Does Chromecast support 5ghz Wi-Fi?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Is 5GHz Wireless better than 2.4GHz ?
Wireless computer network equipment typically uses radio signals in either a 2.4 GHz range or a 5 GHz range.

The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band.

Advantages of 5GHz:
The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products. The 5GHz band can also offer much higher throughput (using the right technology) with the same channel width.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:
In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes. Recent 802.11ac devices may be able to mitigate some of this disatvantage by using beamforming.

The Bottom Line:
5GHz and 2.4GHz are simply different frequencies, each with its advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, some recent routers have the capability for dual-band operation in both ranges simultaneously. 5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration.

Note: When choosing the band for your router, it is also important to consider the capabilities of your wireless clients. Most current laptops and other mobile wireless devices work in the 2.4GHz band, while media streaming devices have increasingly better adoption in the 5GHz band. The migration to wider adoption of 5GHz will probably continue with the shift to the higher throughput 802.11ac.

Is 5GHz Wireless better than 2.4GHz ? :: SG FAQ

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It is absurd and completely ridiculous decision. The router companies advertise that to see fewer frame drops and buffer free video, use 5 GHz band and for everything else use longer approaching 2.4 GHz. This device is made for video/audio content consumption and they decided to support only 2.4 GHz.

If Gooble had picked 5 GHz over 2.4Gz it would have cost more and the vast majority of people only have 2.4GHz routers couldn't use it. I had to return my first 5GHz only router (802.11a) since it didn't work as well the 2.4GHz router that I replaced it with due to the size and building material of my home. So Chromecast would be a market failure at 5GHz only. It would have been much more expensive if the CC was dual-band. Roku has four models for sale with Roku LT $49, Roku HD $59, Roku 2 XD $79 are all 2.4GHz without 5 GHz radios. Roke 2700X just passed the FCC and will be for sale soon and it only has a 2.4GHz radio. You have to buy the Roku 3 at $99 to get Dual-Band 2.4GHz & 5 GHz. Chromecast is a great value at only $35 and it had to be 2.4GHz to work for most people.

Smart TV will make the Chromecast obsolete soon enough but I am sure Google will refresh Chromecast with Dual Band at a higher cost in a year. Bottom line if you want a 5GHz streaming device buy a Roku 3 and spend the $99. I was looking for the cheapest 2.4GHz streaming device and that is what makes the Chromecast the best choice for me.

Last edited:

Rudy Belova

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My chromecast can not see my 5ghz network. I thought for sure it was going to be an issue because I live in a large apartment building. My laptop alone sees over 40+ wifi networks in teh 2.4ghz band. Nothing works in my place in 2.4ghz. Roku, Tivo roamio, laptops, you name it.
Wierdly enough, i have absolutely NO problem with 2.4ghz. watching HD programs from the play store and everything. Quite surprised!

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
The 2.4GHz band is PLENTY fast enough for HD video and audio. The only problem is the 2.4 band gets a little congested. The 5GHz band is quicker, but it wont give you a better experience. The range on the 5GHz band isnt as good as the 2.4GHz either.

ashwinipn

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I guess not only the subnet but SSID should also be the same. I have set up one SSID for 2.4 GHz and a separate for 5 GHz. All other parameters are same. But it does not work if one attempts to cast from a device that is connected to a 5 GHz SSID. Moreover, the advertised claims about 5 GHz network being able to deliver better (lag free due to high sampling rate) video streaming experience makes the choice of CC as a video streaming device supporting only 2.4 GHz network is absurd. It only made sense to support both frequencies because of old hardware compatibility issues.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I guess not only the subnet but SSID should also be the same. I have set up one SSID for 2.4 GHz and a separate for 5 GHz. All other parameters are same. But it does not work if one attempts to cast from a device that is connected to a 5 GHz SSID. Moreover, the advertised claims about 5 GHz network being able to deliver better (lag free due to high sampling rate) video streaming experience makes the choice of CC as a video streaming device supporting only 2.4 GHz network is absurd. It only made sense to support both frequencies because of old hardware compatibility issues.

The router can have different SSID's for each band and still be able let you control the CC with other devices. That is exactly how my home network is configured, and it works fine. Make sure you don't have something like network isolation configured on your router.

The problem with the 5ghz band is range as stated above. There is a decent chance that CC would have range issues if it was using 5ghz. It would be nice if it did support it in the cases we could use it though, but unfortunately it doesn't

Michael Darragh

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
why in the world wouldn't they follow suit with every other electronics device out there and support both? who said they had to choose one vs the other?? this is google. 5Ghz support was implied for me, until i stumbled across this thread. seriously disappointed.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
why in the world wouldn't they follow suit with every other electronics device out there and support both? who said they had to choose one vs the other?? this is google. 5Ghz support was implied for me, until i stumbled across this thread. seriously disappointed.
The new version does

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe