Dust Under the Screen...

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This seems to be a common issue with HTC devices. I had the same issue with the Touch Pro. 3 of them actually and then I gave up. A friend of mine had the same dust problem with countless HTC devices as well.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This seems to be a common issue with HTC devices. I had the same issue with the Touch Pro. 3 of them actually and then I gave up. A friend of mine had the same dust problem with countless HTC devices as well.

This does suck. Although I was told that the Hero wouldn't have this issue. I guess I was told wrong :(

Reactions: Jeremy

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Just got off the phone with HTC and the rep said that htc was notified with this issue on Tuesday . He opened up a trouble ticket and said once there was a resolution I would be notified and also he could not confirm with me if (with google) logo branded hero's had an anti dust thingamajig on it either.

Last edited:

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I noticed a bunch of dust under the screen a week ago but i could only see it under bright sunny day so i figured no biggie i'll keep it. A few days ago i noticed a few real big specks i could see inside under normal lighting and when the screen on etc... so i decided to trade it in for a new one. They were REAL noticeable.

Went to 3 sprint stores none of them would exchanged it. Two stores just said no they wouldn't exchange it because it was a cosmetic problem and they only allow an exchange if it messes with the phones operation. The 3rd store, the manager said it was normal, that all touchscreen phones have that problem, which is total BS.

All 3 places i asked why i couldn't exchange it for any reason in the first 30 days which I swear I've read was the official policy. Two stores said that only applies if something is wrong with the operation of the phone and one store told me no such policy exist.

So i just smashed the ****ing thing on the ground and used the insurance, so this phone cost me another $100 :( . I'll just buy my next phone through bestbuy or something. Not saying they would be better for sure but now i know sprint customer service is useless so why not try something else.

Still love the phone btw.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I noticed a bunch of dust under the screen a week ago but i could only see it under bright sunny day so i figured no biggie i'll keep it. A few days ago i noticed a few real big specks i could see inside under normal lighting and when the screen on etc... so i decided to trade it in for a new one. They were REAL noticeable.

Went to 3 sprint stores none of them would exchanged it. Two stores just said no they wouldn't exchange it because it was a cosmetic problem and they only allow an exchange if it messes with the phones operation. The 3rd store, the manager said it was normal, that all touchscreen phones have that problem, which is total BS.

All 3 places i asked why i couldn't exchange it for any reason in the first 30 days which I swear I've read was the official policy. Two stores said that only applies if something is wrong with the operation of the phone and one store told me no such policy exist.

So i just smashed the ****ing thing on the ground and used the insurance, so this phone cost me another $100 :( . I'll just buy my next phone through bestbuy or something. Not saying they would be better for sure but now i know sprint customer service is useless so why not try something else.

Still love the phone btw.

If I am not mistaken you can return it for a full refund within the first 30 days... just another reason why I left Sprint a few years back.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
If I am not mistaken you can return it for a full refund within the first 30 days... just another reason why I left Sprint a few years back.

I agree. I would have said fine then if this is normal I will return it for a full refund. That way you can go purchase it again somewhere else. It is not normal at all. I returned mine to Best Buy for the same reason and received no problem at all. Sorry to hear they gave you problems.

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I would have said fine then if this is normal I will return it for a full refund. That way you can go purchase it again somewhere else. It is not normal at all. I returned mine to Best Buy for the same reason and received no problem at all. Sorry to hear they gave you problems.
I keep reading people having good experiences with bestbuys mobile department so i'll just get my next phone from there I think.

Sucks all the sprint stores by me are not good ones.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So how long do I have to have to have my Hero activated on my account before I can try and swap it out for dust? I bought one off of Craigslist, used but looks new, and I swapped ESNs online about a week ago.

NM08SRT8#AC

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
So how long do I have to have to have my Hero activated on my account before I can try and swap it out for dust? I bought one off of Craigslist, used but looks new, and I swapped ESNs online about a week ago.
Some say 30 days for insurance to take "hold" on your newly activated phone. I've along with many others have experienced "instant" coverage. You're fine to go now if you want. No need to wait.

lucky4meman

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I bought my phone at Best Buy and the phone signal went out. They said it was some software malfunction. Luckily I bought the black tie protection plan from Best Buy and canceled my insurance through Sprint. They matched the insurance price of $6.99 and there is NO deductible. With Sprint's insurance there is a $100 deductible. And Best Buy even covers water damage and there is no limit to how many times you can replace your phone. That is until some jacka$$ decides to take advantage of this and get a new one each week. But until that... life is good with Best Buy protecting my phone. I'd suggest you look into it.

Ginbill

Oct 30, 2009
ohhjohn.tumblr.com
Do you guys mean under the screen or in the grooves on the sides? I get dirt and stuff in the side groove lines all the time but not "under the screen"? Either way it's annoying. I keep trying to scrap it out with my fingernail but it doesn't work too well either.

nathanjb

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I got my Hero from Best Buy and had dust under the screen 2 days later. I was in Las Vegas for four days after I bought it so I returned it when I got home and had no trouble. I was in and out of Best Buy with a new phone in less than 15 minutes. Props to them!

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Same issue here..

If I go get mine replaced, will they give me a refurb or a brand new one? I'm with Sprint in the US and I've had my Hero for about 2 months now.

EDIT: Oh, and I pay extra per month for the insurance plan (about $7 more per month)

Last edited:

envoynv

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you guys mean under the screen or in the grooves on the sides? I get dirt and stuff in the side groove lines all the time but not "under the screen"? Either way it's annoying. I keep trying to scrap it out with my fingernail but it doesn't work too well either.

I have had success using a receipt. Any receipt is flexible enough and durable to scrap out that dust in the side slots.

I am annoyed by this too.