Download is online

CaliberSRT4

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had my hopes up.. it worked for some people. But I'm not willing to risk. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I, like many, others have used this method and have made it through to ICS successfully. Although the road for me was more difficult than others, I got it working.

The steps provided to unbrick your phone do help, just make sure your phone is charged. Using this method brings your phone back to Gingerbread, but also resets your phone to stock settings.

I don't recommend doing any of this if any of the steps confuse you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX with ICS using Android Central Forums

Reactions: sspartan

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So, you first need to put a recovery on it? Or is there already one in the software?... My wife has the Maxx, but if I brick it once, even if only for a few minutes, she'll never let me touch her phone again, so I want to be clear. Didn't go through all 57 pages of the post, but almost everyone I read said they bricked it first, before they got it running.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
So, you first need to put a recovery on it? Or is there already one in the software?... My wife has the Maxx, but if I brick it once, even if only for a few minutes, she'll never let me touch her phone again, so I want to be clear. Didn't go through all 57 pages of the post, but almost everyone I read said they bricked it first, before they got it running.

There is almost a 50% chance you will have a "soft brick" on your first attempt. You CAN get it back to Gingerbread if all does not go well, but if circumstances are as you say, I would not recommend it.

EDIT: Also, if you do have to unbrick her phone, she loses all her settings, which I don't think will help your case none :x

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I just need to know if there is a recovery in the software already, or if I have to throw one on... I'm like 10 pages in, and the OP keeps saying it needs to be "PURE STOCK", but I've always had to throw CWM on to use recovery... If I have to put one on, I think I'll just let her wait...

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I had no issue installing that file, I've been using ICS since Saturday night. I was rooted and had bloatware frozen, I just unfroze, backed up and saved root and installed update from SD card. Now it didn't work the first time, and it got stuck at the Moto boot screen, but a simple soft reset and tried same update via SD card and it worked just fine, reloaded root and I was good to go, only issue I had was the WIFI Teather app I had while on gingerbread didn't work, but I found another teather app that works with ICS.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I just need to know if there is a recovery in the software already, or if I have to throw one on... I'm like 10 pages in, and the OP keeps saying it needs to be "PURE STOCK", but I've always had to throw CWM on to use recovery... If I have to put one on, I think I'll just let her wait...

Yeah the recovery should be there. Just power down, hold both volume keys+power button and the recovery option should be there.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the recovery should be there. Just power down, hold both volume keys+power button and the recovery option should be there.

Sweet, thanks man! I'm on page 20 something and STILL no actual mention of if the recovery is stock or 3rd party... And the only ones that don't have any real problems are people who sound like they know their way around a rooted phone, which was making me think they just turned S-off...

rpsilva1995

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I used to update my blackberry before the official update all the time. But I haven't done it with and Android phone yet... is it about the same or is there a step by step forum saying how..

Sent from my DROID RAZR

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Sweet, thanks man! I'm on page 20 something and STILL no actual mention of if the recovery is stock or 3rd party... And the only ones that don't have any real problems are people who sound like they know their way around a rooted phone, which was making me think they just turned S-off...

Well the recovery is definitely stock and no third party should be used. Just a heads up though. The problems I had were related to recovery. From what I've read, there are two different types of recovery mode in Gingerbread and only one of them can update the phone successfully. You might've read something of the like (from a user named stealth45 I believe).

I had the version of recovery that didn't complete the update, therefore leading me into a "soft brick". I had to use DroidRazrUtility 1.7 to bring my phone back to Gingerbread, which THEN gave me the correct version of recovery needed to update.

There have been reports of people not needing to go the route I have and have one-shotted the install, but it just meant that I had to go through a couple more steps to be covered in Ice Cream Sandwich :p

If you plan on attempting this, I HIGHLY suggest you have the phone at 100%, seeing as that IF things don't go well, you want enough battery to get you through the unbricking and so on and so forth.

Reactions: edoublediz

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that. If I get an error, power down and boot back to recovery again, clear cache again and it supposedly updates the new recovery and allows you to continue the update... Charging her phone right now. ;)

Snowcrash45

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The reason why it soft bricks the first time then works is it loads the ICS recovery the first time. Then it flashes fine using that. Been there done that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The reason why it soft bricks the first time then works is it loads the ICS recovery the first time. Then it flashes fine using that. Been there done that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I see. So when it goes through the first install, it partially installs ICS, including the recovery, but fails? Even after trying after the first attempt multiple times, I would get the same package error (Status 0 or something), I couldn't get it to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene