Dropping phones

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Over time on the forums I hear a lot about people dropping Cell phones.
And later on having problems with their phones. Weather its the battery not holding a charge or other problems.

I have been flying RC planes for a little while.
What does this have to do with Cell phones you ask.

Remote Controlled planes has batteries in them.
The batteries come in different makes.

Seen planes that are crashed and the batteries damaged but you can't see it
When you put the battery on a charger, they catch fire .

I'm starting to believe that when people don't have their cell phones in good cases.
And according to how their phones takes the impact. Could be how they act later on after they are being used when somebody has dropped them.

And at the same time. Wondering when people carry their phones in their pockets how much they flex the mother boards . And how much it flex's the batteries.
All we do is sit back and blame the MFG of the Cell phones on what happens when we use the phones.
This could tell a lot about how cell phones work also from how they are being carried and all.
Food for thought.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Some people abuse their phones. I find it hard to believe that anyone would stick a phone, especially a large one, into a rear pocket, but there you are. "I'll just put this £600 micro-electronic device into my jeans pocket, and perhaps sit on it," they presumably think. "It'll be all right."

Look at this picture of LG engineers pandering to that in the design of one of their wonderful products. If I were the manufacturer, I'd instruct the user NOT to put the phone there.😡

909076bab980a8b3080bb0163d5bd51d.jpg

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What !
Tell consumers that they are carrying their phones all wrong.
To put them in a case and wear them on their sides. So it ain't so.
Consumers want to do things their way.
Would bet you more people carry them in their pocket than any other way.
I see people got their phones in their shirt pocket.
And everytime they move it falls out and hits the floor.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit I've done the latter when wearing sleeveless jackets with many pockets, but in my case I have a good excuse:

...Wait, I don't have any excuse.

Regarding manufacturers: I'm reminded of Ettore Bugatti, who in response to a customer's written complaint about some fault that developed with his car, wrote back 'See that it does not happen again!'

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your very informative and thought-provoking post, OP! My phone is rarely in my pants' pocket because of my irrational fear that it will "bend," but you never know what could happen when you drop it, or shove it in a jacket pocket (guilty). Thanks again!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think the majority of people see the devices as something they use to communicate and it doesn't have much sentimental value to them which is why not much care is given. A lot of the people here, are the opposite, and we chat about the best cases and screen protectors ect. :)

I mostly keep my phone in my laptop bag when I'm in class or at work. I prefer to keep it away from my pockets. Just in case i sit on it or something hits my leg and potentially cracks the screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the majority of people see the devices as something they use to communicate and it doesn't have much sentimental value to them which is why not much care is given. A lot of the people here, are the opposite, and we chat about the best cases and screen protectors ect. :)

I mostly keep my phone in my laptop bag when I'm in class or at work. I prefer to keep it away from my pockets. Just in case i sit on it or something hits my leg and potentially cracks the screen.

Agreed! I put my Honor 8 in a ziploc bag in my purse until my tempered glass screen protector came in the mail... LOOL.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the majority of people see the devices as something they use to communicate and it doesn't have much sentimental value to them which is why not much care is given.

Yeah... we're guilt of selection bias here... people here, in particular ACTIVE people here tend to treat their phones with a lot more care and respect than the general public. The majority of users don't put much effort into taking care of their phones. They'll just chuck them into a bag with a pile of junk, put them in their back pockets and sit on them, etc.

I have two young kids and I've made it a point to impress upon them that they should treat phones with respect. They aren't toys, or cheap pieces of throw away tech... and they have taken it to heart... to date neither has broken a device because of carelessness.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... we're guilt of selection bias here... people here, in particular ACTIVE people here tend to treat their phones with a lot more care and respect than the general public. The majority of users don't put much effort into taking care of their phones. They'll just chuck them into a bag with a pile of junk, put them in their back pockets and sit on them, etc.

I have two young kids and I've made it a point to impress upon them that they should treat phones with respect. They aren't toys, or cheap pieces of throw away tech... and they have taken it to heart... to date neither has broken a device because of carelessness.

You're very right. A lot of people don't treat their phones as if they're an expensive, delicate and carefully made piece of technology. And this holds true whether you have a midrange, used, like-new, or flagship device. I've regretted putting my phone in my purse and not in a purse pocket, and I'm always worried about things like cracks and dings. Phones are expensive to fix and they're quite a significant part of one's day - even if you only use it for communication purposes.

When my LG G3's battery was on the fritz for months, I suddenly realized something: I've just moved into my own place, and this is my ONLY form of communication with the outside world - I don't have a landline. If I'm stranded or if the battery dies or the phone completely shuts down, I can't call or contact anyone. Sure, there's email, but making a phone call is still the fastest way to get a hold of someone, in my opinion.

I guess that experience has really taught me the significance of smartphones and in relying on phones to work as they should (ie, the phone shouldn't take twelve hours to charge; it should get good reception; etc).

Tangent over! :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You're very right. A lot of people don't treat their phones as if they're an expensive, delicate and carefully made piece of technology.:)

Well, they are sheltered a bit from the cost at times. For some, the price was buried in a carrier contract, others it was a $20/$30 a month charge... others it was a device given to them by their parents. So there are plenty of people walking around treating a $700 piece of high tech like it's a cheap piece of junk, abusing the hell out of it. Then when the screen cracks or it just up and stops working, they blame the phone for being a cheap piece of junk.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, they are sheltered a bit from the cost at times. For some, the price was buried in a carrier contract, others it was a $20/$30 a month charge... others it was a device given to them by their parents. So there are plenty of people walking around treating a $700 piece of high tech like it's a cheap piece of junk, abusing the hell out of it. Then when the screen cracks or it just up and stops working, they blame the phone for being a cheap piece of junk.

This is very true! And then there are those who buy the phones outright, unlocked, and still abuse them; despite having already absorbed its full cost.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Agreed! I put my Honor 8 in a ziploc bag in my purse until my tempered glass screen protector came in the mail... LOOL.

Don't feel bad about the ziploc bag. :D haha

My mum kept here phone in a sock for 2 weeks! until she finally decided on a case for it lol. Not going to lie, it was pretty funny every time she took here phone out and her friends around. They were like, whats with the sock hahah :D

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel bad about the ziploc bag. :D haha

My mum kept here phone in a sock for 2 weeks! until she finally decided on a case for it lol. Not going to lie, it was pretty funny every time she took here phone out and her friends around. They were like, whats with the sock hahah :D

LOOL whatever gets the job done!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy