Email App for S10

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I just switched to S10 after 3 HTC phones. I really liked the HTC email app, but it only works on HTC Phones.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.android.mail&hl=en

So trying to find a good app that does a few things.
1 - Change the number of lines shown. Seems Samsung only can show one line and short Subject info. I have 3 showing in my old phone.

2 - Be able to open a single email, when there are multiple emails with same subject. It seems gmail and samsung open all the emails in the thread and its hard to delete one or just see one of the emails in the bunch. With HTC you open it up and see 3 lines of each email separately before having to open the email itself. Its a hybrid between Standard and Conversation.

3 - Clear color differences between different email addresses. The Samsung colored dot is not that helpful. HTC has the entire subject a different color for each address.

4 - Also HTC has a box with each email, so really quick to delete single or multiple emails.

I guess I am looking for clear and manageable, as opposed to condensed.
I checked out a few of the "10 best email apps" articles, but they do not really tell you much about the details and to test them you basically have to add all your addresses, and then gmail thinks someone is messing with your account.
So I would appreciate any suggestions for the the above criteria. Thank you very much

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not use the gmail app. I have a few gmail accounts, some aol accounts, a yahoo account, etc. Just like the setup as I describe and wondering if there is another app like that. The Gmail app is not exactly like that.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I use BlackBerry Hub + inbox. I have 5 different email accounts that I use with it. You can make each email account a different color on the left side, so it's easy to see which account is what. You also can add Facebook, Twitter, etc to show up in the Hub also. I just have my received texts and incoming call logs in it with my emails.
I don't really know how the HTC email looked or worked, but it sounds similar to what the Hub does with email. My Gmail in it sometimes puts multiple emails together in one box if they come from the same sender, but it does break them into separate emails in the one slot. Each one can be deleted independently. The BlackBerry Hub + is really like having a unified inbox for a lot of things. I'd check it out on the Playstore, it might be what you're looking for. I've been using it since the BlackBerry Os10 days and I'm now on a S10+ and it works great for me. Hope this helps!

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
I use BlackBerry Hub + inbox. I have 5 different email accounts that I use with it. You can make each email account a different color on the left side, so it's easy to see which account is what. You also can add Facebook, Twitter, etc to show up in the Hub also. I just have my received texts and incoming call logs in it with my emails.
I don't really know how the HTC email looked or worked, but it sounds similar to what the Hub does with email. My Gmail in it sometimes puts multiple emails together in one box if they come from the same sender, but it does break them into separate emails in the one slot. Each one can be deleted independently. The BlackBerry Hub + is really like having a unified inbox for a lot of things. I'd check it out on the Playstore, it might be what you're looking for. I've been using it since the BlackBerry Os10 days and I'm now on a S10+ and it works great for me. Hope this helps!
An excellent choice!

Works great on my S10+. Email engine is super fast and the app itself installs securely and data is protected, with no snooping by Google and others. There is a monthly charge to remove ads but it's worth it.

scorpio11

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I also use the BlackBerry Hub + Inbox. I was a BB user for years until recently switching to the S10+. I tried all sorts of email apps, and went back to the Hub because it does everything I want and is able to handle multiple email addresses (and other apps) easily. WELL worth the $1.06 a month!

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_20191122-130239-20191122-130401896.jpgScreenshot_20191122-130018-20191122-130402453.jpgScreenshot_20191122-125741-20191122-125820892.jpg

I guess people like BlackBerry app. I looked and it got mostly bad reviews on Play store, but I will take a look.

Most of the email apps list a whole bunch of technical things they do, but it does not tell you what it looks like. I am sure most, even gmail, allow Standard or Conversation. But probably not hybrid, as my screen shots show. (I tried to upload the screen shots, but saying png was no good, so renamed them jpg, but not sure they will post on this reply.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I just installed BB hub inbox. Does not show more than one line of email. Was slow in loading emails. Only set up one email, but do not see how this is any different than Samsung email app. Thanks though

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just installed BB hub inbox. Does not show more than one line of email. Was slow in loading emails. Only set up one email, but do not see how this is any different than Samsung email app. Thanks though
Slow how? I have it on an S9 and it's instant. I have two accounts showing - personal outlook account and work Office365 account, both syncing forever, including calendar and contacts.

I like that I can set the account color myself. The Samsung email didn't allow that. It would set its own colors without any choice.

It also sets off the LED in the same color I chose. But, I know the LED was removed for the S10 (main reason I'll never get that phone).

Your right that it only shows one line in the main list, but that's not important to me. What is important to me is seeing sent mail in the main list without having to switch the view to the sent folder. The Hub+ Inbox shows sent mail with a check mark icon. I think only one other email app does that (maybe it's Nine?).

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Can't see how it was slow? I get emails faster on my phone using this app than I do on my PC using Outlook. Did you have all permissions enabled for Hub+ Inbox? You might also consider disabling the default Samsung email app.

As for display...yes it only previews the sender in the main screen, along with one line of text. More than enough when you are managing multiple inboxes. It also displays most recently placed calls and received text messages, and has the capability of pulling in notifications on an app by app basis. All of these features are configurable. Attachments are previewed along with the basic message info.

Too bad you had a bad experience but I definitely can't relate. I've tried the Samsung app and found there was a noticeable delay loading email messages. The BlackBerry app is designed to be fast and efficient in every aspect.

Last edited:

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dendron, funny, the first thing I did was turn off the sent mails in the inbox. I found it a clutter.
for security purposes sometimes I don't recognize the sender and it's good to have three lines so I can see what the email is about. To me that's more important. By the way you can change the color on the Samsung mail app now

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I guess people like BlackBerry app. I looked and it got mostly bad reviews on Play store, but I will take a look.

Most of the email apps list a whole bunch of technical things they do, but it does not tell you what it looks like. I am sure most, even gmail, allow Standard or Conversation. But probably not hybrid, as my screen shots show. (I tried to upload the screen shots, but saying png was no good, so renamed them jpg, but not sure they will post on this reply.

had not had my morning dr pepper yet (I work nites) but if the screen shots are what you are wanting, then just because another email app only shows one line does not mean it would not be three lines in yours - your font size seem larger. I was just looking at the app I use and almost have the same number of characters on one line.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks dendron, funny, the first thing I did was turn off the sent mails in the inbox. I found it a clutter.
for security purposes sometimes I don't recognize the sender and it's good to have three lines so I can see what the email is about. To me that's more important. By the way you can change the color on the Samsung mail app now
Interesting. Getting rid of clutter and doing things quickly are two of the main reasons I prefer the BlackBerry app.

Main thing is you find something that works for you. The Samsung email app is certainly one of the better ones out there, for sure.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
2 - Be able to open a single email, when there are multiple emails with same subject. It seems gmail and samsung open all the emails in the thread

I think you need to explore a little more. Samsung Email, by default on my phone, is set for Standard view (in Settings). It sounds like somehow you got yours set to Conversation view.

I guess my point here is, you sound very rigid in your thinking--but your knowledge, or assumptions, or whatever, about the alternative email clients clearly are not the result of full knowledge of how they work.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I will admit I don't know a lot about email apps but I will say over the years I've checked out a number of them. I know the difference between standard and conversation. What was nice about the HTC one was it was a hybrid it linked all of the same subject emails together but each one was a separate email. that makes it easy to delete the ones you don't want.
Also security is important to me and just having a 1 line email sometimes is misleading. I don't want to delete it sometimes if I can see more then I know what it is. Same thing is the emails show the name of the sender but then when you hit detail it doesn't show you the actual email address. The HTC app did this that's why I'm trying to find something that is similar. Thank you to anyone that might be helpful on this I appreciate everyone who has posted thank you again