 launched, ppl were stuck with dented phones, scratched phones, unreliable wifi, overheating batteries, screen flickers, just out of the box, and not to mention that the previous year they had "antennagate" problem. Every manufacturer has problems on first batches, HTC or apple are no different

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, yes, I'd return it quick, fast, and in a hurry. Phones are not cheap and there's no reason to be unhappy right out the gate. I would at least try one other sample (or as many as you have the patience for) and if the One doesn't work out you could consider upgrading to an S4 (I just wrote that to make sure you're awake :)) or something different. Don't let one bad sample ruin your fun though.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Brewz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are to the point of asking if you should to me means it is bothering you. If that is the case yes I would return it.

Now the wiggle is it more defined in this phone compared to other devices with a micro usb connection? (However this would be a non issue to me with the other complaint that alone would warrant a return to me)

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Having a Nexus phone is never boring. You'll get all the Android updates first and way before anyone who doesn't have a Nexus. If you want to root your phone--and you really should never say never--the developer scene for Nexus phones is unparalleled.

Yea, you get the updates first including all the bugs. The Nexus phones are the guinea pig phones for Android, and they are boring.

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had the device? If it's been a while, if you go to exchange it, you may not walk away with a new device, but rather one that's been refurbished. In some cases this doesn't really matter, but I would definitely that that into account if the issues aren't too severe and things that you feel you can live with.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the nexus 4 and the HTC one. IMO the one is better. I have a stuck pixel on mine and I'll be exchanging it. If I were you, I'd do the same, or I'd return it and buy it from somewhere else.

Posted via Android Central App

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
If you are to the point of asking if you should to me means it is bothering you. If that is the case yes I would return it.

Now the wiggle is it more defined in this phone compared to other devices with a micro usb connection? (However this would be a non issue to me with the other complaint that alone would warrant a return to me)

Yeah, the wiggle is definitely more defined. I compared it to my dad's iPhone and his doesn't even budge whatsoever. I mean, my One charges fine but it's just kind of weird how wiggly it is.

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Update: turns out the wiggle is thanks to the charging cable that came with the phone. I tried out a different cable and it fits perfectly snug and doesn't move around at all. Don't know why but I'm kind of sad LOL now I'll feel silly exchanging it just because of an uneven button.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
If the button seems that it may fall apart or something then yes go change it. If it is just a bit uneven or something without importance then don't.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If the button seems that it may fall apart or something then yes go change it. If it is just a bit uneven or something without importance then don't.

Hmmm...if it's not perfect return it. You didn't pay for half-@$$ build quality. Just my opinion.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
So I went to exchange it and the phone they gave me looked great in store and had none of the problems of my first phone, but when I came home, surprise surprise, I noticed two new things: The top aluminum part at the front curves up a bit at the right edge (aka it's not cut straight), and there is a stuck pixel in the top right corner by the time. I'm probably going to keep it nevertheless since I won't be staring at the time whenever I use my phone, but it's still pretty disappointing to receive another phone with a fault. But honestly, it's not very noticeable at all unless I hold the phone three inches from my face and inspect it. Hopefully it won't bother me! I'm starting to think that I'm being too picky/ OCD about all of this and that I should just accept that not everything will be perfect.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Stuck pixel?! It's 2013, that's just not acceptable. Take it back. :( Look, I know it's not an S4 (so maybe it can't be perfect : )) but you shouldn't deal with an imperfection like a stuck pixel, IMO.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burks