Does your Prime randomly hesitate?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had a TF101 since it came out and loved it so much I decided to give to my wife and get myself the new Prime. It has been wonderful and is a significant upgrade from the TF101. Thinner, faster, brighter, better sound... just better.

But one thing I have noticed is that my Prime will randomly hesitate when playing games while my TF101 never did. I'm talking about normal tower defense games like Lair defense not super resource heavy games. The hesitation is very brief and resumes without much delay but I have found it odd that a system with this much horsepower should have this issue.

Anyone else notice this?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've found my Prime does have some random, brief pauses since installing the .14 update. It's not consistent, and I'm starting to think it's only when I first launch an app, as it seems to go away after that, but I hadn't noticed this behaviour prior to the update.

One thing I'd suggest is setting the CPU to Performance Mode when running games. Shouldn't really be necessary for games that worked fine on the dual-core models, but perhaps it'll help. There are some differences in how the Tegra 2 vs Tegra 3 work, so maybe these games just need to be optimized to work on it.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Since the update, my Prime no longer random reboots, but it now random hesitates. I got the Wait/Close message quite a bit.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've found my Prime does have some random, brief pauses since installing the .14 update. It's not consistent, and I'm starting to think it's only when I first launch an app, as it seems to go away after that, but I hadn't noticed this behaviour prior to the update.

One thing I'd suggest is setting the CPU to Performance Mode when running games. Shouldn't really be necessary for games that worked fine on the dual-core models, but perhaps it'll help. There are some differences in how the Tegra 2 vs Tegra 3 work, so maybe these games just need to be optimized to work on it.
That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip! I usually just keep it on balanced mode. I had the problem before the .14 update but it could just be a variation on giving it all the juice it needs. I don't think the TF101 had the options of decreasing the amount of HP that the Prime does so I will see if that fixes it.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Since the update, my Prime no longer random reboots, but it now random hesitates. I got the Wait/Close message quite a bit.
I have also seen a bit more hesitation and wait/close messages since the update. especially when doing program updates from the Market. I never used to notice and slow down when doing this but yesterday I had around 8 apps to update and the system did slow down quite a bit.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Huummm. Ya know. I've been on balanced mode ever since I got the thing. I'm switching to Performance mode tonight.

I didn't get to play with it much last night, but I plan on using it a lot tonight. So far from what I've used it, no hesitation, though.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Performance mode doesn't really help, i see it in all 3 modes

I've seen it in both the stock browser as well as Chrome and in other parts of the OS.

I can also say that even running a custom ROM the problem is still there. Granted the one custom ROM out right now is based pretty much on stock so they might not have figured out a fix yet. But I'm sure they will.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jonneh

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I see much more slow-down when it's downloading and installing app updates than I've ever noticed on my Android phones (DROID, Tbolt, GNex)

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Opening the market at all is somewhat slow, actually. But downloading updates is the laggiest, slowest piece of doodoo I have ever experienced with any Android device I've ever touched before. Definitely a downside of the Prime. Dunno if it's due to the wifi reception problems or what.

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I've noticed since day one that the Prime is painfully slow at downloading, installing and updating apps. Doesn't seem likely to be a WiFi problem to me, as speedtest and whatnot work fine for me and I've never had signal issues. It's gotta be something to do with processor usage/optimization, if you ask me.. but then again, the download process itself is also very slow as opposed to streaming data etc online...

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking it might have something to do with optimization of the Tegra3 - I'll be streaming a flash video online and when an update comes it seems like suddenly the focus is on the Market until those apps are all finished downloading and installing. Weird, though, since my single core phones never seemed to have an issue with that. Hopefully something that'll be ironed out. Asus has really impressed me with their support for this thing. If this is what life would be like in a world where Verizon didn't have to approve software updates and manufacturers didn't take forever to push them because they have to add their "enhancements," then sign me up. Well, actually, that's exactly what pushed me over the edge to get the GNex :)

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I, too, have been extremely pleased and impressed with ASUS's update team. It's incredible. There are updates all the time. It's almost like my Prime itself is a good app in the marketplace with an amazing developer who pushes updates weekly, sometimes daily, lol. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Prime, even with the somewhat weak wifi at times away from my personal router at home. But there is definitely something wrong with the way updates from the marketplace are handled, that's for sure. I wonder if ASUS is aware yet (I haven't seen it talked about anywhere before, until now in here). If they are, I am willing to bet big money that they are already working on debugging it and getting another update ready.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya I tried it over the weekend on Performance mode and still get the odd hesitation. It isn't major but does show up once every 30-45 minutes.