Dropped Nexus 7

kieran cosgrave

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new here so tell me if I'm in the wrong place! I got a Nexus 7 for christmas, love it, didnt think it would be as good as it is, or was. Monday night the little 5 year old knocked it off the couch, two feet high probably, on to the timber floor. I thought nothing of it, but when i went over to turn it on, it wouldnt! I plugged it into the charger and the backlight came on, but just a fizzle. It wont turn on no matter what I do. Does anybody know whats wrong with it? Im going to Currys/Pc World at the weekend and see can they sort out a replacement, but would rather know if they're is a fix for it. Thanks

m223464

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've dropped mine onto concrete from 5 foot and it survived albeit with a corner of the glass chipped off so it sounds odd it'd fail after such a small drop onto a more forgiving surface though I guess it can depend on how it lands.

Mine wouldn't turn on yesterday when there was over 10% battery life. When I plugged it into a socket charger the screen flickered, however, charging via my PC was fine and it switched on after I left it charging for a while.

Gareth

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new here so tell me if I'm in the wrong place! I got a Nexus 7 for christmas, love it, didnt think it would be as good as it is, or was. Monday night the little 5 year old knocked it off the couch, two feet high probably, on to the timber floor. I thought nothing of it, but when i went over to turn it on, it wouldnt! I plugged it into the charger and the backlight came on, but just a fizzle. It wont turn on no matter what I do. Does anybody know whats wrong with it? Im going to Currys/Pc World at the weekend and see can they sort out a replacement, but would rather know if they're is a fix for it. Thanks

It is very possible that the battery has come unplugged. The connection isn't very secure and there are quite a few posts about this happening, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Pop off the back cover and check the battery connection. You can search on youtube if you need help doing it.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks after I got it when my 2 yr old dropped it. I exchanged it but everyone said the battery prob came loose. Sounds like a common issue because it's not snug, some people modifying it to make it snug

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kieran cosgrave

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a million! got it to work, happiest day of the year :p ! The cable from the battery was more than half way out, so I have put a bit of tape on it now! Thanks everyone! :)

Josh White

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I got a Nexus 7 about a month ago, but while at work I dropped maybe 1-2 feet up and the same thing happened to me so I took it back to walmart and got a new one. Then yesterday (Sunday) I dropped this one on to carpet and in a case and it did the same thing.. Not sure why it does it but it is kind of annoying. The durability was rated better then an iPad mini but I have to treat it with extreme care. I am taking this one back today and getting a new one.. maybe I need a better case?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I got a Nexus 7 about a month ago, but while at work I dropped maybe 1-2 feet up and the same thing happened to me so I took it back to walmart and got a new one. Then yesterday (Sunday) I dropped this one on to carpet and in a case and it did the same thing.. Not sure why it does it but it is kind of annoying. The durability was rated better then an iPad mini but I have to treat it with extreme care. I am taking this one back today and getting a new one.. maybe I need a better case?

I just hope you don't have any kids, I doubt the return policy on them would be quite so generous...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Did you try the fix explained in this thread?

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you should just try not dropping them?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you should just try not dropping them?

I highly doubt he is content with dropping his devices. Sarcastic comments aren't constructive; a dropped device can happen to anyone.

I'd follow mathelm's advice and try the fix in this thread; pull off the back cover and ensure the power connections are secured.