DVD to N7

ChrisPdx

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Greetings all. So I'm looking for the best way to rip a DVD that I own to a format to play on my Nexus 7. My laptop is a MacBook. So software suggestions? Format suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all. So I'm looking for the best way to rip a DVD that I own to a format to play on my Nexus 7. My laptop is a MacBook. So software suggestions? Format suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I use 123 DVD copy Platinum for PC. I don't know if it comes in an Apple version. It is a paid program you can get at Best Buy, but it's the only one you can buy in a store that has decryption ability and it rips blu rays in .m2ts format.
It also will convert to various formats for different devices. Mostly I've used it to make .mp4 or .m4v to make the file sizes smaller, or to reduce the bit rate for better streaming. It can also convert the audio from DTS to AC3 for better player support.

.m2ts will play without conversion, but .vob for SD DVDs will not. I think you can just change the extension from .vob to .mpeg and it will play, or you can use 'VOB Merge' to combine them and change to .mpeg

As far as 'formats' go, you have to worry about the 'container' and the 'contents' for a video file. Just because the file extension is the same doesn't mean it will play.
Almost all formats (containers and contents) will play with MX Player. The questions are: Is it going to be streamed or stored on the playing device? Will it play using HW acceleration? Is the file the size I need it to be? Is the bit rate playable? Is the sound format playable? Are the subtitles needed or playable?

So you see, your question has too many variables to make suggestions. Mp4 is probably the best format for the N7.
This video format thing is a NIGHTMARE! Good luck.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
One other thing.. For discs that Handbrake can't rip directly, I can often use dvdshrink to create a .iso image, and then use Handbrake to make the mp4. For ones with crazy protection I go with too mucho trouble to bother. :) I can't yet bring myself to buy software to do the rest.

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I paid for a program called, I think, leawo that works really well. Of course I tried it first before buying. What I saw when I was searching for one is there are many different options. Probably many good ones too. I've also used dvdfab before as well.

Posted via Android Central App