Dust Under the Screen...

mih0u5e

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I took my Hero to a Sprint corporate store in Tempe, AZ yesterday, dropped it off for 2 hours, and picked it up with no dust under the screen and the bottom button plate realigned.

The store rep said they cleaned out all the dust, and realigned the plate to hopefully eliminate dust from going back.

Not sure what method they used, or if it will stop future dust invasion... but they did clean it out.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Would I be able to use the ##786# before activating the replacement phone to get the details on the phone they send me? That way I'd be able to check to make sure the phone they send at least has the fix for the dust problem (HTC has told me the production was revised sometime in the fall, after the end of October).

Well, here's the latest update. Refurb received today was terribly scarred along the lower side, and when I started it up, it had a swipe password lock on it, so it hadn't even been wiped! I couldn't check the build date on it.

I called Sprint, they have ordered up another phone, and given me a $50 credit on my bill, but I'm not sure they'll get me a refurb that will be acceptable. If the next one to arrive is bad, I'm going to pitch for a new one!

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, here's the latest update. Refurb received today was terribly scarred along the lower side, and when I started it up, it had a swipe password lock on it, so it hadn't even been wiped! I couldn't check the build date on it.

I called Sprint, they have ordered up another phone, and given me a $50 credit on my bill, but I'm not sure they'll get me a refurb that will be acceptable. If the next one to arrive is bad, I'm going to pitch for a new one!

Here's the latest.....saw the credit show on my account this morning, but never received any confirmation about another replacement. I called, and...you guessed it...no order was placed. Appears in Tech Support they were blocked from making another order for me. Guess the lady I spoke to last night wasn't too concerned about that.

Went back to Tech Support today....said let's see if Account Services can send you a new phone. When I got to Account Services, they told me they didn't understand why I was sent to them, because Tech Support is the only area who can order me a phone. They tried to transfer me to a supervisor, but all I got was a voice mailbox. I hung up, and called Consumerist hotline (703-433-4401), and basically all they were willing to do was to have me go to the local repair shop, and have them order a refurb. So...two more stops to the repair shop required.

At this point, I think I may just hold onto my phone with dust until I can get it repaired locally....but I'm not too happy!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I now have dust under my screen. Hopefully I can take it to the Sprint store and they will clean it. Anyone have a dirty trackball yet? Have you had to have it replaced?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Just took my phone to the Sprint store to have the dust under the screen cleaned. It took about fifteen minutes. I asked the guy there if there was any way that I could prevent dust accumulating under the screen and he told me no. He said that if it gets bad again to just being it in to have it cleaned. I like that they were able to clean my device without any hassles. I figure about every few months I will take my phone in for a cleaning. Doesn't seem top bad to me.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Took mine to Sprint on Friday and got it cleaned. I asked the tech about the rumored "screen replacement" or improved surround that HTC is said to have provided to sprint and he said it was a complete lie/rumor. He took me back to his office and showed me his instructions for the issue and sure enough, it said to take it apart, clean it with compressed air, put it back together. No screen replacement at all. He also mentioned that the Hero will reach EOL (end of life) very soon so there won't be any screen coming.

I don't work for sprint so I can't verify anything except his instructions made no mention of screen replacement.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I am taking my Hero in to Sprint today for cleaning. After it's clean, are there any tips for keeping it that way? Rubber case? I have one but I don't like it. The phone is too bulky with it.

Thanks

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Took mine to Sprint on Friday and got it cleaned. I asked the tech about the rumored "screen replacement" or improved surround that HTC is said to have provided to sprint and he said it was a complete lie/rumor. He took me back to his office and showed me his instructions for the issue and sure enough, it said to take it apart, clean it with compressed air, put it back together. No screen replacement at all. He also mentioned that the Hero will reach EOL (end of life) very soon so there won't be any screen coming.

I don't work for sprint so I can't verify anything except his instructions made no mention of screen replacement.

I too work at Sprint and I've heard nothing of the Hero reaching EOL. They recently released trainings regarding Android 2.1 for both the Moment and the Hero.

Maybe he knows something we dont....

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I too work at Sprint and I've heard nothing of the Hero reaching EOL. They recently released trainings regarding Android 2.1 for both the Moment and the Hero.

Maybe he knows something we dont....

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Unfortunately, he didn't really go into any more details.

I think it is very logical though as the Droid Eris (sister to the Hero) launched on VZW on 11/6 and is reaching EOL in late May. The Sprint Hero launched on 10/11 so it makes sense (pun intended) that it would be ending soon. Also with the Evo knocking on the door in June, the Nexus one coming soon, The rumor that the Galaxy S is coming to Sprint, and the rumored LG LS680 said to be launching on Sprint, the phones which are getting a bit long in the tooth will definitely be going out to pasture soon.

Wish I woulda asked for more details just to see if he was speculating or actually knew something but knowing there are at least 3 phones but like 4 or more on the horizon, i figured it was bound to happen soon.