Dysfunctional "Do not disturb" trying my patience

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I guess I'm reaching the end of my Pixel 2 honeymoon phase. The DND function is a source of major frustration.

The factory preset rules worked only some of the time. Often, DND did not turn off as scheduled, causing me to miss important calls. With an 8-month- pregnant wife, I simply cannot afford a phone that makes me miss calls.

After much googling, I found a thread on which someone reported that deleting all preset rules and relaxing them with new ones fixed the issue, so I did that...

...only to find that when checking in the middle of the night, DND was off when it should be on.

It is beyond me how Google apparently can't figure out how to properly program a function as simple as DND.

Anyone else experiencing the same and know about fixes?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
my DND works perfectly. Turns on at 9pm Sunday - Thursday and off at 6am the same days. Never had issues, even though I just changed the presets on the phone.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My DND works perfectly on my Pixel 2 XL 128. I use it every day. In my Contacts I have a "star" on my wife so her calls will always ring when DND is turned on.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
There are times when certain things seem to break through my DND time, regardless of rules. I currently allow starred contacts to get through for obvious reasons but, on occasion, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, Twitter and text messages will sound their alerts well before the DND time is up. It's an annoyance, to be sure, but thankfully only happens on occasion. I have not been able to determine a pattern or root cause yet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is unfortunate, OP, and I can certainly understand your frustration on this (and congratulations, by the way!). Hopefully this all gets sorted out for you soon!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if some app is messing up the DND settings.

This could very well be the case. Are you using a third-party alarm clock app or anything else that could potentially mess with DND?

It's sometimes not an exact science - I have an Honor 8 (a Huawei phone) and can remember a time or two when I'd get a notification while under DND. Annoying when I'm in bed and trying to fall asleep haha.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 6p use to act weird to the point where I adjusted my DND timeframe because a 5am alarm and a 6:30am DND end time would cause my alarm to not go off. I have not had the issue with my Pixel 2. I wish I could be of help.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You could run in Safe mode one night and see if DND works properly. If it does then you know that some 3rd party application is causing your problems.

That's a great idea. A lot of issues are third party apps. A lot of third party apps are fantastic, but some do cause interactions with the OS that screw things up sometimes.

MaluTapiMau

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
This happens every week for me (once or twice a week) where DND did not switch back to the normal mode (i had it set from 8pm to 7am the next morning, everyday) and i had to turn it off manually.