Does the digitizer break when screen is cracked on the Nexus 7 (2013)

PadraicC

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Had mine in side pocket in protective case with screen protector, now looks like I took a hammer to it after two weeks of ownership, worst part is if I do fix the screen I am still going to get to enjoy not being able to use the tablet when it is lying flat and the screen going black and having to restart it to use it, what a piece of s**t.

Thomas Vanderick

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought a nexus 7 2013 this monday. I have used it with extreme care. Earlyer this day I put it down on my desk to upload some files on it. I pick it up and out of nowhere there is a hairline crack in the screen just the same way as you describe it with yours. Everything inside does not work. What a dissappointment

NadavEi

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
This tablet is a big disaster. broke without any reason in my drawer aside another device which is working perfect.
ASUS has realy done a terrible job producing a poor quality non-usable high end product. If they have little respect to their brand they should do a recall for the product for free.

Ivan Filipovski

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
there is no 20 days since i bought this **** of tablet and is allready broken from a small drop ,if this is corning gorila glass im batman.,also the plastic back is also chipest and the worst plastic on planet.,it is also cracked.,asus and google shame on you ., u shoud have at least cheap parts for this garbage

gijoe9120

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nesus seven that my grandma bought this year for her and she was charging it and it slid into the chare and now the screen is cracked and the digitalizer is gone.she wasnt doing any moving around and the screen just cracked
I would be willing to tell asus the tablets are bad

Jasmine Lin

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I just can not believe what I had found on the internet about this issue. I had my Nexus 7 for about 2 weeks. Today, I need my nexus 7 for a trip so I slide the nexus in my pocket. Once I got in my car, took it out of my pocket and the damn screen cracked on me. I mean WTF, 2 minutes in my pocket and this screen cracks. Used the nexus 7 for only 3 hours in total costs me $350 32 GB LTE.

I think we should file complains on BBB so they notice and they will need to fix it.

:mad:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just can not believe what I had found on the internet about this issue. I had my Nexus 7 for about 2 weeks. Today, I need my nexus 7 for a trip so I slide the nexus in my pocket. Once I got in my car, took it out of my pocket and the damn screen cracked on me. I mean WTF, 2 minutes in my pocket and this screen cracks. Used the nexus 7 for only 3 hours in total costs me $350 32 GB LTE.

I think we should file complains on BBB so they notice and they will need to fix it.

:mad:

When did you buy it? Is it under warranty, I hope?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Hna

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I find it a bit hard to believe on these stories. Feels like something is missing because I cannot imagine a screen cracking overnight or cracking with normal usage.
And inside, I really hope it's not true because if it is, I think it's serious and I hope I don't regret buying it.

Michael Suriel

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus hasn't dropped at all. Hasn't seen any kind of impact of any kind and now have a huge crack throughout my screen. Only the bottom right corner is usable. Nobody here is kidding. I'm beyond disappointed.

ChrisG553

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Everyone with hairline cracks should send your n7 to Asus. I cracked mine and sent it in to Asus service center and they repaired it free of charge, they deemed the crack was from a manufacturer default. Funny thing though is the crack was 100% my fault, I was sliding a toothpick between the screen and the top bezel because a dog hair somehow found its way between there. The pressure on the screen made it crack from top to bottom. I figured it was going to cost the amount of money they said it would ($208) so I didn't bother to unroot before sending and it was running paranoid Android and they still fixed it under warranty.

So yeah call Asus and have it sent in they will most likely replace it for free. Unless it has a crazy spider Web crack... That's obvious user damage.

Also to the poster that said it's incredibly fragile when dropped.. I dropped mine from 3 feet to a hardwood floor on the corner and it came out without a scratch. I guess it's just luck and where it hits.

Dan Lathrop

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Just dropped it today it took a good hit up on top near the mic spot. Only small portion of the screen works on the bottom by charging port. I'm hoping I can use a otg cable to hook a mouse up to it. I just got this at Christmas time.

Bediem

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well i can join you both on the cracked screen. I have had for 6 weeks.. I had taken my Nexus 7 out of the shoulder bad i carry it in and a very small crack 1/3 the way-up , which turned into numerous cracks all going in the same direction.. This leads me to believe that you are exactly right it has to do with a weak frame. I was never using it other than my desk. No Pockets. I am heart broken as i am in Lebanon and dont know how to approach this problem. The local ASUS reps dont even carry the model (i bought it in USA). Any recommendations?

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I had a broken screen on my Nexus 7 (2012) after a fall of about ****2 inches****, from my hand to the table. It was rendered completely useless. I bought a new screen on Ebay for about 50 bucks but I was not able to fix it. It was on a leather case.

I bought a second Nexus 7 (2013) and last week it fell to the ground.It was on another leather case. Its screen was completely shattered and, now I had 2 sofisticated paper weight with GPS, 4 cores, wifi working fine.... that i can?t acess because of the screen .

I?m done with the Nexus family..... My Ipad 2 suffered horrofic falls in the cheapest generic plastic case, even from the upper story of my house trough the stairs and besides some scary dents and scratches on the aluminum body, still works fine.

Kathie Cole

May 10, 2014
Visit site
How do you fix the nexus 7 cracked screen it is frozen and when you feel the crack it go's down none of the buttons work and it is so frozen it won't let me in!:mad:

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nunoenpereira

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

One more for the count. Mine broke over night while placed over a table inside a soft cover. The price for repair is the same as a new one for the lcd+front+gps module. I never knew it had a GPS module...

Best,

Jade jones

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I just had the exact same problem. I can't believe how fragile this device is. If we move with the theory that it is flexing causing the damage - it's been in my bag constantly and the bag was never dropped or mishandled. I took it out this morning, and the exact same hairline crack 2/3 of the way up the screen. So minimal, you can't feel it and won't see it when the screen is on. And likewise, half the screen works and the other half does not. I find it pretty curious both are devices damaged the exact same way. This is ridiculous, no device should break inside a case inside a bag. It's not like I had a laptop inside the bag that could have pushed against it. Spent half an hour on the phone with Asus trying to find out what to do - essentially I have to send it in and "if the service center is able to determine that the tablet broke without physical contact then they will fix it under warranty.... otherwise estimate to fix it is $208... could be less" . *facepalm* ... I feel like a moron when I said the screen cracked by itself, but that's pretty much what's happening here.

I'd like to know if other people are having the same issue, then we can point Asus Support to this forum as proof that there is some flex-issue causing hair-line cracks at a very specific part of the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital