EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

socca1157

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

I had a pre- since Aug 09 and even a Pre2 the last few months, but I hopped to the Evo 3D on Friday.

I do miss the physical keyboard. Texting has become slightly annoying. Using the swiftkey X beta keyboard, hoping it will grow on me.

I miss being able to swipe away individual notifications instead of just tapping "Clear".

Of course I miss the cards, but "Perfect Task Switcher" has made it better.

As for your texting app, go download "Go SMS Pro". It's pretty impressive on every level.

The Sprint TeleNav is also a LOT better than on the Pre.

If you are used to just typing the persons name, add "Call History" to the search settings. Helps a lot.

Also if you've been using Neato!, go check out "Chrome to Phone". Not as feature rich, but pretty much the same and for free.

Just a few observations from the last two days. Lovin the phone so far. :D

Reactions: crholt

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Considering making this move as well. The Touchstone is the one final detail holding me back...

I love my touchstones and have them at work, home, and in the car. Now I have a charger docs that you slide it on. I lookced at the PowerMats but I am actually just fine with the docks.

Any free battery apps that replace or at least sit exactly next to the original battery icon in the status bar? All I've seen sit off to the left side of the bar like a notification.
Not without rooting. Try the
4887d1292344409-getting-started-android-tips-tricks-battery-status-notification-widget.png
Battery Status. It works fine for me.

oneill590

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if this question has already been posted or not, haven't taken the time out to review every single one in this thread, so forgive me if it has. Are there any possibility of transfering all ( or even most ) of my sms text messages from palm pre over to my EVO 3d? I've done some research on this ( mostly google ), but so far its not looking promising. Figured ill give this forum a shot. Thanks!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm not too happy w/ the lack of "synergy"...

Don't like the dialer either...

Touchdown does it all, but doesn't integrate into the sense calendar or contacts. And costs $20...

My other gripe has to do with Google Music...
For the "lack of synergy", can you explain that a little? I think that Android Sync does everything that HP Synergy does.

Android can automatcially sync Exchange, Facebook, Flickr, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other accounts into your Calendar and Contacts. As friendsupdate their email addresses, birthdays, phone numbers, events, photos, and status, your phone is automatically updated.

Are you talking about Outlook Sync? Are you using Outlook Calendar Sync to keep your Google Calendar (used in Android) synced with your Outlook calendar. The Missing Sync for Android and CompanionLink for Google can sync Outlook contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, with Google (Android). I use CompanionLink.

For Exchange, everyone loves Touchdown. Just add it into your sync.

For music, I prefer Music Player ? Meridian ? TuneWiki.

Beaster1174

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I forgot to mention most people I know with launch day EVO 4Gs are still using the same ones! If it were a pre, they would have gone through three or four replacements already LOL. The one I traded in yesterday looked like it came straight out of the box except for one small scuff....and I didn't use a case!

I can confirm. I had a day one Pre, I was on my 3rd a year later when I got the EVO. One Evo survived the year to 3VO.

I really did love WebOS, and will miss some of it's features. But weak hardware and little support from developers made it hard to stick with it.

Beaster1174

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Lovin the new EVO 3D. Its everything I wanted the Pre to become 2 years ago. Anyone know of any potential problem with using the Pre usb cord and charger? The cord fits but i am not sure about using the outlet to usb adapter from Pre to charge my EVO 3D.

I've been using a Palm branded usb cord that came with my Pre on my EVO & 3VO with no problems. I'm sure they all function the same.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: webos-like messaging app

Is there any android app that acts like the webos messaging app to unify messaging in one place? And is there any way to control which app is handling incoming messages or is that entirely hidden from the user?

Try nimbuzz.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

I don't think you're understanding. I know there's a search button. I miss just going straight to typing to accomplish any task, without hitting a search button or finding your search widget or anything else. Just typing. It's not physically possible on this phone. Like I said, I will miss it, but I will get over it.

Well, you can't really just type on the Pre because you still have to pull out the keyboard and Android you have to hit the search button.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Is there a way to add Wikipedia to the Google Search option?

I too am missing the ability to just pull down my damn keyboard and start typing.

Yes, download the app and it will be there...some apps you download will make themselves available in the search for you to select as a search option.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Well, you can't really just type on the Pre because you still have to pull out the keyboard and Android you have to hit the search button.
Also forgetting on this phone: hit the power button, unlock with the ring, then hitting search. To me, and I'm sure a lot of other Pre users, it doesn't feel as convenient. I'm not really knocking it, it's just quite a bit different than what we're used to.

crholt

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site

Hello Everyone,

I am about to make the switch as well and have a wierd problem. I made an email account, put it on my Pre -, and then forgot the password. I would like to have that account on Evo 3D but I can not recover the password at all. (I misstyped my recovery email...twice....i know...lol)

Is there any way to "unhide" the passwords for email accounts on the palm pre? If not, when I switch phones, I will lose access to that email as that phone is the only place I have the password stored.

Any help would be apreciated..:'(

I think you'd have better luck asking this question on PreCentral, or contact whoever you have the email account with. I'm sure they'd have some way of resetting your password (after you prove your identity to them!)

crholt

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site

Damn, either the Precentral faithful had a massive defection to the E3D or we are just a pissed off minority but there are so many Pre threads here! haha I'm waiting for the FedEx man as I type this so I'll give my impressions later. I don't know why people cling to any platform, especially webOS, it will take HP YEARS to catch up to what is available today on iOS, Android and WPmango.

I'm with you Vick - Launch day Pre owner who was holding on and finally realized that it was way past time to move on. My son got an EVO 4G a couple of months ago and I was pretty impressed. Now with the 3D, I gotta do it. I'll be at my Sprint store tomorrow when they open to upgrade to a 3D :)

My thinking is that two years down the road, either webOS will have fulfilled its potential and I may switch back, or I'll stay with another great OS, Android.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Any reason why my phone doesn't light up when the screen is off to show me there's a new text message?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you're understanding. I know there's a search button. I miss just going straight to typing to accomplish any task, without hitting a search button or finding your search widget or anything else. Just typing. It's not physically possible on this phone. Like I said, I will miss it, but I will get over it.
If you buy a phone with a slide-out keyboard like the Epic or EVO Shift, then you can just slide out the keyboard to turn on the phone and then just type.

If you buy a phone that does not have a slide-out keyboard, you can't slide out the keyboard.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Would that make the phone light up showing that there's a message? I don't want pop-up intrusive notifications while USING the phone though.

It should light up for all messages, check your setting if you haven't already.