Dust Under the Screen...

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I emailed Sprint and got this response:

“Thank you for Contacting Sprint with the problem with the HTC HERO
handset.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Your phone currently has a manufacturer's warranty effective one year
from the date of activation. Because it is not possible to test your
phone remotely, please visit a Sprint Store so an on-site technician can
conduct a diagnostic test to confirm the defect is covered under the
warranty as well as check the device known issue as well. We do not have
any information regarding the known issue regarding the dust under
screen……”

Guess I’ll take it to a local Sprint store and see what they can do. If nothing happens.. Maybe I’ll go through the Better Business Bureau.

There is no reason this should be happening to a phone that is a little over a month old.

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I also email HTC, this is what I got back:

We are sorry you are having an issue with dust under your screen. Please contact Customer Care at 1-888-356-2375 M-F, 8am – 8pm EST to see about warranty and exchange on your Hero.

Sincerely

HTC Support

..I'll call them later today and let you know what they say

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
After reading this post I have noticed more dust under my screen. I don't use a cover anymore because the phone slides in and out of my pocket better. But this is a little disheartening to have this much so soon. My iPhone also had some. I guess I will call and see where it gets me.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
After reading this post I have noticed more dust under my screen. I don't use a cover anymore because the phone slides in and out of my pocket better. But this is a little disheartening to have this much so soon. My iPhone also had some. I guess I will call and see where it gets me.

While all phones should be sealed properly the worst thing you can do is toss your phone into your pocket with no case what so ever. You are just begging for dust under the screen.

Again, it should be sealed air tight but...

larry313#AC

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
This is my most recent emails with sprint customer care after I talked to a guy who was just a ass from sprint customer care

Dear Lary ****erson,

Thank you for your reply

I am sorry to say that there is no other way to avoid the dust.

Thank you for emailing us.

Sincerely,
Kelsey K.
Sprint

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
That's great ...I already bought a cover and it has done nothing. It's
funny I have to buy a cover to keep dust from under a 500 dollar phone.
You guys sure do sell quality products. Again thanks for nothing.

On Feb 1, 2010 4:02 AM, "Sprint Customer Solutions
ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com" <ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com> wrote:

Dear Lary ****erson,

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to accumulation of dust
under the screen.

There is no possible solution to avoid the dust. You need to visit the
store to clean your handset. However, I suggest you to purchase a
handset cover for your handset. This will help you in avoiding the
dust.

Thank you for emailing us.
Sincerely,
Kelsey K.
Sprint

------------------------
AGAIN YOU GUYS ARE NO HELP WHAT SO EVER...IM ASKING IF YOU HAVE A
SOLUTION FOR DUST UNDER THE SCREEN!!!!!!!!

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Sprint Customer Solutions
ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com <ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com> wrote:

Dear Larry ****erson,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your concern regarding the faulty handset and I apologize
for the inconvenience you have gone through.

As it is not possible to test your phone remotely, please visit a
Sprint
Store so an on-site technician can conduct a diagnostic test to confirm
the defect. You can find the nearest Sprint Store at
Sprint Store Locator.

Further Total equipment Protection Programme (TEP) is also added on
your
account. You can get a refurbished handset by calling Asurion at
1-800-584-3666. There is $100.00 charge for getting refurbished phone
through Asurion.

I can apply a credit of $50.00 against the phone replacement charge of
Asurion. Once you get the handset from Asurion, please write to us
with
the scan image of receipts and we will apply the credit against the
handset charge.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to address your
concerns. Please reply to this email or visit Sprint.com/mysprint if we
can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Stela K.
Sprint

------------------------
I'm sure this is a auto response because u did nothing to
answer/resolve
my issues at all. I'm becoming more and more disappointed with Sprint
and your support.

On Jan 31, 2010 7:18 AM, "Sprint Customer Solutions
ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com" <ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com> wrote:

Dear Larry,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the Phone Issue.

It is deeply disappointing to know that a valued customer had to file
a
complaint. We pride ourselves in being focused on assisting customers.
I am sorry that your experience with us has not been consistent. We
assure you that your writing in to us will surely bring in a change.

As it is not possible to test your phone remotely, please visit a
Sprint
Store so an on-site technician can conduct a diagnostic test to
confirm
the defect. I have made a note on your account records so that the
store
associate assisting you will have a point of reference. You can find
the
nearest Sprint Store at Sprint Store Locator.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. Please reply to this email or
visit www.Sprint.com/mysprint if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Sandra
Sprint

------------------------

========================================================================
Original Question: dust under screen
Question: I got a htc hero a few months ago and within a few days I
noticed dust under the screen, I brought it in to the sprint store and
they took it apart and cleaned it....a month later the dust was back
so
I brought it back in and they attepted to clean it but this time they
broke the home buttons at the bottom and had to order a refurb phone
...I recieved that one and a month later it too had dust under the
screen. This time i called tech support to see if a fix has been found
yet before I go back to the store. The guy at tech support said he
couldnt find a fix in the computer and asked "what do you expect me to
do about it." when I told him it keeps happening. He then told me that
"I should just live with it because it isnt that big of a deal ",I
dont
want to 'live with it' and that response and tone from your employee
was
very rude. I should not have to live with it or have to repeatally
return to a sprint store and waste hours to have my phone cleaned out
every month. please respond with a resolution to the hardware issue
and
you employees rude behavior

Zerazac

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I love my Hero.. Dust and all. I took mine in and they removed the dust. While I was waiting I was playing with the Samsung moment and other phones.. I think The Hero is still the best (Sprint) phone.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
2 and 1/2 months of ownership, no dust issues. Got the hero after jumping ship from the Palm Pre experiment. Mine is s relatively new Hero with a born on date in late November, pretty close to when I got it. Definitely a "with Google" phone

mflava#AC

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There's some in the top right corner. I've had the phone for exactly 31 days and keep the phone in my pocket. I guess I need to take it to the Sprint Store for them to clean it out and I'll purchase a holster while I wait.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I got a call from HTC Technical Support yesterday. They advised that Sprint is now equipped to make the "repair" on my device, and get it ready to go. I wonder if that means they'll add something to prevent dust from collecting in the future?

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I got a call from HTC Technical Support yesterday. They advised that Sprint is now equipped to make the "repair" on my device, and get it ready to go. I wonder if that means they'll add something to prevent dust from collecting in the future?

Very interesting ...and encouraging. keep us updated!

ejqr5

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I went to a Sprint store last week and they said they couldn't do anything about it. My phone was so bad that I couldn't see anything in the top left corner. I called CS and they stated that they were not aware of this problem and it's the first she's heard. I had to go up the chain, but they sent me a new phone to replace the old one. I only wanted it repaired. I hope this phone doesn't have the same problem. Looks good after 1 weekend.

notasimpleway

Jan 30, 2010
www.kencaruthers.com
Update: The tech said that he had a tool ordered to pop the screen off so that he could clean it. He knew of this problem and seemed to know what he was talking about. So, I'm going back tomorrow.

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Update: The tech said that he had a tool ordered to pop the screen off so that he could clean it. He knew of this problem and seemed to know what he was talking about. So, I'm going back tomorrow.

Very cool... did he mention whether or not this would be able to keep the issue from happening? ...or is does this mean we have keep bring in the phone?

BurrDroid

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
For two cell phone companies (one that manufactures cell phones and one that provides the service) there is a serious lack communication here.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
HTC notified me that Sprint was prepared to make the repair (not only clean the dust off, but prevent further dust from entering), but when I went to the repair center, they told me they couldn't do any work on HTC devices in the first six months they were out! Called Sprint, and they contacted the center, and were told the same thing! Meanwhile, I went to Best Buy, since I have Black Tie service, but because I was four days past the 30 day limit, I'd have to send phone off for service. I will get back with HTC tomorrow to follow up with them! Somehow I should either get this phone repaired (in local center), or replaced!

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, here's an update on my earlier posts. I've been going back and forth between HTC, Sprint, and Best Buy, where I bought my phone. This is my 2nd Hero to have dust under the screen. Thought I'd post my messages back and forth with HTC:

HTC: Hello John, Thank you for your time on the phone this morning. Concerning your current HTC Hero for Sprint, I would like to address the report of dust under your screen. Since the manufacture date of the device is December 31st, it should not be affected by the same issue that allowed dust under the screen of the first run of this model. Since you reported that your current phone was provided to you with the button panel loose, then that appears to be the main factor in the dust that you notice towards the bottom of your screen. I will let you know if there is any further information that I can learn about the repair process through Sprint facilities. Thank you, Ryan HTC Technical Support HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs

ME: I went back to Best Buy, but because it's over the 30 day period, they say I would have to send my phone in for repair, which could take close to 3 weeks. I called Sprint Customer Support, and they called the repair center I used, and they only confirmed that they are unable to make repairs on this phone. I really would like to get this resolved, without having to be without my phone for several weeks. Any additional help you can give me would certainly be appreciated.

HTC: Hello John, Thank you for your response. I understand how important it is to be able to keep your phone. However, if Best Buy will not replace the phone, then I have two suggestions. First, you may contact our repair center at 877-293-0807, but will require sending in your device. Otherwise, according to my Sprint representative, the Sprint Service and Repair centers are supposed to take care of repairs within the first year. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. Ryan HTC Technical Support HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs

ME: I would really like for someone at HTC to contact my Sprint store, and give them the steps, tools, parts, etc. required to make the repair locally. Is there any way that can be done? That way - the most I might have to be without my device is a day... The store in question is: Sprint Store by Adcomm Digitel. Thanks so much for your help with this!

HTC: Hello John, I called your local repair center concerning repairs to a Sprint Hero. They stated that they did not have the process yet, but in cases where they could not repair phones then they will replace the phone if possible. This is consistent with what the procedure for Sprint Service and Repair centers as I was told from my headquarters. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. Ryan HTC Technical Support HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs

Bottom line - although HTC says they have sent the fix to Sprint (which I hear involves swapping out the screen for one that has better foam pads along the side to block out the dust), obviously Sprint has not sent this fix out to local stores (I called a 2nd repair facility 70 miles away - true Sprint owned service facility, and got the same reply).

So....what to do - have Sprint send me a refurb, which will probably not have the fix made, and may be an older build than the phone I have, or hang onto mine, with the hope that they can make the repair in a couple of months?

Would I be able to use the ##786# before activating the replacement phone to get the details on the phone they send me? That way I'd be able to check to make sure the phone they send at least has the fix for the dust problem (HTC has told me the production was revised sometime in the fall, after the end of October).