Does anybody have interest in these 3a Pixels?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
They were overblown. You had a bad experience as well as did some others. You complained from day one with the 2, sold it, then bought it again. Complained some more, than bought the 3 and complained forever. The majority of Pixel 2 and 3 owners here on these forums did not have your issues and forums usually pick up a lot of negativity.
Not everyone who owns a Pixel phone (albeit aren't many as they don't seem to be selling well) don't post on android central forums.

And Google have huge QC issues with their phones that they seriously need to fix up. And that's aside from empty promises and features they advertise which end up being useless and nothing more than gimmicks. I think they're better off dripping out of the high-end race, as they simply cannot compete, and are better off offering these 'a' devices for the mid range.

The mid range is where they can get away with not making top quality products because users pay less for them, so if they're not feature packed and have issues with ram and lack useful features, it's not that big a deal because you're paying less for the device anyway. Plus they're able to put their camera on the device which is pretty much the only standout feature of the Pixel line (because performance certainly isn't), so it makes less sense for there to be 'high-end' Pixel phones.

I think the 3a and 3a XL are quite good for mid range phones and it is where Google should be in the marketplace.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone who owns a Pixel phone (albeit aren't many as they don't seem to be selling well) don't post on android central forums.

And Google have huge QC issues with their phones that they seriously need to fix up. And that's aside from empty promises and features they advertise which end up being useless and nothing more than gimmicks. I think they're better off dripping out of the high-end race, as they simply cannot compete, and are better off offering these 'a' devices for the mid range.

The mid range is where they can get away with not making top quality products because users pay less for them, so if they're not feature packed and have issues with ram and lack useful features, it's not that big a deal because you're paying less for the device anyway. Plus they're able to put their camera on the device which is pretty much the only standout feature of the Pixel line (because performance certainly isn't), so it makes less sense for there to be 'high-end' Pixel phones.

I think the 3a and 3a XL are quite good for mid range phones and it is where Google should be in the marketplace.

You're way off on where they are and where they need to be. My Pixel 3XL performs just as well as my Samsung S10 plus Ceramic. Anyway we are getting off topic.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Thing is the vast majority of people who have or had the Pixel 2 XL aren’t on these forums. I don’t doubt that the display issue was overblown (most media tech bad reviews are) but having seen the display myself as well as other online comparisons I can comfortably say that the LG OLED display was mediocre and had under-par viewing angles.

I think that the main reason it received so much hate (which was in some cases overblown) was because the Pixel 2 XL had a very high price, so consumers expected the device to be great, with minimal flaws (especially when it came to the display).

(quite rightly so) pointed to the Samsung S8+ with its vastly superior sAMOLED display (amongs other things) and were angry at Google for using an inadequately bright/colourful/vibrant panel in comparison, especially given the fact that the S8+ had expandable storage, slimmer bezels and a headphone jack as well as the price Google charged.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Alright, let's turn back to topic. No reason to live in the past with poor analysis that's really just opinions and nothing more.

IMO, the 3a is in good positioning for the Moto crowd or the iPhone Xr prospective customer that doesn't want to pay for an Xr.

I think the Moto population likes simple Android styled phones and but don't want to pay an arm/leg for a device. The Xr convert has been getting sick pf paying the Apple tax and is looking for a reasonable, i.e. cost, way out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Alright, let's turn back to topic. No reason to live in the past with poor analysis that's really just opinions and nothing more.

IMO, the 3a is in good positioning for the Moto crowd or the iPhone Xr prospective customer that doesn't want to pay for an Xr.

I think the Moto population likes simple Android styled phones and but don't want to pay an arm/leg for a device. The Xr convert has been getting sick pf paying the Apple tax and is looking for a reasonable, i.e. cost, way out.

It's definitely a great alternative to other mid to low end phones and great to see Google rekindle the Nexus line and fill the void somewhat in disguise.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
With its specs I dont see it lasting 3 years without slow downs , or other issues but could be wrong. As in iPhone world device can be supported 5 years but not always a good thing.
Absolutely agreed. The Verge already expressed that it saw a drop in Performance between it and normal Pixel 3.

I am shocked at what Google is getting away with here as all this device really has is a good camera, other than, nothing else, and even the Camera image processing is not instantaneous.

I have been saying that people will begin complaining about this device once the honeymoon period is over, right now a lot of people are caught up in the hype.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agreed. The Verge already expressed that it saw a drop in Performance between it and normal Pixel 3.

I am shocked at what Google is getting away with here as all this device really has is a good camera, other than, nothing else, and even the Camera image processing is not instantaneous.

I have been saying that people will begin complaining about this device once the honeymoon period is over, right now a lot of people are caught up in the hype.
Something to keep in mind is most people don't know about or even care about photo processing. As long as the picture looks good enough to post on Facebook, they are happy.

It's hard to draw a line on cost to performance.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's for me as I'm really happy with my 6T and did not have a great experience with the pixel 2. That said, one of my kids is due for an upgrade soon (still rocking a Moto G4 with 2GB RAM) and either 3A would be an upgrade. However, one of the things she wants is a big battery in her next phone and the G7 power was going to be the choice most likely. It's also like half the price with a similar processor so IDK which way we'll go. Have to see how the 3A holds up the next couple of months and if there are any issues.
Going from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 3 XL would be a downgrade let alone going from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 3a of any kind.

OnePlus 6T is one highly underrated beast of a device, the Camera may not be the best out there, but the rest of the phone is far better than most and the UI is consistently fast and fluid.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Something to keep in mind is most people don't know about or even care about photo processing. As long as the picture looks good enough to post on Facebook, they are happy.

It's hard to draw a line on cost to performance.
Photo Processing becomes a major factor when you have a toddler and want to capture multiple images at a go yet the phone requires time to process them each time you take it.

In actual fact I would say in my experience, Photo Processing speed can mean the difference between a good and terrible experience with a phone, as it is the one Camera you constantly have with you to capture moments you are not always ready for.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Photo Processing becomes a major factor when you have a toddler and want to capture multiple images at a go yet the phone requires time to process them each time you take it.

In actual fact I would say in my experience, Photo Processing speed can mean the difference between a good and terrible experience with a phone, as it is the one Camera you constantly have with you to capture moments you are not always ready for.
I didn't say it wasn't important. Just that most people don't know about it or how it works.

Since the process is done by the CPU, yes that is a handicap. But again, it comes back to the balance between cost and performance. Unless Google starts using cloud computing to compensate.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Going from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 3 XL would be a downgrade let alone going from a OnePlus 6T to a Pixel 3a of any kind.

OnePlus 6T is one highly underrated beast of a device, the Camera may not be the best out there, but the rest of the phone is far better than most and the UI is consistently fast and fluid.

Unless you've spent some time with all of these devices it's really hard to judge which is the better camera or device.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Of course there is a performance difference between the Pixel 3 and the 3A, the 3's processor is better. The question is, will most people really notice in day to day use? Of course phone reviewers are going to notice -- they tend to use the top end flagships on a daily basis -- either their own personal flagship phone or a phone they are testing.

On the other side, though, we are reaching the limits in current chip technology. While new processors are faster, they are not the 2 or 3x faster than previous generation chips -- which routinely occured a few years ago. Instead, they are incremental upgrades, with much of the performance increases being brought about by improved manufacturing techniques (such as going from a 10nm process down to a 7nm, or now 5 nm).

In fact, where much of the improvement is found, in newer phones, is in adding additional processors -- such as the Pixel Visual Core, with the 3A series is missing.

But my point is, as a mid-range phone the performance is about what you'd expect -- and in average daily use, most people aren't going to notice a real difference between it and a flagship. Yes, photo processing will take longer, at least for HD and Night Sight shots. Additionally, it isn't going to do AR or VR as well as flagships -- particularly as that is an area where special processors maybe added to the flagships to help improve speeds.

Of course, this is also, I believe, one of the factors why people aren't upgrading as frequently. The average user no longer needs a flagship to do the things, with their phone, that they need. We aren't seeing major improvements that the "average user" cares about. Yes, having a bezel-less screen is nice, but it is really worth a hundred or more extra dollars to get, for the average user? The average user could care less about the under screen fingerprint sensor, particularly when it doesn't work as quickly or reliably as the one on the back of the Pixel 3A -- those type of "cutting edge tech" features are the things we phone geeks get excited about.

My guess is that most people won't have an issue with the 3A over two to three years. Again, flagships aren't really getting that much faster -- and they are already almost as fast as decent laptop computers, the average user doesn't need that type of speed in a phone. Yes, they won't get quite as quick of pictures, but you kind of know that is a trade off when you buy a mid-range phone, and most won't care about the speed when they get the great pictures that the Pixel delivers.

I don't think the software updates will "slow the phones," as Google is trying to make Android work well on all phones -- including the cheap budget phones for third world markets. Yes, you might not get access to all the cool new features in Android S -- but you'll get Android S and I suspect the phone will run it fast and competently.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Of course there is a performance difference between the Pixel 3 and the 3A, the 3's processor is better. The question is, will most people really notice in day to day use? Of course phone reviewers are going to notice -- they tend to use the top end flagships on a daily basis -- either their own personal flagship phone or a phone they are testing.

On the other side, though, we are reaching the limits in current chip technology. While new processors are faster, they are not the 2 or 3x faster than previous generation chips -- which routinely occured a few years ago. Instead, they are incremental upgrades, with much of the performance increases being brought about by improved manufacturing techniques (such as going from a 10nm process down to a 7nm, or now 5 nm).

In fact, where much of the improvement is found, in newer phones, is in adding additional processors -- such as the Pixel Visual Core, with the 3A series is missing.

But my point is, as a mid-range phone the performance is about what you'd expect -- and in average daily use, most people aren't going to notice a real difference between it and a flagship. Yes, photo processing will take longer, at least for HD and Night Sight shots. Additionally, it isn't going to do AR or VR as well as flagships -- particularly as that is an area where special processors maybe added to the flagships to help improve speeds.

Of course, this is also, I believe, one of the factors why people aren't upgrading as frequently. The average user no longer needs a flagship to do the things, with their phone, that they need. We aren't seeing major improvements that the "average user" cares about. Yes, having a bezel-less screen is nice, but it is really worth a hundred or more extra dollars to get, for the average user? The average user could care less about the under screen fingerprint sensor, particularly when it doesn't work as quickly or reliably as the one on the back of the Pixel 3A -- those type of "cutting edge tech" features are the things we phone geeks get excited about.

My guess is that most people won't have an issue with the 3A over two to three years. Again, flagships aren't really getting that much faster -- and they are already almost as fast as decent laptop computers, the average user doesn't need that type of speed in a phone. Yes, they won't get quite as quick of pictures, but you kind of know that is a trade off when you buy a mid-range phone, and most won't care about the speed when they get the great pictures that the Pixel delivers.

I don't think the software updates will "slow the phones," as Google is trying to make Android work well on all phones -- including the cheap budget phones for third world markets. Yes, you might not get access to all the cool new features in Android S -- but you'll get Android S and I suspect the phone will run it fast and competently.

All great points

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Only time will tell how these manage, but I definitely have my doubts, particularly with the chip they use.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Oh I agree completely, I don't miss my pixel at all and I much prefer the performance and very useful customization options of the 6T. I also think monthly updates are overrated too. I'll take quarterly updates that are more stable.

As for the camera, the 6T can be very good in most conditions, it just takes a little practice.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
On a different note, I wonder how Google will treat the future releases of this "midrange" line. Will they be simultaenous with the release of their next flagship or will it be 6 months down the line?

I'm debating whether to hold off on the Pixel 3A to see if Google moves toward a more bezel-less design on the Pixel 4 and the A line should they continue it.

Bezels don't bother me so much but I upgrade to a new phone about every 3 years so a more modern design (by today's current standards) is something I can wait for.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
On a different note, I wonder how Google will treat the future releases of this "midrange" line. Will they be simultaenous with the release of their next flagship or will it be 6 months down the line?

I'm debating whether to hold off on the Pixel 3A to see if Google moves toward a more bezel-less design on the Pixel 4 and the A line should they continue it.

Bezels don't bother me so much but I upgrade to a new phone about every 3 years so a more modern design (by today's current standards) is something I can wait for.

I don't think we will see simultaneous releases. If we did, it wouldn't make sense to do that with the 4 because that's not far away at all. I could be wrong though.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't think we will see simultaneous releases. If we did, it wouldn't make sense to do that with the 4 because that's not far away at all. I could be wrong though.

Let's stay with that line of thought for a second ... Assuming they repeat this current set-up, October Flagship then the following May (I/O) for the "a" series, that would only leave 5 months until October again ... Not super unreasonable, but doable I'm thinking..

With the fall release and expected sales, put them in position for the holiday season, then the spring release non-flagship group. I still don't necessarily agree with the approach, but if this is what they're going with, then power to 'em I guess ..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let's stay with that line of thought for a second ... Assuming they repeat this current set-up, October Flagship then the following May (I/O) for the "a" series, that would only leave 5 months until October again ... Not super unreasonable, but doable I'm thinking..

With the fall release and expected sales, put them in position for the holiday season, then the spring release non-flagship group. I still don't necessarily agree with the approach, but if this is what they're going with, then power to 'em I guess ..

It's all speculation at this point but they could gradually move the dates to something that makes more sense but I don't see them moving them to the same release month

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards