Does anyone have any idea what this app is?

Frenzee

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about operating systems or smart phones, but hopefully I'm in the right place and someone can help me out here.

For the record I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 os4.1.2...

This morning I went into my task manager to close out all of the extra stuff I wasn't using. While I was doing that, I noticed an application under the "downloaded" tab and I don't understand what it does. It simply reads "Client", and when I go into the App info it says "Version Client v.1.4.3" and I can see that it's been granted permissions to pretty much every major part of the phone (camera control, reading & editing texts, read web history etc.). When I began messing with the permissions, I saw that it was running as "com.client.appA".

Everything else under my "Downloaded" tab are applications that I physically chose to download, but I have no idea what this is. I've googled the heck out of it with no luck.

Can anyone explain to me what this is? Like I said, I'm not tech savvy at all, so for all I know it could be completely common and harmless, or it could be something fishy. Thanks in advance for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you install any kind of VPN? Might be a client app for that.

Frenzee

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the response! The only VPN that's on my phone came already installed with my Galaxy S3. It is called "VPN Client", which had me wondering if they might be connected. What seemed odd to me though is the fact that the "Client" app I'm questioning is listed amongst my downloads. I remember downloading every other app listed except that one. I would think if the two were related, this app would have been already installed when I got the phone as well?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the Client app was preinstalled but then updated, it appears in the Downloaded list. If it was preinstalled and you tried to unininstall it, it would give you a notification that you're only uninstalling updates, and the original version would still remain. Not sure if you want to try uninstalling the app, in case it's important for your other functions. Sometimes, when you look at the app under Settings/Apps/Downloaded, instead of "Uninstall," the button will say "Uninstall All Updates." So you could look at the app details there and see what it says.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed something called "Best Apps Market"?
Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a pre-installed app, at least not on the Verizon version of the S3. Take a look through your apps list, then uninstall it, then see what's missing.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This morning I went into my task manager to close out all of the extra stuff I wasn't using.
BTW, this is unnecessary - Android can manage memory just fine without your help.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Frenzee

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
BTW, this is unnecessary - Android can manage memory just fine without your help.

Oh ok, thank you. I had always been told that if you had a bunch of applications that remained open/running in the background it would slow down the system? Is that not the case?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For the most part apps that are in the background (i.e. not the app that has focus) are in an idle state. They may be doing something like updating your weather or syncing your messages, but for the most part they're just waiting to be:
- brought to the foreground to do whatever they're supposed to do
- swapped out of memory if the OS needs it
You can use something like SystemPanelLite Task Manager: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=3eZO9L50 to get an idea of which apps and services are always running versus which ones are running right now, and you can even end tasks but it's usually unnecessary unless you have a runaway app, and if you have one of those the solution is to uninstall it.

bugmen

Banned
Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Client", and when I go into the App info it says "Version Client v.1.4.3" and I can see that it's been granted permissions to pretty much every major part of the phone (camera control, reading & editing texts, read web history etc.). When I began messing with the permissions, I saw that it was running as "com.client.appA".
This App comes from UFED Reader Cellebrite - UFED Reader
Now the big question is where and when was your phone data extracted? Those were also non pros because this app should be removed from the spying personal (there is an extra option for this in the UFED program).

Frenzee

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. You seem pretty certain that it's related to Cellebrite UFED. I'm familiar with it, and would prefer to think that it hasn't been used with my phone, but you never know. Which part of the info provided in my post lets you know it's from UFED?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny