Email/Hub Question Before Leaving BB10

anon(9733642)

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I currently use a Porsche Design BlackBerry Graphite P'9983. I want to make the switch to the Priv, have some concerns over the HUB. Generally speaking I just want to know if the HUB can be configured to work just like it does in BB10 minus the Peak, etc. Meaning, can I get my email, text, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn all in there so I can work through the HUB rather than the apps as I receive notifications?

With respect to email. I have 2 Yahoo, 2 Gmail, and 1 Outlook Account. Can I add all 5 accounts to the HUB just like BB10?

My confusion is the Gmail accounts. I'd prefer to not use the Gmail app. Can I delete the Gmail app use the Gmail account I use to setup the Google Account at activation, but use it in HUB instead of Gmail app? Does that make sense. My confusion is if I have a Gmail account in the app and HUB I will get duplicate notifications. So I'd rather not have the app and have everything in the HUB.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any insight anyone can provide would be great! For me this device is really about communication and social media. I'm ready for a larger phone and like the idea of having both the virtual and physical keyboard. I'm just not ready to give up HUB integration.

GeneralHerzog

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I come from a Z30.
My HUB has Yahoo, Hotmail, 2 ISP emails, texts, BBM, FB and Twitter.
I have a gmail account because google commands it but I do NOT have it in my HUB. It sits quietly in my google folder with the rest of the oracles apps that don't get used.
I do NOT get gmail notifications in my HUB. (save the gmail setup for last and don't link it to the HUB)

As was with BB10, whilst in HUB, you can check each account separately or as a whole.

anon(9733642)

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I come from a Z30.
My HUB has Yahoo, Hotmail, 2 ISP emails, texts, BBM, FB and Twitter.
I have a gmail account because google commands it but I do NOT have it in my HUB. It sits quietly in my google folder with the rest of the oracles apps that don't get used.
I do NOT get gmail notifications in my HUB. (save the gmail setup for last and don't link it to the HUB)

As was with BB10, whilst in HUB, you can check each account separately or as a whole.

Thanks for responding...but see that is my biggest concern. I already use 2 GMAIL accounts regularly, but really dislike the GMAIL application. Thus, I'd like my 2 GMAIL accounts in HUB. Would it work then to create a 3 account as the "Commanded" one like a JUNK account just for the Google Activation and use that in the GMAIL application and NOT link that to the HUB? That way I could have the 2 GMAIL accounts I use regularly in my HUB like BB10 and leave the other account created for the Google Account unlinked to the HUB? Maybe I'm crazy...but the thought of having not having my HUB setup the way I personally like it is enough to keep me away and my 2 GMAIL accounts are way to important.

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
You can choose to not link the third gmail account to the hub, but removing the gmail app will be more problematic. I haven't tried removing mine (or disabling it, since you cannot actually uninstall core apps). Having multiple accounts in your hub will work fine.

Coming from a Passport, the hub on android is not nearly as fully-featured, but it is still perfectly usable. I'm already used to it.

EDIT: i just disabled the Gmail app, and it seems to have worked. I'll update this thread if I experience any issues.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Have the Gmail app disabled and the hub handles all emails pretty well. Def not as full featured as the bb10 (can't use the triage). Takes a little longer to do stuff like delete en mass and no quick reply like on the berry but all in all a good combination.

Posted via the Android Central App

MPG Vancouver

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I moved to the Priv from the Z30. I have added 3 Gmail accounts, one ActiveSync account, & one POP account to the Hub. I disabled notifications for the Gmail app. All accounts are working in the Hub as they should.

anon(870071)

Trusted Member
Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this has been answered but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I currently use a Porsche Design BlackBerry Graphite P'9983. I want to make the switch to the Priv, have some concerns over the HUB. Generally speaking I just want to know if the HUB can be configured to work just like it does in BB10 minus the Peak, etc. Meaning, can I get my email, text, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn all in there so I can work through the HUB rather than the apps as I receive notifications?

With respect to email. I have 2 Yahoo, 2 Gmail, and 1 Outlook Account. Can I add all 5 accounts to the HUB just like BB10?

My confusion is the Gmail accounts. I'd prefer to not use the Gmail app. Can I delete the Gmail app use the Gmail account I use to setup the Google Account at activation, but use it in HUB instead of Gmail app? Does that make sense. My confusion is if I have a Gmail account in the app and HUB I will get duplicate notifications. So I'd rather not have the app and have everything in the HUB.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any insight anyone can provide would be great! For me this device is really about communication and social media. I'm ready for a larger phone and like the idea of having both the virtual and physical keyboard. I'm just not ready to give up HUB integration.

Yes to all your questions! The hub manages email accounts pretty awesome and you don't need the Gmail app which is recommended to deactivate. The hub will handle all your emails in real-time quickly and efficiently.

NinjaRAT

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Semi related question, I've moved to the Priv from a Z30, and routinely get spammed by our enterprise monitoring service (SCOM). With BB10 it was an easy affair to simply search for sender and delete previous emails.

As previously noted, this functionality didn't make it in translation (why not?), but are there any comparable messaging clients that provide better options for triaging mass emails?

Otherwise, I'm getting use to add really liking this phone.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a z10. The Priv hub is great.. And it deletes thing, better. I have Gmail and Yahoo mail. I don't use Gmail and the Yahoo works just great. But I had to turn off the "chatter" or what Gmail uses for Threads in their email. Can't stand the threads!

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a BB Priv... But I'm sure the Priv is just like any other Android device that has access to Play services in that Google requires some Google apps (like Gmail) be installed on the device and you can't remove them unless you root.

Far as accounts, you need at least one Google account setup to access Google services (like Play Store to download apps), when you do this that account is automatically setup in the Gmail app. You can't remove your account from Gmail app without completely removing it from the phone and you can't disable or remove the Gmail app. But if you don't want to use the Gmail app all you need to do is disable sync and notifications and just leave it in your app drawer and pretend it's not there.

Then you can set up that Gmail account again in the Blackberry hub. As long as you have sync and notifications disabled in the Gmail app for that account you won't get double notifications and Gmail won't automatically check for new mail.

Overall Android very customizable far as notifications, most apps allow you to choose whether you want to have notifications for it and its accounts. Or if the app doesn't allow you to disable notifications you can go into Android settings (Sound & notification) and force that app not to display notifications.

Last edited:

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure you got a general idea from other replies but I'll give my experience. I have 1 hotmail 1 Gmail and 2 unseen.is email accounts in my hub.. My biggest issue is only that push with my unseen is spotty but that's because it's from Iceland.

I don't have Facebook app (use browser) but my understanding is it will notify you but when you open it it will jump to the app.

I also disabled the Gmail app a long time ago and I have had zero issues with my Gmail account in the hub. But you are correct, if you keep the Gmail app with your activation email and also put the same email in the hub you will get duplicate notifications.

Most features are there but not as nice as bb10 which I hope improves with updates. For example there is no punch feature to filter your unread messages but instead a drop down box to do that. It's a little slower to boot up and sync, and a little bug when you highlight too many emails at once the delete button can disappear. But those can all be fixed with updates

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*

joski

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a Sony Z5P and threw on all available BlackBerry PRIV apps and the transition had been okay... I still miss the overall flow of BB10 and I'm happy that BlackBerry software is available on Android so I didn't have to manage with some weird launcher or email app.

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I picked up a Sony Z5P and threw on all available BlackBerry PRIV apps and the transition had been okay... I still miss the overall flow of BB10 and I'm happy that BlackBerry software is available on Android so I didn't have to manage with some weird launcher or email app.

They allow you to put the BlackBerry apps on non BlackBerry phones? I thought it was locked only to Priv the whole time

joski

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
They allow you to put the BlackBerry apps on non BlackBerry phones? I thought it was locked only to Priv the whole time

There's a rooted and non-rooted solution for this. I would have been miserable had this not been the case.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is BlackBerry apps but you have to get them thought the GooglePlay store.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

I think it would make more sense just to buy blackberry priv