Evo V have locked 2nd core?

that_guy_

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded pass mark software from Google play on both my Xoom and new evo V... both are stock an not rooted. Xoom CPU outperformed evo v by over 25%. Evo v won in both RAM and SD/HDD access. RAM was Much better. Evo V won in 3d by around 20%.. but xoom was better in 2d.

This evo cpu losing to xoom is strange .. but stranger still, where you can read system specs in passmark. Xoom shows both cores working at correct speed, where evo v shows 2 cores, one working at 1.2ghz ...but the other says info unavailable... so anyone wanting to look into this issue can,... im dumping this evo v for my optimus v. This was for informational purposes only...

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an EVO V but I did use to own an EVO 3D. From what I know of that device, the cpu has asynchronous processing. Meaning it decides whether to run on just one core or both on its own. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Reactions: twin prime

Krobar

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
About phone in system settings says dual core. But i get same results in pass mark.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The second core is disabled when not in use. It doesn't idle, it's off. It's not locked, however. If you run something CPU intensive enough, the second core kicks on. You can easily see activity on both cores if you run an app like Micro CPU Monitor.

Reactions: twin prime

that_guy_

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
That is true about the Rom.. hopefully its something like that... Every benchmarking app I run on this unrooted Evo Vs versus an also unrooted xoom ....the xoom wins... By alot... (well..at least the CPU scores do..)

Last edited:

Krobar

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The second core is disabled when not in use. It doesn't idle, it's off. It's not locked, however. If you run something CPU intensive enough, the second core kicks on. You can easily see activity on both cores if you run an app like Micro CPU Monitor.

I can confirm this, open passmark. Go to where it lists your cpu, it will show cpu 0 on and cpu 1 unavailable. Run the benchmark and cpu 1 will show info just like cpu 0. Power saving feature I would imagine.

that_guy_

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You would rather a power hungry second core to be running at all times, than a second core that comes on only when needed...

Ohhhhkay.

no... I did not say that, I said the phone isn't worth $300 IF the 2nd core was locked... many cpu manufactures lock cores for lower end equipment as im sure your aware of... thus they charge less.. I only meant if THAT was the case.. Also it may just be my location.. but 4g doesnt work quite as well as i hoped.. kinda spotty coverage... but yet they gave sprint customers the newer/faster LTE before expanding their network coverage of 4G... (and before anyone says it- yes I checked the coverage map) Even in the middle of a covered area, that says it covers it 'indoors'. It discounts and loses signals OUTSIDE. So maybe I just got a bad phone:p lol or is anyone else having this 'issue'?

ill post my phones passmark stats and xoom stats.. i think somthing wrong with my xoom it crashes alot when running browser or Dolphin HD.. and loads pages much much slower than when it was new.. i have factory reset it a few times before but gave up.. im thinking about sending it to be checked or fixed..

Last edited:

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
:D

My XOOM also becomes slow when I use browser heavily for a couple of days and the XOOM is on. I then clear the Browser Cache and then also turn off the XOOM and turn it on. Then Browser speed becomes ok.

I bought my XOOM for USD 300 after Christmas 2011. The EVO V also costs USD 300. I get more real estate and better screen/graphics on XOOM than EVO V for the same money. Only thing is my XOOM is wi-fi and I can not carry the 10.1 inch thing everywhere easily (unless I carry it in a backpack).

The Software applications on Mobile phones have not caught up with the Dual Core hardware. These Apps must be coded to use parallel processing or multithreading. The Apps must direct code and data to each core so that each core kicks in.

Reference:

Multi-core processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following article also says that chipmaker vendors also need to optimize Android to take advantage of muti core CPUs.

Intel claims Android is not ready for multi-core processors - The Inquirer

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The following article also says that chipmaker vendors also need to optimize Android to take advantage of muti core CPUs.

Intel claims Android is not ready for multi-core processors - The Inquirer

Consider the source. Intel. They're trying to brute force their way into the Mobile/ARM market... and aren't doing that great of a job. You can very easily read Intel's remarks as "We're unable to get power consumption down when we build a Dual Core x86 SOC, so we're going to say dual cores and multithreading isn't needed on Android."

Anything Intel says about ARM and performance is simply not to be listened to. Competition scares them and they're still in the habit of sitting on their butts until they think they need to have a slice of the cake that has already been eaten.

Manicor

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Install Any Cut from the market, create a anycut shortcut, go to activities then select power saver settings. Uncheck reduce CPU speed! Now both cores are running.

mattrdahl

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
no... I did not say that, I said the phone isn't worth $300 IF the 2nd core was locked... many cpu manufactures lock cores for lower end equipment as im sure your aware of... thus they charge less.. I only meant if THAT was the case.. Also it may just be my location.. but 4g doesnt work quite as well as i hoped.. kinda spotty coverage... but yet they gave sprint customers the newer/faster LTE before expanding their network coverage of 4G... (and before anyone says it- yes I checked the coverage map) Even in the middle of a covered area, that says it covers it 'indoors'. It discounts and loses signals OUTSIDE. So maybe I just got a bad phone:p lol or is anyone else having this 'issue'?

ill post my phones passmark stats and xoom stats.. i think somthing wrong with my xoom it crashes alot when running browser or Dolphin HD.. and loads pages much much slower than when it was new.. i have factory reset it a few times before but gave up.. im thinking about sending it to be checked or fixed..

you do know that this phone only runs on sprints old wimax 4g network that has terrible coverage, and sprints 4g lte maps don't show where you would have coverage, also sprint is not expanding there wimax network anymore, and in about two more years they won't have wimax anymore so the 4g on these phones is kinda useless

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad