Easiest way to shut down apps running.

Warren Tom

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
What's the easiest way to shut down apps after you have opened a ton of them? On my Galaxy Nexus I would hit menu key and swipe to turn them off. But I have no idea how to do it on LG G2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What's the easiest way to shut down apps after you have opened a ton of them? On my Galaxy Nexus I would hit menu key and swipe to turn them off. But I have no idea how to do it on LG G2.

You should have a soft key on the right that has 2 rectangles overlaid. That is your recent apps button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The question of what happens to apps when you swipe them away from the Recent Apps list has been much debated. The bottom line is that swiping away an app doesn't actually kill the app, although from what I understand, it may stop the background process while leaving any service intact.

Here's a pretty interesting discussion about it:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112013-how-multitasking-works-on-android-and-ios/2

There's also a comment to that article by Dianne Hackborn, who I understand is a notable Google engineer, who says this: "Actually, removing an entry in recent tasks will kill any background processes that exist for the process. It won't directly cause services to stop, however there is an API for them to find out the task was removed to decide if they want this to mean they should stop. This is so that removing say the recent task of an e-mail app won't cause it to stop checking for e-mail."

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You've never used a G2, have you?

I looked at images of the G2 and what I thought I saw was a recents button. After seeing your comment I looked again and found out to be a menu key.

My mistake.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You've never used a G2, have you?

As Ambassadors, we don't get any extra phones to test or to use for free--it's just what we bought on our own. Golfdriver97 was trying to be helpful, so give him a little break, yeah?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The question of what happens to apps when you swipe them away from the Recent Apps list has been much debated. The bottom line is that swiping away an app doesn't actually kill the app, although from what I understand, it may stop the background process while leaving any service intact.

Here's a pretty interesting discussion about it:

Page 2 - How multitasking really works on Android and iOS | ExtremeTech

There's also a comment to that article by Dianne Hackborn, who I understand is a notable Google engineer, who says this: "Actually, removing an entry in recent tasks will kill any background processes that exist for the process. It won't directly cause services to stop, however there is an API for them to find out the task was removed to decide if they want this to mean they should stop. This is so that removing say the recent task of an e-mail app won't cause it to stop checking for e-mail."

While this is true with stock Android I'm pretty sure in the LG UI it does kill the app. When you hold the home button it brings up the apps, at the bottom there is a "Clear All" and "Task Manager" button. You can click on the Task Manager before swiping anything away and it will show the apps that are open. Then swipe away the apps and open up the Task Manager again and the apps are now closed. So I'm guessing that LG baked this into their UI unlike stock Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995